Status: Rewriting currently. Will update with some new content soon!

The New Drummer

Chapter Three

The next day I woke up around eleven to hear my phone ringing off the hook and I groaned. This was the second day in a row I was being woken up before noon. After last night with my brothers, I had a hangover from hell since I hadn’t heard from Avenged that night. I just assumed I didn’t get the part and I was a bit bummed. I thought I did a pretty good phone as I let the phone ring and go to voicemail. However, the person on the other end continued calling me. After the third time of it ringing right away, I decided to answer it. I looked at the caller ID this time to see it was a Huntington Beach number I didn’t recognize and sighed hoping it was a wrong number so I could go back to sleep.

“Hello,” I said lying back on my back wincing from the flopping back on my bed.

“Finally!” I heard a voice exclaim, “Guys I got her to answer! This is Evelyn Mathers right?”

“Who is this again?” I asked not answering the question that was asked and thinking he might have introduced himself earlier and I wasn’t paying attention.

“Matt,” he stated like it was the obvious thing in the world.

“Matt who?” I asked and then I heard another voice in the background.

“You dipshit she doesn’t have your number,” I heard Meghan’s voice exclaim and I smiled and winced.

“Oh shit,” Matt said, “I’m sorry Evie it’s Matt Sanders.”

“Oh okay,” I said, “Do you mind not yelling I have a headache from hell.”

“Are you hungover?” Matt asked right away and again because it felt like he was yelling I winced again.

“Possibly,” I said walking to my bathroom to grab some aspirin. What can I help you with?”

“I knew we should’ve called you last night did your brothers get you smashed?” Matt asked and again I rolled my eyes.

“Yeah we had a bit too much to drink while playing Cards Against Humanity,” I said, “Do you guys need a tour manager or something?”

“No,” I heard Matt chuckling and then a few more voices which I assumed I was on speaker phone now, “We all wanted to congratulate you on being our newest drummer.”

“Oh well I can get you in touch with some. . .” I started and then realized what he just said, “What did you just say?”

“You’re our new drummer Evie,” I heard Zack’s voice.

“Congrats Bitch!” I heard Meghan’s voice and I chuckled.

“Will you quit with the yelling Meghan I’m hungover not deaf,” I replied and I heard everyone’s laughter.

“Well what do you say to being our drummer?” I heard another voice ask.

“I would be honored to be your guys’ new drummer,” I said, “What are the next steps then?”

“A woman after my own heart,” I heard Matt’s voice and even on the phone I could hear the smile in it, “Getting down to business right away. Well we’ll talk about that on Monday but we were wondering if your family and you would be interested in joining us for an Avenged barbecue. We want to celebrate and introduce you to our families as well.”

“Yeah,” I said smiling, “I think that would be awesome. What time do you want us there?”

“Come over whenever you want. We’re pretty much all over here to day drink before our parents get here so if you want your brothers, their wives, and kids to come over now that’s fine. If not we’re eating around one this afternoon,” Matt said and I nodded my head even though no one could see me.

“Alright cool,” I said, “As hungover as I am I’m still down to hangout and drink. I’ll call them and let them know. Send me the address and I’ll let you know when we’re headed over.”

We said our goodbyes and hung up and I had to take five minutes to myself to make sure I was awake. I had done it without really trying, I had become a drummer for a well-known band that I would have normally been a tour manager for. When I came down from my shock a bit I called the first person I always called when I had good news.

“Hey sweetheart,” my dad’s voice filled my ears and I smiled widely and the tears somehow started.

“I did it Daddy,” I said wiping them as I told him, “I made it. The guys from Avenged just called me five minutes ago. I’m their new drummer.”

“Oh my god sweetheart I’m so proud of you! Your mother would be proud too,” he said, “Congratulations!”

“Thanks Dad,” I said, “They invited all of us to a barbecue around one. If you would like to go. I’m headed over there earlier after I call Brad and Jeremy to let them know do you want me to come get you?”

“That’s okay sweetheart just send me the address and I’ll meet you there,” he said, “I’m really proud of you sweetheart.”

“Thanks again Dad,” I said, “I’m just really excited about this.”

“I know sweetie now call your brothers and go get ready,” my dad said and we said our goodbyes to each other.

The conversations with my brothers included the words fuck, proud, and congratulations a lot. I don’t know how I managed to let them know about the barbecue at all. After the conversations I took a minute to myself and laughed lightly. After that I decided to roll out of bed and head into my bathroom to get ready. The shock that I was the new drummer for Avenged Sevenfold was slowly starting to hit me and I was shocked out of all the people they auditioned, they picked me. I was standing under the water and I was smiling widely. These people were the ones who would understand that I would put in the same amount of blood, sweat, and tears as them into putting together a new album. I tried not to think too much about a swimsuit and outfit as I got ready but when I looked into the mirror I could tell I tried to look presentable. I decided to let my hair dry naturally and grabbed some other clothes in case and made my way down to the kitchen and grabbed the six pack of beer and wine I somehow managed to not drink last night and went to go pick up my siblings. After I got them I headed to the address that I had been sent while I was in the shower. I pulled into the drive of a very nice house, when the front was ripped open and I saw Meghan and three other women come rushing out of the house.

