Status: Rewriting currently. Will update with some new content soon!

The New Drummer

Chapter Five

One month later


It’s been about a month since I had since joined Avenged Sevenfold as their new drummer and things have been a bit different being on the band side rather than the tour managing side of things. Over the last month I had to find someone to replace me on tours that I had agreed to prior to signing a contract, keep up with day to day activities in the office when I wouldn’t have been on tour, and someone to keep my father in the loop of what was happening in the company since he’s taken a bit of a step back from being so active in the company. Literally after I signed my contract with the label after a couple of weeks of my sister-in-law and lawyer, Sarah, looking over it making sure I wasn’t being taken advantage of, I started learning the new songs and with the help of Zack, I wrote a song for the album. I don’t know how in between all of the chaos I found time to hang out with the guys and my family and found time for just me. Today however was another chaotic day. Not only was the album coming out today, we were also announcing two things: one the world tour that was going to happen in three months, two me as Avenged Sevenfold’s new drummer. I don’t know how the guys had kept it so low key for so long but for the past month, the guys were giving small clues to fans about who the drummer was but so far no one has guessed that it was a girl. I also forgot to mention that on top of all of the new things I was learning, I was also helping plan a world tour with stage designs and ideas to keep people entertained.

I had been up since five am this morning because I couldn’t sleep with knowing what today’s interview would bring. I was literally a ball of nerves and looking at the wardrobe that the label had brought in for me was starting to overwhelm me when it shouldn’t have been that hard. All that was running through my mind was that in a matter of two hours my life was officially going to change. I was going to go from the girl behind the scenes to basically center stage and I had no clue how I would handle it. I was taking deep breaths when there was a knock at my door.

“You doing okay?” I heard Zack’s voice and I looked at the door and he immediately shut the door stepping into the room.

“The panic on my face is that apparent is it?” I asked trying to make light of the massive panic attack I was having.

“Just a bit,” he said, “You want some help to calm you down?”

Over the last month Zack and I have become closer than what we were before. Yes, Zack married my best friend but we were never really close other than the fact that we could comfortably get along and that’s all Meghan needed since he literally toured a lot and it would just be me and Meghan hanging out. However, over the last month, Zack has been a godsend. He’s helped coach me through some difficult situations and even helped me write one of the bonus tracks on the album.

“I don’t think there’s anything that could calm me down other than alcohol and my anxiety pills and I’m pretty sure Larry would kill me if I was drunk and possibly crossfaded on my first interview,” I said as I pulled something from the rack and decided it would be the best thing I could come up with since I was so nervous and really couldn’t focus, I was seriously kicking myself for not bringing Meghan with us this time.

“I think I would be the wrong person to ask for that kind of help,” Zack chuckled, “That’s more of a Brian thing.”

I just rolled my eyes at the mention of Brian’s name. Over the last month things were weird between me and Brian. I knew he wasn’t a huge fan of me joining the band because I could tell from the audition. However, over the last month, I could tell that I was not welcomed by him at all. Every little mistake that I would make or something I didn’t understand was blown out of proportion and I was constantly told I was unprofessional. What Brian didn’t know what that after the twelve hours of practice with the band, I would go home and practice by myself or in front of my family to make sure it sounded good and I was on time. During his rants, I was never rude to Brian because of how I was brought up and how I held myself professionally however, I was slowly about to crack because I couldn’t take it anymore.

“You still haven’t come to an agreement?” Zack asked raising his eyebrows at me as I changed behind the racks of clothing.

“More like Brian won’t talk about it,” I said coming out from behind the racks, “I’ve tried a million and one ways to get in contact with him and ask him why he does not like me but he just ignores me. I’m just hoping that we can be civil for band things and then stay clear of each other the rest of the time while we’re on tour. What do you think? Too much?”

“I think it looks fine,” Zack said, “And Brian’s never been like this before Evie. You have to believe me on this one. I don’t know what’s gotten into him.”

“It’s fine Zack,” I said shrugging my shoulders hopping he would believe me.

Zack gave me a look like he wasn’t buying and he shouldn’t have. Even if on the road I was named the Ice Manager, and nothing got to me. Most of the time on tour people wondered if I even had a soul because my tours that I managed were ran with an iron fist to a point. However, this constant belittling of my skills and comparing me to Jimmy was starting to crack the tough layer of skin I had created over the years of being in the music industry. I was taken out of my trance when there was a knock at the door, and I saw three heads poke in.

“Mind if we come in?” I heard Matt’s voice.

“Come on in,” I said, “I’m all changed so have at with the wardrobe.”

“Cool,” Johnny said hugging me, “You’re going to be fine. We’re not going to let you drown out there. Breathe.”

I gave Johnny a grateful look as we separated and he went over to the rack of clothes labeled men’s and started looking around. I took a seat on the couch watching the rock talk show and trying to calm my nerves. I don’t know how long I was sitting there when I looked over to see Matt looking at me concerned.

“Nerves,” I replied running my hands over my face, “I’m. . .”

“Afraid that your life is going to change in a few hours?” Matt asked and I nodded my head.

“Pretty much,” I said, “I’m not getting cold feet. I don’t want any of you guys to think that. It’s just. . .”

“You’re a private person and have been working behind the scenes for so long that you’re afraid your life won’t be private anymore,” Matt finished again.

I gave him a sheepish look and Matt just gave me a knowing smile.

