Sequel: Fulfilling Fate

Arranging Fate

The Truth

“Vampires aren’t real,” I said immediately.

“Then how do you explain this?” Zion asked.

I nearly fainted when I saw his fangs. I looked to Damascus but he had fangs, too. I backed up until I hit the chair and I fell into it. Zion went to a large iron door and opened it. There was a stack of wood and he used a nearby torch to light it. No one spoke as he waited for something to happen. He then went to the body and looked to me.

“You probably don’t want to see this,” he said but I was too horrified to look away.

He scoffed and carried the body to the large stone stove. Without so much as a prayer, he tossed the body into the flames. I gasped as he closed the door. An awful smell filled the room and I plugged my nose. Damascus sprinkled some kind of powder on the candles and torches. A floral scent filled the room.

Zion was watching me. I was shaking and wrapped my arms around my body, cold. He got his cloak and put it around my shoulders. It was still warm from when he wore it and I pulled it closer to me. Zion pulled the table over and sat on it, seemingly oblivious to the blood on it. He was still watching me and I gulped.

“What happened to him?” I asked.

“He was attacked,” he answered.

“What was he attacked by?”

“Another vampire,” he said, soaking up the blood on the table with a rag Damascus gave him. “We were on our way back when we were ambushed. But don’t worry. The others are dead.”

I shuddered at the thought and looked at the oven.

“Wh-Why’d you burn him?”

“It’s our way,” he said. His eyes searched mine. “You were chosen for a reason, Aviel.”

“Because I was unwed,” I said but he shook his head.

“No one can read your mind,” he explained and I stared at him.

“What?”

“The legends are true about the mind reading,” he said. This was the most he had ever spoken to me at one time so I kept silent. “Two years ago, we went down to the village to visit with Elder Suzenne. She is the only one who knows our true nature. We told her about the need for me to have a wife. We had different conditions, though.”

“Like?” I pressed when he stopped talking.

“The first is that she be unwed, obviously,” he said. “She had to be young, she had to be impressionable, and she had to be innocent. We took a walk among the village, disguised as her niece and nephew.” I suddenly remembered seeing the elder walking her family through the village. “That’s when I saw you. You were over by your house, carrying a big pile of wood. I couldn’t read your mind. I asked about you.

“She told me your story and how you had caught the attention of many young men. I knew, though, that you were the one so I made her tell your mother that you weren’t allowed to marry. Needless to say, your mother wasn’t happy. From what I understand, your suitors were all very wealthy. Of course I was wealthier than they were but she didn’t know who I was until the day before we married.

“I didn’t want to marry you. How do you explain everything to a human? If I could read your mind, I’d be able to find out how to talk to you about it but I can’t. Then, the day of our marriage, I got a letter from my father. He was furious with me that I didn’t have a wife by the time he wanted one. I had informed him that I chose you but that wasn’t enough.

“Unlike my mother, he wanted me to marry a vampire. He has given me an order: Once we consummate our marriage, I am to turn you into a vampire.”

“What?” I asked, shaking even more.

His eyes were soft, a gaze I wasn’t used to.

“The truth is that I’m very fond of you, Aviel,” he said in a low voice. “I have been since I saw you in the village two years ago. I’d keep an eye on you over the years to make sure your mother kept her word. That’s why I haven’t touched you. I don’t want to turn you into a vampire. I don’t want to force you to live this life.”

My head felt heavy and I put it in my hands. No one spoke and I took a few deep breaths. My rational side was telling me this couldn’t be real but the other part of me knew he was speaking the truth.

“Why keep it a secret for so long?” I whispered. “It’s been nearly four months.”

“The longer I keep you in the dark, the longer you get to stay a human.”

“Won’t your- Won’t your father be upset when he finds out you haven’t made me a vampire yet?”

He sighed. “He’s furious,” he said. “He knows everything that goes on here. Each painting in this home – aside from the ones in your study – are enchanted. He can see through them and so can I. That’s how I knew you were in my study. I knew it would happen soon but I had hoped you would have waited until I was home.” He scoffed. “That was a stupid thought, now that I look back.” He rubbed his chin. “Yes, my father is upset but he understands. Time is running out, though, now that you know the truth.”

“Time for what?” I asked.

“Your humanity,” he said.

I started to shake and stood up.

“I don’t want to be a vampire,” I whimpered, backing away from him. “I don’t want to kill people and-and drink blood. I want to be normal.”

“I’m sorry,” he said, his eyes full of remorse. “I don’t want to do it. Even my father agrees that you deserve better but we don’t have a choice. This is the way it’s meant to be.”

“Says who?” I challenged.

“Fate,” he answered with a grim face.

He was walking closer but I shook my head.

“No. Please.”

“I won’t do it now,” he said softly and I winced as he reached for me but he just touched my cheek. “I will give you three days.”

I tried to speak but I fainted.

~-~

It was a nightmare. I had a nightmare that Zion is a vampire and has a room full of demonic… things. I had a nightmare that he ordered for a man to be killed and then tossed him into a stove. When I open my eyes, he’ll still be on his trip.

I opened my eyes. Zion was sitting by the fire, his legs crossed so that his right ankle was on his left knee. He frowned slightly as he read but it wasn’t angry; just focused. A fire was lit and our room didn’t feel as… suffocating.

“It wasn’t a nightmare,” he said suddenly and I looked at him. He was watching me. “That’s what you’re thinking, isn’t it?”

“But vampires are just legends,” I whispered.

He sighed and closed his book, studying me. “Do you know how to ride?” he asked but I shook my head.

“I’m afraid of horses.”

He walked into my closet and came out with a heavy dress and boots.

“Change,” he said. “I’ll be back.”

I hesitated but did as he said. He knocked twice to make sure I was decent. He gave me a small box and I opened it to a pair of beautiful leather gloves. I slid them on as he stepped into his closet. I struggled with the tie on the heavy dress and sighed in frustration.

Cold fingers brushed mine away and I turned red as he finished tying it for me. I hadn’t heard him come back out.

When it was tied, he opened the door.

“Come with me,” he urged when I didn’t move. “Please.”

I sighed and did so, not in the mood to fight him. Heather watched me nervously as I walked downstairs with him. He didn’t touch me and I was glad for that. I felt a little uncomfortable in the dress; it had no sleeves and was low cut. He stopped at the door and put a cloak around my shoulders, clasping it at my neck.

We walked into the cold morning and to the barn. I nibbled my lower lip as he had two chestnut horses saddled and he held out his hand.

“It’s okay,” he promised. “They won’t hurt you.”

I stared at his hand. I didn’t trust him, no matter how much he said he was fond of me. He seemed to sense that, because he walked closer. He stopped just inches in front of me but I still didn’t look at him. He took my chin so that I would and I gulped.

“I know I haven’t earned it yet, but please trust me,” he said in a quiet voice.

“For now,” I whispered and he nodded, helping me to my horse.