Sequel: Fulfilling Fate

Arranging Fate

Dinner

Zion allowed me to eat in our bedroom as I healed. The minute I was well enough to walk on my own, though, he demanded I eat in the dining room or not at all.

So, I took residence in my study until around eight in the evening. Then I would go to our bedroom and ignore his angry glare. It worked until one fall evening. It was cold and I was writing some more. I had found a journal in the desk and wrote all my thoughts into it since I couldn’t talk to anyone else. Heather was a good listener but she and Kassandra were spending more time in seclusion now that I knew about their relationship.

Things were getting lonely and I started to consider going to the dining room just to be around people.

Someone knocked and I gave them permission to enter. Ilya walked in, wringing his hands.

“Can I help you?” I asked nicely and he bit his lip. I stood up. “Ilya, are you all right?”

“Please just come to the dining room, Madame,” he whispered.

I frowned. “Why do you care? I’m sure the food isn’t being wasted.”

He took a step closer, still avoiding my eyes.

“Just do as the master says,” he said. “It- Just come down.”

“I won’t,” I said stubbornly and made to walk to the door. “He can’t order me around.”

He stepped in front of me, though.

“Don’t make me do this,” he said and I stared at him.

“Do what?”

“Please forgive me,” he said and suddenly I was on his shoulder.

I shouted in surprise.

“Put me down!” I shouted indignantly as he carried me down the hall.

“I’m very sorry, Madame,” he said as I punched his back. “But the master ordered it.”

“Put me down this second! This is humiliating!”

He walked down the stairs and to the dining room. He put me down and I spun on the spot, glaring daggers at Zion. For the first time since I met him, he looked like a normal person. He was smiling and took a large bite of his food.

“So kind of you to join me,” he said and I looked around.

Heather and Kassandra were missing.

“Who do you think you are!?” I cried, stomping my foot. “Who said you could humiliate me like that!?”

“You did,” he said, “when you agreed to marry me. Now sit down and eat.”

“No,” I snapped. “I’m not your slave.”

I tried to leave but Ilya kept stepping in front of me. I glared at him. He did look sorry but I didn’t care. I tried to push past him but he caught me and I growled.

“I’m not eating with you,” I snarled at Zion.

“Sit down and eat,” he repeated, his smile gone.

“No. I’d rather starve!”

“Well I wouldn’t,” he snapped, all trace of humor gone. “Ilya,” he said when I still didn’t move.

“I’m sorry, Madame,” Ilya muttered and forced me into the chair across from Zion.

I glared at him but didn’t touch my fork. He put his down and lifted his eyebrows.

“We will be here all night, Aviel,” he said in a quiet voice. “I am not in a hurry.”

“You can’t just order me to do things,” I said stubbornly. I crossed my arms. “And you should be ashamed of yourself; having someone come and carry me like that.”

He leaned back, crossing his arms, too. “It was him or me. Which would you have preferred?”

“Neither of you!” I snapped and, thinking he was distracted, tried to leave.

No such luck. Ilya stopped me. I clenched my jaw and looked at the plate. I was surprised. It was all my favorite food: Steak, potatoes, and snap peas. My stomach growled. I hadn’t eaten a proper meal in many days. While he was in his office, I would sneak out and grab a bite or two from the kitchen when they weren’t looking. My hunger was starting to win out over my pride, though, and my mouth watered as the smell of the steak drifted to my nose.

“Eat,” Zion said.

“Where are Heather and Kassandra?” I demanded. “Why aren’t they forced to eat with you?” He didn’t answer, he just watched me. “Stop staring at me!”

“Not until you eat.”

I just glared at him. We stared at each other for a long time. Finally, I let out a shout of frustration and picked up the fork. I knew he was smirking at me but I didn’t look at him. I ate quickly, my stomach relishing the food.

When I was done, I stood up, the chair knocking into Ilya. I didn’t bother to apologize to him, though, not after what he did. With a final glare at Zion, I stormed up the stairs to our bedroom. Heather was waiting outside of hers.

“Sorry,” she began.

“I don’t want to hear it,” I snapped and slammed the door in her face.

I took a few deep breaths to calm down. I was furious and embarrassed. I changed into a nightgown and sat in the vanity to wash my face. As I was taking the makeup off, the door opened and Zion walked in. I didn’t even look at him.

I took the bandage off my arm and looked at the bite marks. Suddenly, he was behind me. He looked angry.

“And when were you going to tell me they were bleeding again?” he demanded but I didn’t answer. “Tell me right now.”

I glared at him through the mirror. “Just leave me alone,” I snapped. “It’s none of your business.”

“I’m your husband,” he said and we both stopped what we were doing.

It was the first time either of us had mentioned our marriage out loud. It sounded strange coming from him. He recovered first and reached around me to one of the drawers in the vanity. He opened it and got out a kit.

“This is going to sting,” he muttered. I tried to lean away but he held me still. “Stop fighting me, damn it!” he yelled when I kept trying to get out of his grasp.

Pressing my lips together angrily, I stopped. He cleaned around the wound and I cringed as the medicine burned. He put on some cream then rewrapped it. Before I could go to the bed, he grabbed my elbow. I didn’t look at him.

“Why do you keep fighting me?” he asked and I stared.

“Are you seriously asking me that question?” I asked and he glared. “Why the hell do you think I do?” I pushed at his hand but he wouldn’t let me go. “You’ve been nothing but cruel to me since our marriage. You mock me, have people come pick me up to carry me down to the dining room, chastise me for wanting to get out of this stifling house, and read my personal letters between me and my mother.”

“I haven’t been cruel,” he began but I scoffed.

“Were you not listening to me?” I snapped. “Yes, you have. Now let me go. I’m tired.”

“I only did those things because you needed them!” he shouted and I rolled my eyes.

“No one needs to be mocked! No one needs to be humiliated, to have their letters read, to-.”

“Don’t you get it!?” he interrupted, pushing me away from him and I stumbled. “If anyone gets hold of your letters, they could slip a curse into them!”

“A curse?” I repeated and his eyebrows came together.

“Heather said she’d tell you,” he said but I didn’t speak. “Look, I’m… sorry you feel like I’ve been cruel but-.”

“I don’t feel,” I snapped. “I know.”

He clenched his jaw. “Are you at least going to keep your mouth shut long enough for me to apologize?”

“Maybe when your apology is sincere,” I said and got into bed. “By the way, don’t ever push me again.”

He just stared as I got on my side and shut my eyes tightly.