“You must be Evie!” a blonde said excitedly pulling me into a hug, “I’m Val. I’m Matt’s wife.”

“I’m Lacey,” a brunette said sticking her hand out, “I’m Johnny’s wife.”

“I’m Michelle,” a girl who looked exactly like Val said hugging me, “I’m Brian’s ex-wife.”

“I’m so glad that’s it you,” Meghan said bringing me into the biggest hug, “When Zacky told me I almost attacked him in kisses.”

I laughed at Meghan’s response, but since I’ve known her for years it was a typical Meghan response. Before I was labeled rude, I turned to Val, Lacey, and Michelle and said something to them.

“It’s nice to meet you all,” I said taken aback at how welcoming these women were, “I’m Evie and these are my sister-in-laws Sarah and Kaylie, and then my brothers Brad and Jeremy.”

“Come on,” Meghan said grinning, “We have to start day drinking before the parents get here!”

All the girls then decided to pull me, Brad, Jeremy, Sarah, and Kaylie into the house and then I remembered the six pack and wine bottle in my hands.

“Sorry this was all I had in the house,” I said handing it all to Val since Matt said they were at his house for the barbecue, “I was shocked that I had beer and wine that hadn’t been touched yet.”

“How sweet,” Val said taking it from my hands, “You’re my favorite band member. You’re the only one who brings alcohol.”

“Hey how is the newbie your favorite?” Johnny pouted, “I thought I was your favorite. You literally met her five minutes ago.”

“You’ve never brought alcohol to share especially my favorite wine,” Val stated and I smiled at how comfortable everyone was with each other and I hadn’t been in the house less than a minute, “When you do that I’ll consider you being my favorite again.”

I smiled lightly as Johnny pretended to be fake hurt and I tried to keep myself from laughing.

“There’s our kickass drummer,” I heard Matt’s voice and I spun around to see Matt, Zack, and Brian sitting at the table.

“Hey guys,” I said waving at them.

“What no hugs for us?” Matt asked and I looked at the guys hesitantly while they laughed at me, “Get over here. You are family now.”

I just laughed as he gave me a hug and then I was passed to Zack, Brian, and then Johnny. I didn’t know what to expect at this thing so I just let things flow and before I knew it was in the girl circle with Sarah, Kaylie, Michelle, Val, Meghan, and Lacey. We were all laughing and getting to know each other when we heard crying coming from a monitor and we all stopped talking. I had forgotten that Matt and Zack both had sons.

“Momma!” I heard a little boy exclaim as he was running towards Val and I smiled.

I absolutely adored kids and I was excited that there were three little deathbats running around in the group already. With so much that has happened with this band, good things needed to happen and I’m glad they did. I was taken out of my thoughts, when I saw the flash of brown hair standing in front of me with a mini version of him. They both looked exactly like Matt so I knew who they belonged to.

“Who are you?” he asked as his and his brother stood there confused and I smiled lightly.

I got on the ground so he was towering over me and decided to introduce myself. However, before I respond to the little boy, I saw my godson and Meghan’s son, Owen squeal with delight as he saw me.

“E!” he exclaimed and rushed over to me and threw himself against me.

“Wait you know Owen?” the boy asked in awe.

“I do,” I said, “My name is Evie Mathers.”

“How do you know Owen?” the boy asked rudely and I saw Val’s mouth drop.

“I’m Owen’s godmom,” I said sassily, “Who are you and how do you know Owen?”

The boys looked taken aback as I had Owen in my arms and the girls were grinning and the guys were watching intently.

“I am River Sanders!” the little boy stated proudly and I could see the guys watching our interaction and the girls smiling at me.

“I is Cash,” the other one said, “And we is friends with Owen. Our daddies work together.”

“Well it’s nice to meet you River and Cash Sanders,” I said, “Do you want to know a secret?”

River’s and Cash’s face lit up and they nodded their heads excitedly. I smiled lightly and I had all three boys lean in really close.

“I’m going to work with your daddies too,” I said and their eyes got wide.

“Daddy you’re working with a girl!?” River exclaimed as Cash and River ran over to Matt and we all laughed as Owen squirmed out of my arms to rush over to Zack.

“I think you’re going to be a new Auntie,” Sarah said, “I think you passed the test.”

“I would have to agree,” Val said, “I don’t think they’ve ever warmed up to someone so fast.”

“Auntie Evie come play with us,” I heard River’s voice and I looked over at the group.

“Way quicker than we thought,” Meghan laughed as I was pulled over to where River, Cash, and Owen were all playing.

I was shocked that in a matter of a couple of hours, I was already considered part of the Avenged family and the tough critics already approved. If this was what was in store for me for the rest of the night I think I could handle it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here's another update everyone! Hope you all enjoy it!

Thanks AJ9 for the comment! I really appreciate it!