Status: Rewriting currently. Will update with some new content soon!

The New Drummer

Chapter Eight

Three Months Later


Today was the first day of tour and I was nervous wreck for an entire different reason. The last three months had gone by in a blur. Between the interviews to promote both the album and tour, practicing all the songs on the album, creating the set lists, talking to the engineers about what we wanted the stage to look like on tour, and getting things finalized for the job I was not allowed to do, I felt like time never really slowed down. I was making sure that I had enough clothes and everything ready for tour when I heard my front door open.

“Hey Evie are you ready to go?” I heard Brian’s voice and I smiled lightly.

Over the last three months mine and Brian’s relationship had also gotten better. After that day we spent baking and stress eating turned into a beautiful friendship and possibly a crush that I was currently denying to myself.

“Bedroom!” I exclaimed as I was lying on my suitcase trying to zip it up.

I was muttering to myself when I heard Brian’s chuckle and I looked up at him and saw him smirking at me with his arms crossed over his chest.

“Enjoying the view?” I asked and Brian just busted out laughing with a small amount of blush showing on his cheeks.

“You do have a nice ass,” he said, “The guys and I comment on it all the time.”

“Fuck you guys,” I laughing and feeling my cheeks heat up, “Come help me zip this up.”

Brian just laughed and together we zipped up the bag. He grabbed the bag and brought it to his car since Brian offered to take me to Matt’s house where the bus was picking us up. I already knew that my entire family was going to meet us there because I already received a text from Brad saying that they were waiting for me. I double checked to make sure everything was locked and thrown away when Brian came back into the house.

“Hey Bri you want any coffee before we leave?” I asked grabbing my favorite to go coffee mug that I had bought for a buck at Starbucks.

“How cheap is that?” Brian asked in shock that I was putting coffee in that.

“I got it for a buck at Starbucks,” I said, “I have like four. Want me to make you some?”

“I’ll pass,” Brian said making a face and I just rolled my eyes, “Do we get to hear tour stories when we’re on the road?”

“Probably,” I said being honest, “Since we’ve been so busy with the creating the tour tour, I’m pretty sure you’ll hear all the stories when I’m not sober.”

“So you’re going to let us get you nice and drunk?” he asked excitedly and I laughed.

“Maybe once or twice but that’s probably about it,” I laughed as we drove the fifteen minutes to Matt’s.

On the drive we just small talked about what our nights consisted of since I hadn’t seen the guys for the last couple of days because I was packing. While Brian was going on about how he was making sure that he didn’t leave any food in his fridge this time around, I started looking out the window and tried to remember what Huntington Beach looked like now because I knew when I got back from tour things were going to be different like they always were when I left for tour. We weren’t going to get a real break until Christmas and I was trying to prevent myself from getting homesick. It always happened when I was tour and sadly this time, I didn’t get the chance to use vacation time to come home for a week or so. I was staring at the beach memorizing the way the waves were pushing and pulling against the sand when I heard Brian say my name.

“Huh? What?” I asked turning to look at him and Brian gave me a knowing smile.

“Trying to remember what home’s going to be like before leaving?” he asked as I gave him a sheepish smile, “I remember I did the same thing our first serious tour. The night before I spent the night on the beach so I wouldn’t forget my favorite place in Huntington.”

“Shockingly I did the same thing. I usually do the night before leaving for a tour,” I said smiling lightly and then looking back out the window, “I don’t know why but the beach is one of the places in Huntington that I feel at peace at. The other place is obviously behind a drum kit but the beach is my go to place to clear my head.”

“I think I get it,” Brian said, “It’s like when you’re sitting on the sand just watching the waves come in it makes you feel like if you just let it happen life will end up being that easy.”

“Exactly!” I exclaimed looking at Brian excited that someone actually understood where I was coming from after all these years of explaining it to my brothers and other friends.

“Well I wouldn’t mind spending time with just you on a beach any day,” Brian said, “And I hope we get to do it soon.”

“Me too,” I said smiling lightly at Brian feeling my cheeks heat up for a second time, “Me too.”

Brian just chuckled and then I realized we were in front of Matt’s house. I looked outside to see my family waiting for us and Matt and who I was assuming was the bus driver for our bus putting luggage away. I assumed Brian could see where I was staring and tried to make me feel better.

