Sequel: Fulfilling Fate

Arranging Fate

Why

Zion helped me so that my legs were covered by the dress which I learned was a riding dress. It was heavier than normal to hold up against the rough nature of riding a horse. Once I was settled, he showed me how to hold the reins then mounted his own horse flawlessly. I didn’t like having my legs on one side of the horse; I felt like I would slide off but I followed him anyway.

“Does it have a name?” I asked, looking at the back of the horse’s head.

“Her name is whatever you want it to be,” he said. “He is yours.”

I didn’t know what to name him so I stayed silent. We took the same path that I had walked down when I was attacked by the wolf. For a while, Zion didn’t speak. I wanted to know what he was thinking but, at the same time, I was afraid of what he’d say. Would he really have to change me into a vampire? Were vampires even real? Maybe their teeth are just really pointed from family genes….

“Thousands of years ago, a man named Lebanon walked the earth,” Zion said and I looked at him. “He came during a war. He was bloodthirsty in more ways than one. He turned countless humans into vampires who then did the same. For over two thousand years, vampires attacked and turned as they wanted. No one had enforced laws of any kind and it was chaos.

“Then Lebanon, having seen the destruction his bloodlust had caused, decided to make laws. As the father of the vampires, they all had to obey him. His laws were strict and permanent. Vampires are not allowed to attack humans without just cause, they are not to turn without approval from either Lebanon or one of his other generals, they cannot reveal their nature without his approval, and they had to live in secret. If they were discovered, they were given permission to turn or kill those who found them.

“Ever since then, things have been somewhat peaceful between the humans and vampires. When humans go to war, we refuse to join them and the same is done for us. Until now,” he added with a sigh. “Lebanon has given Elder Suzenne permission to help us in our war.”

I frowned at him. “She asked him to help your war?”

“Yes,” he said. “Her brother is a vampire but she chose not to be.” He rubbed his chin again. It had grown some stubble and I noticed he looked very handsome with some facial hair. “Lebanon made a condition for her, though: If she wants her humans to join in on this war, then she had to join our races. He chose- He chose his son.”

“Hold on,” I said and pulled the horse to a stop. “You are this vampire’s son!?”

He nodded and clicked his tongue. My horse started off again.

“He met my mother about a thousand years ago,” he said. “He had my sister about two hundred years into their marriage and then me another five hundred years later.” I frowned, finding it hard to believe. “The reason Suzenne wants the humans to help is because the enemy has taken her brother hostage. She wants to help save him.”

“Do the armies know?” I asked.

“No,” he said. “Once the war is over, though, they will be told. They will be offered to join our ranks. If they don’t, we will wipe their memories of the knowledge.”

“What started the war?” I asked.

“When Suzenne’s brother, Phillipe, was kidnapped,” he answered. He sighed. “I really don’t want to have to turn you, Aviel, but neither of us have a choice.”

“Why not?” I asked. “Why do I have to be a vampire!? I can’t help in the war! I don’t know how to fight!”

He sighed again. “Because my father doesn’t want me to be alone. He knows that, some day, you will die. He doesn’t want that. He also wants to make sure that you are safe from the enemy. Though this property has all the protection known to the vampires, there’s still a risk. When you become a vampire, you won’t be in danger any longer. And the only way we can have a child is if we are the same species. Since I cannot become a human again, there’s only one other way.”

“And I have no say in the matter?” I asked, stopping the horse again.

“No,” he said and I shut my eyes. “I know you probably hate me and I understand. But, along with your protection, your mother and sister are protected as well. They cannot visit and you cannot leave because they could be followed. There’s only so much we can do for them.”

I covered my face. “I don’t want this.”

“All I can do is apologize,” he muttered and I heard him move his horse so that he could put his hand on my back. “Apologize and promise that I’ll take good care of you.”

“How am I supposed to believe that after you’ve been so cruel for the last four months?” I asked, shrugging his hand off of me.

“I don’t expect you to do so overnight,” he said. “I know I’ve caused much pain but I hope you can understand why I did it. The longer I made you hate me, the longer I put off turning you. Now that you saw Uther’s death, though, I have no choice.”

I lowered my hands, feeling embarrassed.

“Do we have to consummate for you to turn me?” I asked in a small voice.

“Not necessarily,” he said slowly. “But I hope that, by the end of these three days, you may come to love me as I love you.”

I looked up at him, shocked. He spoke of fondness, not love. At first I thought he was lying to me. But his eyes showed nothing but love and I swallowed thickly. Could I come to love him? It was hard to imagine after everything but maybe, just maybe, things will change.

~-~

We returned to the house as the sun started to set. Heather and Kassandra were at the dining room table, looking nervous.

“Everything’s fine,” Zion said, helping me into my chair.

“I’m sorry I lied to you,” Heather blurted, dropping into the chair across from me. “I tried to tell you but you got hurt and-.”

“It’s okay,” I said. “I’m starting to understand.”

She nodded but didn’t look convinced. As we ate, I wondered what it would be like to be a vampire. I also wanted to know why my mind couldn’t be read.

“It’s usually the indicator that you are fated to be a vampire, one way or another,” Heather said as we went to my study after dinner. “Are you scared?”

“Very much,” I sighed. I noticed she lingered outside of the study. “What is it?”

“I’m not allowed to come in unless you say I can,” she said.

“That explains so much,” I said. “Come on in.”

She smiled and sat down beside me. “So why’d you ask me to come here?”

I played with my hands in my laps. “Zion said he loves me today,” I said and she nodded. “But I don’t know if I should believe him. He’s been so rude to me.”

“I told him not to do that,” she sighed. “But he was certain that, if he was kind to you, you’d want to seal your marriage soon and he loathes the idea of turning you. Are you going to do it tonight?”

I shook my head no. “He’s going to give me three days.” I looked out the window sadly. “I wish I could see my mother one more time before it happens.”

“I know,” Heather said, holding my hand. “But some things can’t be helped.”

“Were you two born vampires?” I asked and she nodded.

“Look, I know my brother’s been a real ass but he really does love you.”

“I can’t find it in me to believe that, Heather,” I said. “The only good memory I have of him is him healing my bruise!”

“Give him a chance,” she insisted. “These next three days I’m assuming will be spent with just him. Get to know him, learn more about him, and the rest will come.”

I looked at the door and lowered my voice.

“He wants us to consummate our marriage when he does turn me,” I murmured.

“Isn’t that a good thing? He said your mother said that you could get into a lot of trouble if you don’t seal your marriage.”

I nodded, tugging at my blond hair. “If the couple of an arranged marriage do not seal their marriage, then they can be punished by their families. Usually arranged marriage is done for money or, in my case, they have passed the age of marriage. When you go beyond the age of marriage, you can be banished from the village. It’s ridiculous and everyone hates it but it’s become tradition.”

“That’s awful,” she muttered then sighed. “I think it’s a good thing,” she said after some thinking and I looked at her nervously. “He won’t force himself on you but I know he wants to show you how much he loves you and to make up for how he’s been treating you these last four months.”

The clock struck nine and I felt tired suddenly.

“Thank you,” I said as we stood up.

“Sleep well,” she said and I hesitated outside of my door.

I walked in. Zion was pacing the bedroom and looked at me nervously before smiling. It was so strange to see. But it also looked natural. He had a face that was meant to smile.

“Are you all right?” he asked quietly.

I bit my lip and looked into his eyes.

“I will be,” I said and he nodded, understanding.