“Evie,” he said, “We’ve all had that feeling you’re going through. When we heard our first single on the radio, we pretty much shit our pants knowing people were going to do anything in their powers to find out who we were. Yes, sometimes your privacy is going to be invaded but after years of being in the spotlight we live pretty normal lives still. Our fans respect our privacy. You will have nothing to worry about.”

I gave Matt a small smile and gave him a hug.

“You guys are like my brothers,” I said looking at Zack, Johnny, and Brian who were now sitting around the chairs and couches in our dressing room, “Thanks for everything. I really do mean it.”

“We know Evie,” Zack said smiling lightly at me.

“We were all there at one point,” Johnny said and I just nodded my head.

I was about to say something else when one of the television people said we needed to do a quick sound check before they let the audience in and that was our cue to start working. We walked out of the dressing room and I took my seat behind the drum set I got to pick out myself. It was going to be my touring kit and I was very proud of it. Most of it consisted of Jimmy’s drums because we had similar taste in drums but I was proud that I was about to construct it and make it mine. Today we were playing the single that they had released before they found me and I was a bit nervous. Matt looked at me a nodded his head when everyone was ready and I counted off. As soon as I heard music, all my nerves and worries went away. It was as if they faded to the background and all I could focus on was the music. By the time the song ended, everyone in the television studio was watching us and I could see them smiling and whispering to each other while they pointed over at me.

“Well your drummer is pretty kickass,” I heard a male’s voice and looked over to see, a balding man that had a beer belly to match is middle aged look.

I recognized him immediately as Kenneth Wagner, one of the most influential writers in the rock industry and I was silently cursing myself in my head. I had dealt with Kenneth’s manager for many years with bands who interviewed on his show while they were touring and if his manager was a pain in the ass I knew for a fact this man was no better. I watched as Matt and the other guys tensed a bit as Kenneth walked on set and made the mental note in my head.

“Kenneth,” Matt said shaking his hand curtly.

“Shadows,” he said using his stage name.

He then looked at me and gave me what I considered a predatory smile and I tried my hardest not to shudder.

“And what’s your name gorgeous?” he asked as I walked from around the drum kit.

“Evelyn Mathers but call me Evie,” I said sticking my hand out but he Kenneth brought me in for a hug instead that was very awkward.

When he let go of me he gave me that predatory smile again and I could already tell he was either going to try and make a rude comment to get me riled up or try and hit on me. It was fifty-fifty chance and I was hoping for the latter of the two.

“I’m so glad that Avenged is trying to be inclusive and have a female join their band,” he said as I waited for more of the insult, “I bet someone got you that audition, Eleanor.”

“Not at all actually,” I said be honest and decided to give Kenneth a taste of his own medicine about getting my name wrong, “I got the audition myself but I don’t want to ruin the story. I look forward to telling it on the air. It was nice meeting you Keith.”

“It’s Kenneth,” he said while I watched the guys laughed.

“And my name is Evie,” I said not missing a beat and being thankful that I had been in this industry for years, “You might want to try and get it correctly on the air because I will correct you.”

I then started walking away and then turned around.

“Oh I forgot to say thanks for having us on your show,” I said, “We’re grateful you agreed to it.”

I then walked over to the guys who were trying not to laugh while I left Kenneth Wagner shocked that someone actually gave him attitude. When I got closer, I was expecting to hear something from Brian about not being professional but he just gave me a small smile while Matt, Zack, and Johnny patted my back.

“Did he hit on you while hugging you or something?” Matt asked and I just rolled my eyes.

“Not at all but he definitely thought I would sleep with him just for who is was,” I said as we walked back to our dressing room, “I wouldn’t touch that guy with a ten-foot pole. His manager is a huge asshole which means he’s a bigger one. I don’t do asshole or men the same age as my father.”

Everyone then laughed and I just shrugged my shoulders. Dealing with assholes was part of my old job and it probably wasn’t going to get easier since I was going to be a female drummer in primarily male band. The show started on the television and I was trying to breathe. The guys were outside of the dressing room doing something when someone sat next to me.

“Take a deep breath,” I heard Brian’s voice and I immediately looked over at him.

“What?” I asked shocked that I Brian was actually sitting with me and being nice.

“Take a deep breath,” he said, “You’re going do fine. You already told the Kenneth Wagner off, you’ll be able to handle yourself when he asks you questions. If you want one of us can walk out with you when we introduce you. You just have to let us know.”

I just sat there confused because this was the Brian I hadn’t seen at all and I must have had that look on my face and he sighed rubbing his hands over his face.

“I know I’ve been a dick the last month but I will explain things eventually just know that I think you’re a great drummer. Now do you want me to walk out with you?” he asked and before I knew what I was doing I was nodding my head yes.

Brian then gave me a small smile and nodded his head.

“I’ll let the guys know,” he said standing up, “Evie.”

“Yeah,” I got out.

“Don’t let anyone push you down,” he said, “Matt saw something in you that reminded him of Jimmy and Jimmy was a strong person like you are. Don’t lose that with this career. It’s nice to see something genuine after being in music for so long.”

Before I could say anything else, Brian slipped through the door and I let out a breath I didn’t know I was holding. Brian was actually nice to me and I didn’t know how I felt about that.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello everyone! Here's an update! Hope you all like it. Let me know what you all think!