Status: Rewriting currently. Will update with some new content soon!

The New Drummer

Chapter Ten

Today was the first official day of tour and I was lying awake in bed at five a.m. I groaned lightly to myself knowing that Brian was sleeping soundly in the bed next to me and I didn’t want to wake the sleeping bear next to me. Everyone who went to bar last night must have stayed out late because Brian didn’t walk into this hotel room until two hours prior to me being fully awake. I don’t know how the guys did it but I knew I was going to learn about how to drink and not wake up hungover during this tour. I was currently debating on getting out of bed when my cellphone vibrated and I grabbed it from the nightstand and smiled when I saw that it was Matt asking if I wanted to join him for an early morning workout at the hotel’s gym. I quickly sent a reply and got ready. Dressing in the dark was one thing I hadn’t gotten used to quite yet since most of the time I got my own room and didn’t have to share with anyone. I grabbed what I assumed were workout clothes and threw them on. I tipped toed out of the room and headed down to the gym. When I reached the door, I could already see that Matt had started without me.

“So I take it you’re on babysitting duty,” I joked knowing exactly why I got the text message at five am.

“Why would I be on babysitting duty?” Matt asked as he put down a weight.

“Because it’s five am and Uncle Joe is icing me at any point for me to help set up the stage or anything that would be remotely close to my old job,” I said stepping onto the treadmill, “and you are the only person who will willingly get up at five am to work out.”

“You got all of that through a wanna work out text,” he said looking at me and I just smiled and shook my head yes.

Matt just laughed and we started working out together. After a couple of hours of just working out and talking, Matt and I decided to go get coffee at a Starbucks down the street from the hotel. We were talking about nothing really important until Matt brought up the first show tonight.

“So are you nervous?” he asked after we had ordered our coffees.

“Yes and no,” I sighed, “I’m nervous more about the backlash than the actual concert itself. I mean, after the interview and press for the new record there’s been a ton of positive comments and fans seem to be responding to me well but that’s just online. There’s always those negative comments but again its online, who knows what’s going to happen tonight before, during, and after the show. I just want things to go well, I know how important the fans are to you guys. I just don’t want to fuck up anything really.”

After my tiny outburst, Matt just looked at me deadpanned and they started laughing. I rolled my eyes as I grabbed our coffees and Matt just shook his head.

“Evie you have nothing to worry about okay,” he said, “You’re worried over nothing, trust me. From all the things I’ve also read and asked people out in the street, people love you. They’re wondering why it’s taken us this long to add a woman to our band. People have been wanting a girl Avenged member for years.”

I just rolled my eyes as he took a drink from his coffee cup and shook my head.

“You’re full of shit Matthew,” I said shaking my head, “but I’ll just play along to keep you happy. We’ll really see on what happens tonight then. But we should get going, I have to go get Brian up and win me some money.”

“In your dreams Mathers,” Matt chuckled as we stood up from the two person table and headed back to the hotel.

Twenty minutes later, I walked into the hotel room to an absolute miracle. Brian was dressed, ready, and eating breakfast before eleven in the morning after a late night of drinking.

“You feeling okay Haner?” I asked smirking at him sitting in bed eating what looked at a breakfast burrito.

“I feel like shit but I want to win money just as much as you do,” he said and I laughed, “I bought you a breakfast burrito. It shouldn’t be too cold, I bought it like ten minutes ago.”

I then grabbed the burrito off the dresser and took a seat in my bed. I looked up to see him watching the news figuring that was absolutely nothing on TV that interested him.

“TV that boring this morning?” I asked pointing to the TV and Brian and shrugged.

“Honestly I wasn’t really paying attention,” he said, “I just put it on for background noise. Thanks for the painkillers and water this morning. I appreciate it.”

“Anytime,” I said smiling lightly, “Figured you might need it this morning.”

Brian just smiled lightly at me and I returned the gesture. I finished my burrito and then stood up from the bed.

“Well I’m going to go get ready and then we can head down to the lobby and collect,” I said and Brian nodded his head, “Try and get a another nap Bri, we don’t have to be down for another couple hours.”

