Status: Currently being written.

Branded and Banished

Book 1: Water * The Ship

The village went into a panic as the boom echoed into the sky. Aang returned with Katara by his side. “You did this didn’t you?” said a villager. Everyone was yelling at Aang and then at me. “How could you let him out of your sight?” one asked.

“Aang get your belongings, I’ll bring Appa, we are leaving.” I ordered him. He hung his head in disappointment and headed into the hut. I started putting our items on Appa’s saddle. When I went outside I saw it, black ash falling from the sky.

Aang was peaking out of the hut and I rushed him back inside. “Stay here.” I ordered. He looked a little scared, but complied.

I walked out and I saw a giant ship docked at the harbor. “Send me all of your elderly. I know the Avatar is here.” yelled out a teenager. I stood in the back behind a hut and I watched, hoping I could sneak Aang out.

Despite the village hating us, they were silent about our arrival. “If no one is going to talk, then I am going to burn this village to the ground.” yelled the guy again. “Prince Zuko, let’s not be too rash.” said an older man.

I came out of hiding and approached the two fire nation men. “Wait, don’t hurt these people.” I pleaded. “I’m who you’re looking for. I’m the Avatar.”

“You're too young to be the Avatar.” noted the guy. “I've been frozen for a while. I'm sorry to not look as wrinkled as you hoped.” I retorted. “She does bare the mark of an airbender Prince Zuko.” said the older man.

“Guards take her to the ship.” said the guy. “We’re leaving.” I was handcuffed and escorted by some guards with face masks. They led me onto their ship; the moment I set foot the air seemed to change, it was more chiller. “Where would you like us to put her Prince Zuko?” asked one of the guards. “I’ll take her from here.” he responded. He grabbed me by the arm and pulled me towards him, “We have a special room for you.” he told me.

The older gentleman who persuaded him not to attack the village came along as well. “If I am going to be your prisoner for a while I do ask that I have special bedding placed for me, I have back problems.” I told him.

“We will do our best to accommodate you.” said the older man. “Thank you, I’m Sui-Mei by the way.” “Iroh.” he responded, “This brooding young man is my nephew Prince Zuko.” “Pleasure to meet your acquaintance.” I said to the both of them.

“So how does a young lady such as yourself have back problems? Was is because of a childhood injury?” Iroh asked. I shook my head. “I was arranged to be married off to a fire nation noble to try and stall for peace, needless to say he had a temper he would like to take out on me. My back has old burn wounds and scars on top of other scars.”

“I’m terribly sorry for your former predicament,” Iroh said trying to comfort me. “We’re here.” Zuko told us, stopping in the hallway. He opened a door that stood to the left of him. “These will your quarters, you’ll be confined to this part of the ship until we reached our destination.” Zuko said.

“Can I get some hot tea? I like Jasmine.” I asked. “I’ll go make you a pot.” said Iroh. I bowed, “Thank you.” Zuko shut the door and I sat on the small cot in the corner. There was a small window that overlooked the ship’s deck.

Time seem to stay still while I was locked in my room, so I preoccupied my time with airbending. After a while the door opened, “Tea time!” said Iroh, he had a pot, as well as Zuko's company. He placed the pot on the small desk that was under the window.

He poured me a cup as well as one for himself and Zuko. I took a sip, “How do you like your tea?” Iroh asked me, “It’s wonderful Iroh ,although my cup has seemed to cool down more that I prefer.” I said. Before they did anything I blew into my cup and a cloud of steam came up.

“I see airbending isn’t actually your element of choice.” said Iroh. “You favor firebending more.” I nodded, “My mother was a nomad, father was a fire nation general. They had a union to which I came out of. Since my mother’s faction didn’t believe in the ideals of marriage, she left him and me. I was blessed with airbending, but my father taught me firebending techniques before I left for the temples to learn my craft. When it came time to learn the elements, fire was just...easy I guess.” I said.

“How interesting.” said Iroh. I took another sip from my tea. I started to feel uncomfortable, the robes were rubbing against my back in a weird way. “I’m sorry, but would you be okay if I took my robes off?” I asked. “Go ahead.” said Iroh.

I disrobed into my wrappings and put my hair up into a bun. I sat on top of my cot and pressed my back against the cold steel of the ship. “That feels better.” I said.

“Can I see it?” asked Zuko. I turned my back to him. “It’s still fresh,” he said. “You would think 100 years in ice would make it heal.” I joked. “Uncle, can you get the burn cream?” Zuko asked. “Of course.” Iroh said, practically out of the door.

He left the two of us alone in the room. “Do you mind if I uh.” he said, gesturing to my wraps. “No go ahead.” I said to him. He started to unravel my bandages while I held onto my chest padding. “So how did you get yours?” I asked him. “My father.” he told me. He walked to the sink next to the cot and pulled out a cloth from his pocket. He ran some cold water and pressed it against my back.

“How does that feel?” he asked. “It’s good.” I told him. “So, you’re name is Sui-Mei, right?” “Yeah.” I replied back. “That’s a pretty name.” He told me, “Indeed it is.” Iroh said coming into the room.

Zuko removed the cloth from my back and started to apply burn cream on my back. It felt colder than the cloth and I sat up. “I had the same reaction.” Zuko told me. I let out a light chuckle. He started wrapping me back up. “There you’re all done.” he said.

“Thank you.” I said, while putting my robes back on. There was a commotion going on outside in the hull. I looked out the window and I saw Aang on the deck. “Who is that?” asked Zuko. “That would be my younger brother, the real Avatar.” I admitted.

Aang saw me looking through the window and he seemed to disappear. The door to my room blasted open, “Get away from my sister!” he yelled and used his staff to blast wind towards them. They both toppled over and I ran out with Aang.

We made it to the front of the ship where Appa was waiting for us with Katara and Sokka. “Thanks for the rescue, but I had everything under control.” I told him. “You were going to give yourself up as the Avatar.” he pointed out, “That’s not a very good plan.”

“Protecting you is the priority Aang,” I replied to him.

Aang and I jumped onto Appa and started to fly away. “Where are we going exactly?” I asked them. “The northern water tribe, there are waterbenders there that can teach Aang to waterbend.” explained Sokka. “Everyone down!” yelled Aang as he airbended a fire blast away from us.

“Aang, go settle this.” I told him. He nodded and jumped into the water, raising a water column to take out the ship.

I took control of Appa and flew down low to get Aang, “They might attack the village, we have to get them out.” I told Aang as he jumped into the saddle. “Then go do what you need to do.” he told me.

I stood up on Appa and with great force, I created a wave that pushed the fire nation soldiers and their ship out of the harbor and I pushed two glaciers together to keep them from getting back in.

I sat back down on Appa and we made our way out.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sneak peak of chapter 3

“Aang, it has been a very long time, they might not still be there.” I explained, “A lot can change in 100 years.” “I still want to go see the temple.” Aang begged. I sighed, “Alright we can go, but we do need to talk.” “Yeah yeah, as soon as we get to the temple.” he said brushing me off.

I sank into Appa’s saddle. “You know don’t you?” asked Katara, “What happened to your people.” I nodded my head, “Let me be the one to explain.Aang, can be...fragile at times.”