Status: Currently under edit; so if things seem off thats why.

Winter Nights

~Things I never knew about myself~

*Flashback*

I was playing alone in the backyard on a cool summer day, enjoying the warm breeze and just being a kid. When suddenly the back door flew open and my father flew out of the door and angrily shouted for me, a beer in his hand looking angrier than ever.

“Where are you!!!? Get your ass in here now, your room isn’t clean!” I hid behind a bush to hide from him before he seen me and punished me like I was used to.

“I know you’re back here stupid child! If I count to 5 and you’re not over here I’m going to give you a beating you won’t forget!”

I gulped at the fear of feeling my father’s hand strike me again; I was still hurting from the last time it happened…

“ONE!” I heard him yell making his way down the back steps. I stayed hidden behind the bush and looked around for a possible escape away. As I was looking around my eyes got fixated on a boy around my age watching me. He moved his head to the side and I heard his voice whisper something in my mind without seeing his lips move.

“TWO!” My father’s yelling got louder as he started making his way closer to where I was hiding; I peeked around the corner and glared at him just wanting him to go away.

‘Kill him.’ I heard the voice whisper in my mind say, I glanced over and the boy was standing right by myside. He had deep brown eyes and jet black hair, he never had to say a word but I knew that he was talking to me.

I suddenly felt a strange amount of courage and snuck out of the bush and found myself standing square in front of my father, raging with an anger that a nine year old should never have.

I lifted my hand up and pointed a finger at my father; he suddenly stopped right in his tracks in front of me and looked frightened.

Out of nowhere he burst into flames; I felt powerful.

Then the boy disappeared.

“Nothing like that…ever happened again.” I shook at the memory realizing I had buried it deep down until now. “I thought my father had disappeared, but he actually…died?”

“Yes, your powers killed your father, and if you already haven’t figured it out yet…that boy you kept seeing; was Kaleb.”

The sudden realization of that day sank into my mind, and it all made sense how he had seemed so familiar.

“..But how?” I wanted to know more.

“I’m actually from the year 2561; I’ve been back and forth between here and there since I was a kid.” I heard Kaleb’s all too familiar voice from behind me and turned around to see him standing there.

“What?” I asked beginning to get confused.

“You should know not to mess with the balance of time travel.” The hooded man said shaking his head at him. “Where is the device that allows you to portal back and forth? I require that back.”

“I’m afraid I can’t give it back, I was told not to let you of all demons to touch it.” Kaleb said pulling a glowing orb out of his back pack and grabbing my hand running off and taking me with him.

***

It was the middle of the night but it felt like we had ran for hours, until we had seen the sun coming up over the horizon. I had stopped to catch my breath and it felt like the cold air was stinging into my lungs.

“Kaleb, what is going on?” I turned around and faced him demanding to know the truth. “Are you really from the year 2561?”

He nodded his head solemnly, and pulled out a journal from his bag that hung over his shoulder.

“This journal used to be my fathers, he was a traveller as well; he went back much farther than I did and kept a record of his adventures. In the future; -well in my year anyway- if you get caught time travelling the demon of justice captures you, they believe that travelling will mess with everything. But I’ve been coming back to your year since I was a kid; I need to fix what my father couldn’t.”

“What do you mean what your father couldn’t? What was he trying to do? What happened to him?” I had many questions; and I always thought time travelling was impossible but what stood before me had to be true. “And why my year, how where you there when I killed my father?”

“Slow down there with the questions, let’s discuss this over breakfast.” Kaleb laughed leading the way into a restaurant; I nodded at him in agreement. Running all night did make me hungry.

***
“So that’s how the ‘Demon of Justice’ got that photo of us at my locker; you were at my High School the entire time, but how do I not have any memory of you at all?” I asked after majority of my questions have been answered. All except one; he couldn’t tell me just yet as to what his father needed to but couldn’t.

“I erased your memory of me after High School was over, it was for your protection; I had told you then that I was a traveller and I realized then that it was a mistake that you knew.” He explained.

“But now I know…”

“Yes, and I need your help with something.”

“…and what would that be?”

“We need to renew your powers.” He said with a straight face.
♠ ♠ ♠
Edited 04-03-2017