Status: Rating for language

Stolen

Overwhelmed

“I don’t like this,” Vincent said as they walked through the halls to the front. “Your brother is going to kill me.”

“It’s going to happen sooner or later,” Carmen answered. “I’d rather get it over with. Then you two can keep me in the house all you’d like.”

“Until you decide to tell the rest of it,” he said. She looked at him in surprise and he rolled his eyes. “I’m not dumb, Carmen. I know you haven’t said it all.”

She didn’t answer. They got to the door leading to the front. Even from here they could hear all of the voices. Carmen took a deep breath and opened the door. All talking ceased and she stopped in the doorway. Then, as if someone had unmuted a TV, everyone burst into speech. She stumbled back and Vincent put a soothing hand on her back.

She walked forward slowly. Police officers were doing their best to keep the mass of people from overwhelming them all. Vincent was impressed; Carmen was doing well. She pushed on, wincing as lights flashed in her face. People tried to get his attention but he ignored them. He was sure he looked like a bodyguard but he didn’t care. If she got hurt, Kevin would kill him.

When they got to his car, the media pressed up against the car, shouting to be heard from inside. Carmen was paler than normal as he started up. But the dense crowd prevented him from going anywhere. He honked a few times but no one moved. Finally, he put his foot on the gas gently and people scattered.

“You’ve opened quite the box,” he mumbled, looking through the rearview mirror.

“I know,” she said, exhausted. “But it had to be done. I don’t know when they’re gonna….”

He glanced at her to see if she was okay. She was asleep, though, which didn’t surprise him in the least. He pulled into the garage as the press was on his property again. When it was shut, he picked her up and took her inside. Kevin was pacing nervously and his face crumpled in relief when he saw them.

“How is she?” he asked.

“Exhausted,” he said. “Kevin, you won’t believe what she told them.”

After getting her in bed, he told him and Tara everything. Tara was sobbing and Kevin was pale. He jumped to his feet to go throw up in the bathroom. Vincent poured him some rum and got some juice for Tara. When Kevin got back, he plopped on the couch instead of the table.

There was silence then Kevin began to sob audibly. Tara ran to him and Vincent put his head in his hands. All that accomplished was seeing Carmen tied up in some dark room being tortured and he slammed his fists on the table. He heard the glasses shatter but didn’t bother to pick it up yet. As Carmen had told her story, her eyes looked more and more dark. It was like they were sinking into her skull. The horrors she spoke of…. He knew there was more but now he wasn’t sure he wanted to know what else happened.

Tara eventually convinced Kevin to go to bed. He heard her sweeping up the broken glass and cleaning up the spilled alcohol. Vincent wanted to help but he was still paralyzed from all he had heard.

“It’s okay,” she whispered when he mumbled an apology. “You should get some rest, too.”

“I can’t sleep,” he sighed, finally moving by leaning back. “Not after that. I’ll…. I’ll get on Facebook and see if I can find that guy’s daughter.”

She nodded and Vincent slipped into his bedroom. He had traded in his laptop for the desktop. It was easier to make sure he kept the Internet steady. That and he was too clumsy for a laptop.

Carmen was whimpering in her sleep but she wasn’t thrashing around so he sat down. After signing in, he opened his Facebook. He felt sick. Already people were posting about how Carmen was back. If this Agency group were really looking for her, it definitely won’t be hard.

He went to the search bar and typed in Jenna Engleton. He sighed at how many Jennas there were in the world. He didn’t even know where to start. He wrote down the first ten then went to each individual person.

“Kansas.”

Vincent swore loudly as he jumped and spun around. Carmen laughed weakly from the bed and smiled.

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to scare you. He was from Kansas.”

“Jeez, my heart’s still going,” he mumbled and she laughed again. “I’m sorry if I woke you up.”

“You didn’t,” she said with a yawn.

There was silence as he scrolled through for the location. There were two in Kansas and he opened each profile. One was private and the other open. The open one was an old woman and looking through the pictures proved it wasn’t her. So, he clicked ‘message’ on the private profile.

My name is Vincent. If you’re father’s name was Braden, please respond. I have information that you will want to know.

He pressed the enter button. Before he could suggest that Carmen get some food, his computer pinged. Surprised, he looked and saw that the private profile had responded and even sent a friend request. He accepted it before reading the message. Carmen cried when she saw the picture.

“She looks just like him,” she whispered.

She was standing beside him now and he offered to let her sit there instead. She just shook her head and sat on his left leg. He cleared his throat and opened the message.

Who are you? How do you know my father?

Do you have video chat?

There was the icon of someone typing.

Who doesn’t?

“Looks like we’ve got a real winner here,” he said sarcastically and she laughed, snuggling into his hoodie.

He pressed the video chat and waited. It was accepted and a woman came into view. He coughed on the air.

“Wait. I thought your name was Cindy.”

There, on the other side, was the reporter from KRXY.

She looked as shocked as he was. Her eyes slid to Carmen. Carmen was crying.

“You look just like him,” she repeated, wiping at her eyes with her sleeve.

“You knew my father?” Jenna asked and Carmen nodded. Jenna looked at the two of them. “Can I come over there?”

“No.”

Kevin was in the room now and he glared a little at the sight of Carmen on his lap but Vincent couldn’t just push her off.

“You’re that reporter. I’m not letting you scam my sister!”

“Kevin-.”

“You’ll just make her life hell! She’s been through enough!”

“Kevin,” Carmen tried again.

“I won’t let it happen.”

“Kevin!” she shouted and he stared. “This is Braden’s daughter.”

“Oh,” he said. “You two can meet somewhere. I don’t want you on my property.”

Jenna nodded. “Where?”

“Coffee shop on 15th,” he answered. “And Vincent and I will be there.”

Jenna just nodded again and ended the call.

“Carmen, can I have a minute with Vincent?”

“Sure,” she said and walked out. “Just be quick.”

Kevin shut the door.

“I couldn’t just make her get off,” Vincent said.

“You can’t play with her like this,” Kevin snapped.

“I’m not playing with her,” Vincent argued. “She sat on my lap. What was I supposed to do? Push her off?”

“Tell her no! Give her the chair!”

“You don’t think I didn’t try? Relax, Kevin. I’m keeping my space and she’s keeping hers!”

“Her sitting on your lap like some chick at the bar is not keeping space!”

Vincent’s jaw clenched as he stood up. He was bigger and taller than Kevin and the second man looked intimidated.

“You’re being way too paranoid, Kevin,” he said. “Now stop. You’re just stressing yourself out. And if Carmen finds out you’re doing all this, she’ll be pissed.”

Kevin glared. “Fine. But don’t make me talk to you again.”

Vincent just shook his head and opened the door. Carmen was standing in the living room with Tara, her hands drawn up to her face. She looked nervous about leaving the house again but he knew there was no talking Kevin into coming here. So, they all climbed into the Mustang and started for the coffee shop.