All I Have to Give

The End

One year later - Zacky’s POV

I sat on the couch waiting on Melanie to arrive, jiggling my leg nervously. I couldn’t believe this was happening. I never thought I’d actually get a chance to be with her, but I was wrong. Here we were a little over a year later and I was happier than I’d ever imagined I could be.

I watched the seconds tick my on the clock on the wall. Six minutes from now, she’d be knocking on my front door. I took a deep breath through my nose and slowly let it out through my mouth. I felt like I needed to vomit. Shaking that thought away, I tried to think of anything else. My mind drifted to a memory with Melanie’s mother.

I had just helped myself to a cup of coffee. It was our last full day in Ohio, our flight back home left the next day. I was so happy I’d been able to do this for Melanie.

“Good morning Zacky.” I smiled at Melanie’s mom. I felt comfortable being alone with her, she was like a second mother to me. “I really am so happy for you, I know how much you’ve loved her all this time.”

“Thanks.” I finished off my coffee and noticed how she looked nervous. I shot her a questioning look and she sighed.

“Not that I want you two to rush into anything, but here.” She put a ring down on the table in front of me. “This was my mother’s engagement ring that was passed down to me. I want Melanie to have it one day. I know you two have something really special so I want you to have this. I hope that when the times comes for this step, you’ll use this ring.”

I stared at her with my jaw dropped slightly. I definitely was not expecting this. She laughed and slid the diamond ring closer to me. I picked it up and turned it over between my fingers. It was a beautiful, vintage ring.

“I don’t know what to say,” I finally said.

“Just promise me you’ll take care of my baby girl. I can’t be with her back at home now, but you can.”

“I promise.” She reached across the table and squeezed my hand just as we heard Melanie coming down the stairs. I quickly pocketed the ring and got up to refill my coffee mug.

"Yeah and then I was like Jimmy you can't just throw random strangers into the water!" I said loudly, wanting Melanie to think we were talking about something else. Her mom smiled into her mug as she sipped it.


A knock on the door pulled me from my thoughts. Before I could talk myself out of it, I crossed the room and opened the door. I was greeted by Melanie’s smiling face and I planted a kiss on her lips.

I grabbed her hand and led her into the kitchen where I had dinner prepared for her. I had a fancy white tablecloth on the table with a vase of roses and a candle on top of that.

“Z, this is amazing,” she said and I smiled, relieved that she liked it.

“Sit, I’ll bring your plate to you!” I pulled out her chair for and she sat.

I quickly grabbed two plates and filled them with spaghetti, the only thing I knew how to cook. I threw a piece of toasted garlic bread onto each plate then grabbed the bottle of white wine. Once everything was situated on the table, we dug in.

The meal passed quickly. I was so fucking nervous. How was I supposed to do this? I just knew I was going to fuck it up somehow. I cleared away all the dishes except the wine glasses then took my place at the table again.

“Melanie…” She looked up at me and I nearly lost my nerve. That urge to vomit arose again, but I fought it down. “I love you more than I ever knew it was possible to love someone. You make me happier than I ever imagined I could be. You amaze me every single day. I never know what is going to come out of your mouth next, it keeps me on my toes and I love that. I know life with you could never be boring.”

She was beaming at me and that calmed my nerves a bit. Maybe I could do this after all.

“So, Melanie...” I pulled the small black jewelry box from my pocket and sank down onto one knee on the floor in front of her. “Will you marry me?” I opened the box with shaky hands and looked up at her.

She had tears spilling from her eyes. The silence seemed to drag on for an eternity and I really thought I would vomit this time. I looked at her expectantly and felt tears prick the back of my eyes when she finally nodded.

“Of course I will, Zacky!” I pulled the ring from the box and got up off the floor, pulling her up with me. I grabbed her left hand and slid the ring onto her finger.

“This was my grandmother’s ring! How did you get this?”

“I have my ways,” I said as I pulled her into my arms. “I love you so fucking much.”

“I love you too, Z.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay for happy endings! Thanks to everyone that has read, subscribed, and commented! You guys are awesome!