I then grabbed the things I would need and headed into the bathroom to get ready. After an hour of showering, blow drying my hair, putting it in a loose braid, doing my makeup, brushing my teeth, and putting on clothes and deodorant I finally dubbed myself presentable for the time being and headed out of the bathroom. When I opened the door, Brian was past out on his bed and I just laughed lightly and shook my head. I put my things back into my suitcase and grabbed my bag that I made sure had my phone charger in case my phone needed to be charge, book to keep me entertained when the guys were boring, extra drum sticks to practice with, since I managed to convince my father to let me take my practice kit with me, and my wallet so I could buy things if I needed them. Once everything was packed, I walked over to Brian and woke him up gently.

“Hey beautiful,” I said shaking him lightly, “Time to head down to the lobby.”

“Ugh,” he groaned rolling over to his back and looking up at me and smiled lightly, “I’m still hungover but I wouldn’t mind waking up to a pretty face like yours.”

I felt my cheeks heat up almost instantly and I just laughed lightly and rolled my eyes.

“Come on get out of bed,” I said ignoring the comment that came out of Brian’s mouth.

I had no clue where this flirty Brian was coming from but I wasn’t so sure I wanted to head down that path. I had a shit ton of baggage and I highly doubted that Brian would want to deal with it. I quickly then headed towards the door and saw Brian quickly follow behind me. We had just shut the door when I saw Matt and Zacky pushing the elevator button. Matt and I made eye contact and Matt just smirked as they got into the elevator and I grabbed Brian’s arm.

“We’re running down those goddamn stairs,” I stated dragging Brian to the stairs.

We had gotten down four flights of stairs before Brian started complaining about running down the stairs.

“All for money?” he asked huffing and puffing, “It’s not worth it.”

“That’s what you think Haner,” I said dragging him towards the last set of stairs, “I know you’re hungover as shit but I’ll buy you dinner if you win us this bet.”

I don’t know why but that statement changed Brian’s attitude and he then picked me up over his shoulder and ran the rest of the way. We had just reached the lobby and were catching our breaths when Zacky, Matt, and Johnny walked out of the elevator looking at us weirdly.

“You. . .fuckers. . .pay. . .up,” Brian huffed out as he was hunched over his knees.

“You got him to run down the stairs hungover,” Matt said raising his eyebrows, “I’m impressed Mathers. I’ll pay you double just because you got him to exercise hungover.”

Everyone’s eyes widened while I smiled widely and took Matt’s money as he handed it over. The rest of the guys handed over the same amount because they were all shocked I was able to get Brian into the lobby hungover and semi functioning.

“Never underestimate me Sanders,” I grinned and Brian gave me a high five.

“I’m expecting a fiver star meal,” Brian stated and I just laughed and rolled my eyes while the guys just laughed.

We then were escorted to the venue, I immediately left the guys who were headed onto the tour bus once we arrived and I smiled to see that the stage was pretty much set up.

“You’re not allowed in here,” I heard Lyn’s voice and I just laughed.

“I did let Uncle Joe think he won this morning,” I said, “You guys did an awesome job as always.”

“You figured out we put Matt on babysitting duty this morning,” Lyn laughed as went to stand in front of the stage from the front row of where people would be standing.

“It wasn’t that hard,” I laughed, “You think I can help you tear down?”

“You’re that anxious,” Lyn stated and I sighed shrugging my shoulders.

“It’s so different you know,” I said, “I’m not used to being in the spotlight. I’m used to being in the background making sure the show is successful. I’m nervous I’m going to fuck it up somehow.”

Lyn gave me a small smile and shook her head.

“I highly doubt that you are going to fuck up Evie,” she said, “I’ve known you for over ten years. You’re one of the best tour managers I’ve ever worked for and I know for a fact that you worked just as hard for this just as you do being a manager. Things are going to be fucking amazing, one because you are a fucking amazing drummer and two because I’m the best drum tech ever and always have your back.”

I laughed lightly and gave Lyn a hug as we looked at the stage.

“Thanks Lyn,” I said as the guys were coming on stage.

“Hey Evie get your ass up here so we can sound check,” Matt said in the mic, “We have a job to do.”

I just laughed and rolled my eyes and flipped him off as the guys were all giving me a hard time for standing in front of the stage instead of on it because apparently that was the wrong way to experience performing. I managed to get on stage as one of the guys backstage handed me my drumsticks.

“Okay assholes let’s get this shit over with,” I said sitting behind the drum kit and letting my drumming instincts kick in.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for being MIA for so long between writer's block and lots of good life changes for me, I've dropped the ball. Thanks for those who have been patience with me. Let me know what you all think!