‹ Prequel: Arranging Fate

Fulfilling Fate

No More Secrets

I opened the door to Zion’s study. Tomas was moaning in pain and I quickly got the fireplace pulled back so that Zion could carry him downstairs. Despite their constant anger with each other, I knew Zion hated seeing his brother so vulnerable. I got the stove going so that I could get some water boiling and heard Zion rip Tomas’ outer shirt.

“I don’t need your help,” Tomas said weakly.

“Shut up,” Zion snapped. “Avi, can you get- Ah, thank you.”

I had already brought over the mixture of herbs Heather had put together. As Zion turned it into a paste, I took a closer look at Tomas’ injuries. They were multiple and I saw several bite marks that made me nervous.

“Zion, he’s been bitten,” I whispered and he stopped.

“What?”

I pointed. “There are bite marks. Several, it would seem.”

“I’m fine. They were just pansies.”

“Stop talking,” I said. “You’re just exhausting yourself more.”

“Don’t tell me what to do,” Tomas said but his eyes were closing as more color drained from his face.

“As much as I hate to do it, I agree with Tomas,” Zion said and returned to the medicine. “Those bites don’t look severe. The only threat would be if someone like our father bit him.”

I wasn’t convinced but nodded anyway. Once the water was hot enough, I started to clean Tomas’ wounds. His deep breathing told me had fallen asleep. It was weird to see him so vulnerable and, judging by the look on Zion’s face, it was the same for him. He worked quickly and told me to tie the bandages tightly. When we were done, Zion and I washed our hands. Zion crossed his arms and frowned at his older brother. I wrapped my arms around him and pressed my face to his arm.

“He’ll be fine, Zion,” I whispered.

“I know,” he sighed and loosened his arms to put one around me. “I just- Tomas has never been attacked on a mission before. This is bad, Aviel.”

“Why?”

“Because it means that they’re stronger than we thought. Tomas is a great soldier. It takes a lot to catch him off guard. Either they have a new weapon or he was distracted by something.” He ran his other hand through his hair. “We won’t know, though, until he wakes up.”

“What about the army coming to us?” I asked as he ushered me up the stairs. “And this jewel? And me being a witch? Why do they-?”

Zion cut me off with a kiss and amused chuckle. He pulled me in for a hug and I nestled my head under his chin.

“Don’t worry so much, lubirea mea,” he said and I calmed some. “My father has the answers to those questions so let’s go see him.”

“Okay,” I said and looked at the fireplace. “He’ll be okay?”

“Yes. He just needs rest. Come with me.”

I followed him downstairs. Lebanon was sitting on the couch, his head in his hands, while Eavana said soothing words. When we walked in, Lebanon’s head snapped up.

“He’s okay,” I said when Zion sat down without saying anything. “We cleaned his wounds. He has some bites but Zion said he’ll be fine.”

Lebanon just nodded and I looked around.

“Where are the others?”

“Going to get Suzenne,” Eavana answered.

I frowned. “I thought they couldn’t leave the property; that it’s too dangerous.”

Lebanon heaved a sigh. “Aviel, if what they said in that letter is true, then it doesn’t matter anymore.”

I sat down slowly in the remaining armchair and Zion stood behind me, slowly massaging my shoulders.

“I have a few questions,” I said and Lebanon looked at me. “What jewel were they talking about?”

Eavana took a necklace off with a sad sigh. “This is the reason that Phillipe was kidnapped,” she mumbled, passing it to me. “This is the reason we are at war.”

I looked at the necklace. It was a sapphire but didn’t seem particularly extraordinary. It shimmered slightly but that could just be from the fireplace.

“I don’t understand,” I said. “Why would they be after a simple sapphire?”

“Because that sapphire has the ability to reanimate the dead,” Lebanon said, glaring at it. “Whoever uses it, can order the corpses to do their bidding. I found it five years ago during an expedition I took Eavana on. It was supposed to be a simple anniversary trip,” he added sadly. “When I brought it back, our court wizard realized what it was immediately. Unfortunately, he talked before I could convince him to keep his mouth shut. Now we’re facing the threat of an army of vampires storming this property – and your village – for it.”

