‹ Prequel: Arranging Fate

Fulfilling Fate

Gerard

I was back to normal two days later. It was just in time, too. Our guest arrived just as I was kicking Eavana and Lebanon out of my study and back into my bedroom.

“I’m the lady of the house,” I reminded them, crossing my arms stubbornly. “I’ll order you if I have to.”

Eavana sighed but she was laughing as she did as I said. When I was sure they were going to stay in the bedroom, I went downstairs. Someone knocked and I stared at the door.

“Our location is supposed to be hidden,” I said and looked at Zion. “They can’t find us.”

“You don’t remember?” he asked. I stared. “It’s probably Gerard.”

“Oh!” I said. “Oh, I forgot!” I hurried to the door and opened it. I smiled. “Please, come in.”

A male vampire walked in with a small bag. He looked around, smiling. He had long red hair and bright blue eyes. He was handsome and I knew he and Kassandra would make a beautiful child. Speaking of which, I noticed both women were missing.

“Gerard,” Zion said with a smile and the vampire laughed.

“Prince Zion,” he said and shook his head. “Looking handsome as always,” he teased with a wink and Zion laughed, rolling his eyes.

“Heather and Kassandra will be down in a moment,” he said. “How long will you be staying?”

He shrugged. “It shouldn’t take too long,” he said. “A day or two at the most.”

They were speaking as if they were talking about dinner, not about making another life.

“This is my wife, Aviel,” Zion said when I cleared my throat.

Gerard took my hand and kissed it. “It’s a pleasure to meet you, Princess.”

“Oh yeah,” I blinked. “I’m a princess, aren’t I?”

They both laughed at me just as Heather and Kassandra came downstairs. Gerard grinned and, to my surprise, hugged Heather first. She hugged him back and he whispered something. She nodded but her eyes were watery as he embraced Kassandra. I knew what would happen next but not sure when. Gerard nodded to us all and put his hand on Kassandra’s back, pushing her gently.

Well. They weren’t wasting time.

“Let’s go for a ride,” Zion said, seeing the look on his sister’s face.

“Okay,” I said.

I was nervous about horses but Heather needed to be out of the house. I let the two of them ride ahead of Pitch. Their horses were right next to each other and Zion was holding her hand. About ten minutes into it, Heather started to cry. I couldn’t hear what she was saying but Zion didn’t speak until she was done. I could hear the gentle rumble of his voice. Peace radiated from him and I saw Heather’s body relax. Mine did, too, and understood that he could project peace sometimes.

“They should be done,” Heather said in a stuffy voice, turning the horse back around.

“Are you sure you want to go back now?” I asked, watching her nervously.

“I’m sure,” she promised. “I’ll be fine, Aviel,” she added when I didn’t move Pitch.

I looked at Zion who nodded once and led the way to the barn. Sure enough, when we got back, Gerard and Kassandra were sitting in the living area. We joined them and sat in silence for a while. Gerard stood and grabbed Heather’s hands.

“We won’t know until tomorrow,” he said in a soothing voice. Heather just nodded. “Excuse us,” he said to us and pulled Heather into the dining area.

“Are you all right?” Zion asked Kassandra and she nodded, staring at her hands.

“Kassandra,” I said, sitting beside her. “What is it?”

“I feel like I’ve betrayed her,” she said in a small voice.

“You didn’t,” I said. “You agreed, remember?”

“She did this for me and she’s hurting because of it,” Kassandra whispered, wiping away a tear.

I wanted to comfort her but remembered the seed of doubt Tomas placed inside her mind. It made me wonder if she still felt that way. Heather and Gerard returned before I could ask, though, and I quickly jumped to my feet. Heather sat beside Kassandra and we all sat in silence again.

“What happens now?” I asked.

“You witness the signing of the contract,” Gerard answered and I looked around.

“I don’t see a contract.”

“It’s not physical,” Zion explained. “Gerard and Kassandra make vows and agree to it by swapping blood. Kind of like feeding but they’ll do it differently.”

I nodded and the two stood in front of the fire. Eavana and Lebanon walked in and Lebanon watched with narrowed eyes. Eavana sat beside Heather and put a comforting arm around her shoulder.

“Gerard, you first,” Lebanon ordered and Gerard looked nervous.

