‹ Prequel: Renegade
Status: Active

Defector

Growing Pains

Growing up under Nolan and Eleanor was not easy for any of the Fierce children. Each child trained and given a talent by their father, and each fought for attention from their mother whom did have a favourite and it showed.

Aaron Fierce was taught to be just like his father. Trained at a young age how to lead and how to use his power of persuasion. His unique skill always got him whatever he wanted and allowed him to acquire friendships with powerful people. This unfortunately put a damper on Aaron and Eleanor's relationship considering she shut him down anytime he whined, cried, or pleaded for something he wanted. She was in charge and never let her children control her. Aaron stuck to his father's side where he was rewarded for his behavior instead of disciplined.

Maeve Fierce always wanted to be a doctor. At a young age, she was discovered by her mother dissecting a dead mouse from the mouse trap in their basement. Horrified, Eleanor sent Mae to her room without supper that evening while she discussed this behavior to Nolan. He was shocked, but not in the way she hoped he'd be. He was pleased and excited she showed an interest in surgical studies, something he himself once wanted to pursue. He gleamed with joy as he celebrated Mae's curiosity. Eleanor, on the other hand, was scared. Mae had dissected it all. If it once had a pulse, she had seen the inside of it and that would put a wedge between them. She felt her own daughter looked at her like something to dissect instead of her mother.

Logan Fierce was seen as insignificant in the eyes of Nolan. He didn't show any signs of anything special while growing up. Instead, he spent most of his time with Eleanor. Logan seemed to be the only child she cared for and bothered with. That is until Nolan got his hands on him. When Logan was seven, his favourite toy was hidden by one of his older siblings. Neither one would confess as to who did it or why. With just using deductive reasoning alone, he knew it was Aaron. Why would Mae take his belongings? It didn't make sense. Aaron had been lying and upon discovering this fact, anytime Aaron was questioned about it, Logan's ear would twitch sensing the lie. Nolan witnessed the ear move on his youngest as he felt his own twitch detecting his eldest was lying.

Nolan whisked Logan away in a hurry and began intensely working with him. His other two children were well on their way to greatness due to his early teachings, but Logan was behind the others. They had to start immediately.

He was tough on him. Training his ear to be sensitive proved to be a challenge for both. Logan wasn't responding well to any of Nolan's tactics and it seemed like it was hopeless. After a long session of failure, a frustrated Nolan did something he hadn't ever done to any of his children, he struck him. It wasn't hard, but it was enough to stun Logan. They were both frozen; one afraid to move and the other fighting the urge to strike again.

Nolan eventually lowered his hand and cleared his throat, leaving his child with words which only made him more fearful.

"This is what will happen if you can't meet my expectations."

From that day until after his ninth birthday, Nolan aggressively trained Logan's ear to detect every lie. Eleanor missed her son, but was told to not interfere with his training as he needed the most help. She didn't approve of this and just wanted the best for her baby boy.

Once his rigorous training was complete, Logan was back in Eleanor's arms where she taught him the essentials he needed to be as normal as possible. He would need those life skills if he was going to survive in this world, especially if something were to ever happen to her.

When the bombs struck and the family was eventually separated, Logan prayed to reunite with his mother. But when they were all together and she was still missing, he knew he would never be apart of his family the way he was. His sister, although quirky and obscure, still somehow believed they could all be a family again if all parties put in effort, but it would never happen. The bad blood between father and son would never be mended.

Even with his father eight feet in the ground, he's still with him in a haunting way. The tick which was drilled into his brain still occurs reminding him he's far from normal.