I frowned. “But why do they want it? We’re vampires! We don’t need something like this!”

“Not true,” Eavana said. “Think about it, Aviel: Lebanon has made it illegal to turn or kill humans without approval. By doing so, vampires can’t give in to their blood lust. There are some, though, that want to. So, with this stone, they can have their own army of undead to overthrow Lebanon. He’s a good ruler just stubborn,” she added, putting a hand on her husband’s arm.

Lebanon scowled. “I know what it’s like to get caught up in it, Eavana,” he said harshly and she looked away. “I know how easy it is to kill and find pleasure in it. I refuse to watch my people spiral into insanity from what the blood can do. I was lucky to get Tomas to stop when I did.”

“Tomas gave in?” I asked, shocked.

“Yes,” he sighed. “Three months before Zion came out here.” Lebanon rubbed his chin. “He went on a rampage on the servants in our castle. Many of them were human, you see, and their blood drove him into a frenzy. Now I have an all vampire staff. I won’t put the humans at risk again.”

I passed the necklace back to Eavana. “Why not have it destroyed?”

“I would if it were that easy,” he said. “It’s magic, though, and can’t be destroyed by ordinary means.”

I nodded thoughtfully just as the door opened and a group of people walked in. I gasped and ran to my mother, hugging her so tightly I was sure she’d snap in half. She hugged me back, crying into my shoulder. Then I was yanked away from her by my sister who crushed me.

“I missed you,” I said, wiping away my tears once I was free from my sister’s arms.

“So it’s true,” my mother said when she saw my fangs. “I mean, we were told once your marriage was agreed upon, but I didn’t think….”

“It can be a shock,” Lebanon acknowledged. His eyes were on Suzenne, though. “You’ve been hiding something from me.”

“Not hiding,” the elder said with a sigh. “Is there somewhere we can talk?”

I held my arm out to the living area. She looked unsure if she wanted to talk in there, though.

“I’m not going to have any more secrets,” Lebanon said firmly. “Secrets caused harm in their marriage and have now put our lives at risk. That includes the lives of all those in the village,” he added and my mother gasped.

Suzenne relented and we all merged into the living area. I watched Ilya take some food upstairs and understood Tomas must have woken up.

“Later,” Zion muttered when I looked at him.

I nodded and turned my attention back to Suzenne. She sat stiffly on the couch and looked at me guiltily.

“You look well,” she whispered.

“They think I’m a witch,” I said, ignoring her. “That’s impossible.”

“Actually, it’s not,” she said. “You recall when Isabelle came back home after her husband died and I made a special… drink?”

“Yes,” I said with a frown, looking at my sister briefly.

“The drink had a potion in it,” she said. “Everyone has a certain amount of magic in them, you see. The potion was meant to activate it. Whichever of you reacted to it, I knew would have a better chance with Zion. Well, that was the original plan,” she added and I frowned. “Then Zion picked you and his word was final. The magic activated in both of you, too.”

“Why do they want me?”

“Because you have the power to destroy the stone,” she said and we all looked at each other.

“But it’s magical,” I said. “I thought-.”

“So are you,” Suzenne interrupted. “That gives you the power.” She sighed. “I’m sorry I lied to all of you. I will do anything to get my brother back, though. You say there is an army on its way now?”

“Yes,” Lebanon said, his eyes narrowed. “We will speak about your secrets later, Suzenne. For now, we need to come up with a plan to protect the village.”

She nodded and stood up. “I will gather the elders for a meeting with you.”

“No,” he said and looked at Zion and I. “Zion and Aviel will go in my stead.”

“Why both of us?” I asked. “Zion is the diplomat.”

“But you are from the village,” Lebanon smiled. “They know your face and will keep an open mind.”

“Are we going to tell them what we really are?” Zion asked.

“Yes,” Lebanon said with a hint of regret. “You’ll know when to do it, though, so don’t worry about that.” Outside, thunder rumbled and Lebanon looked at all of us. “Things are about to get dangerous; everyone prepare yourselves.”