I couldn’t blame him. It’s not every day you’re ordered to help bring a grandchild into the father of all vampires' family.

Gerard took a deep breath. “Kassandra, I promise to do all I can to help you through this pregnancy. I will provide financial, emotional, and physical support in any way you may need it. I promise to not touch Oliver until your child has been born. I promise to see the child as yours and Heather’s, not mine. Though it will have my DNA, I recognize that it is Heather’s more than mine.”

Kassandra gulped. “Gerard, I promise to do all I can to make sure the baby is healthy. I will do everything I have to in order for it to live. I will not let anyone harm it. I promise to not touch Heather unless to feed until the child has been born.” She cried a little. “I thank you for acknowledging the parents of the child but I promise to let you see and ask about the child all you’d like. Heather and I both promise to tell the child of its father when the time is right.”

Gerard squeezed her hand with a comforting smile.

“In front of these witnesses, we sign the contract,” they said in unison.

Then Lebanon passed them a silver knife. I gasped. Heather stood as well and went to them. All three of them sliced their right hands and took turns shaking hands. Zion got some bandages and wrapped them around their hands.

“I think the three of you have some talking to do,” Zion said. “You can use my office.”

“Thank you,” Gerard said and held both women’s hands as they went upstairs.

“Why the silver?” I asked Lebanon. “Wouldn’t that hurt the baby if she’s pregnant?”

“No,” he said. “And it will heal once the contract is over. This is old magic, Aviel.” He sighed. “Let’s keep this between us, please. Tomas doesn’t need to know.”

“Very well,” we agreed.

“Can we have balsamic chicken and rice for dinner?” Eavana asked after a long silence and Zion laughed.

“That sounds disgusting,” he said and I slapped the back of his head. “I mean, that sounds wonderful.”

We laughed.

~

Gerard took Tomas’ usual seat and told us how things were at the kingdom.

“Everyone certainly misses you,” he said to Lebanon. “It’s not the same without our king and queen.”

“How are they doing with the war?” Lebanon asked nervously.

“Just fine. The guards are all in their places and I’ve made sure the guards in the palace are being faithful.”

“You are?” I asked. “Forgive me, but I didn’t think you were that close to the family.”

Gerard arched a brow. “I’m one of the Majors of the army.”

I threw my fork down and tossed my hands in the air. He looked surprised as I glared at Zion.

“Is there ever a time I’ll know everything?” I demanded and he smiled sheepishly.

“I forgot,” he said. “It’s been a little busy, if you haven’t noticed.”

I rolled my eyes. “Yes, Zion. I’ve forgotten all about the vampires I murdered and the argument we had.”

“Vampires?” Gerard asked, now putting his fork down. He frowned. “What vampires?”

“They had some vampires staking us out,” Lebanon said.

“Interesting choice of words,” I said and he laughed.

“Aviel accidentally wandered off the property,” Zion said, putting his arm around me by resting it on the chair. “Her vampire decided she was in trouble and took care of the threat. We still have one downstairs.”

“Is he still not speaking?” I asked and he nodded with an irritated sigh. “Let me talk to him.”

He laughed. “He’s terrified of you.”

“Come on,” I said. “I’ll-.”

Someone stumbled down the stairs and we all jumped to our feet. Lebanon ran to Tomas who fell to his knees. He was covered in blood and gripping something.

“Tomas!” Zion shouted and ran to his brother. “Tomas, what happened?”

“Ambushed,” he gasped. He held up the bag. “Father, they know. They know and they’re on their way.”

He fainted, falling face forward. The bag slipped from his hand and a severed head with a scroll tied to it rolled onto the floor. I gasped, covering my mouth. With a steady hand, Lebanon took the scroll. Gerard sighed and knelt beside the head.

“It’s Gren,” he announced. “Another Major,” he added when I looked confused. “He was on the south border. I was going to check on him when I left here.”

Lebanon unrolled the scroll and sighed.

Lebanon, I know you are reading this. We know your son married the witch. We know you’re in the village. We know you have the jewel. We are coming.

I frowned. “Witch? I’m not a witch?”

Lebanon frowned at me. “I think it’s time we talk to Suzenne. Something’s not right here.”