“This feels different for you doesn’t it?” he asked and I nodded my head and looked at him.

“Yeah I normally get some vacation time before the first break of tour,” I said, “This time I’m going to be away on tour for way longer. It’s freaking me out a little bit.”

“You know if you anyone to talk to come find me,” he said taking my hand in his and just like when we had our first interview, I felt the electric shock of being in contact with Brian, “I mean it. I’ve told you things I would have never dreamed of telling the guys.”

“Thanks Brian,” I said smiling lightly at him, “I really appreciate it.”

Brian gave me a warm smile and before anything else could be said, I could see Brad and Jeremy making their way over to the car. I got out Brian’s car as he told me he would take my bags to the bus and to take my time with saying goodbye since we didn’t really need to leave for another thirty minutes. I nodded my head and met my family over by the driveway. The minute I got close enough I was pulled into a hug by Brad.

“Stay out of trouble alright,” Brad said, “I already gave the riot act to Matt about keeping you safe.”

“Seriously Evie I don’t want to come out and have to kick some ass because you got into trouble,” Jeremy added as I rolled my eyes and hugged my brothers tightly.

“I think you should be worried about me having to bail the guys out of trouble,” I said laughing lightly, “But I’ll be on my best behavior promise.”

Brad and Jeremy then laughed and hugged me even tighter than before.

“Kick ass for us,” they said and I smiled at them.

“Facetime every chance we get?” I asked and they rolled their eyes.

“Is that seriously a question?” Brad asked.

“Every chance we get Evie,” Jeremy said as my brothers hugged me one last time.

“We love you Evie,” they said together.

“Love you boneheads too,” I said trying not to cry.

I was then passed onto my sister-in-laws and niece and nephew.

“Make sure my brothers don’t go crazy waiting for me to get home,” I said, “You know how ancy they get some times.”

“Oh we know,” Kaylie said smiling at me, “Make sure you buy us something cute while you’re away?”

“Always,” I said laughing, “I have to make sure we have something that distinguishes us as in-laws.”

“We prefer obnoxious t-shirts to embarrass Brad and Jeremy,” Sarah said hugging me.

“Duh,” I said, “It’s what we do best. Plus by the time I get home these two should be walking and talking.”

The girls and I then hugged again and said our goodbyes and I covered my niece and nephew in kisses. That then left my father and me to say goodbye for a few months.

“And then there was one,” my father said smiling at me.

“I love you Daddy,” I said hugging him tightly, “I’m going to miss you the most. Don’t tell Brad or Jeremy that. This is definitely a different feeling. If you need help. . .”

“Evie everything will be taken care of and your secret is safe with me sweetheart,” he said smiling light at me, “Don’t let your brothers know but I always miss you more than them when you’re on tour.”

I just smiled lightly and hugged him tightly.

“Are you sure you don’t want to bunk with us?” I asked making reference to about a month ago when I asked if Dad wanted to be our tour manager.

My dad just laughed at the question and shook his head yes.

“As much as I would love to I know this is something you have to experience on your own not with a mentor or with family,” he said giving me a loving smile, “Maybe once you get the being in a band thing down I’ll consider being the tour manager next time.”

I just smiled lightly and kissed his cheek.

“I’ll call you when we get to the venue,” I said.

“Good,” he said and then I heard someone yelling my name.

I turned around to see Matt yelling at me to get on the bus so we could leave.

“Well I guess that’s my cue,” I said and my dad kissed my forehead.

“Have fun and kick ass,” he said, “I’ll be keeping up to date through your brothers and phone calls.”

“Love you Dad,” I said.

“Love you sweetheart,” he said and I made my way to the bus.

I got on the steps and turned around when I reached the top. I waved one last time and then turned to see my family for the next few months smiling at me.

“Tour’s going to be a blast Evie,” Zack said, “You’re going to enjoy yourself being on the other side of things. You just have to wait and see.”

I didn’t know how true Zack’s words were going to be but today I was going to take them at face value and enjoy what was going to happen.
♠ ♠ ♠
Merry Christmas everyone, or whatever you all celebrate! Have a great day and I hope you enjoy whatever traditions you have! Let me know what you all think!