Sea Fair

Sea Fair - 01

Some things in life seemed just out of my reach. No matter how hard I would try, how I would strain out my hand and feel the muscles in my back tighten just as my fingers would come close to grazing what I wanted, tingling in anticipation… Some things were still just out of my reach. And it was infuriating. Maybe my desire to gain those deemed ever elusive was a part of why I would never be able to fully grip them. Or maybe I was never meant to have some of the things I so desperately tried to reach in the first place, and the struggle was the reason I was meant to continue trying. Or quite possibly there were things in life I did not deserve, and I would never be able to get them no matter how hard I strained. Whatever the reason, I knew that my determination to keep trying would never be deterred and I would always try again.

Perhaps that was the reason that I would make the decision to move halfway across the world and leave my family behind, to start a life over again. In a new country, a new town, and a new university. And perhaps the reason I would keep trying to reach things I knew I would never have. Like the seat on the shuttle bus from the airport taking me to my new home.

The bus was crowded, it was a Sunday morning, so I had not expected so many people to be taking the shuttle. Yet to my slight dismay, people bumped and jostled me from every direction and not a vacant seat was to be found. But as I stood with my carry on held close to my chest and my duffle bag around my feet I was sure this early morning transport would be much like the rest of my new life. Overcrowded and pushy.

It wasn’t that I had no excitement for my new home, I was indeed very thrilled to be in a new place. But I also had a very healthy appetite for fear and for new situations that warranted some apprehension. Being in my early twenties, I had learned enough of the world to know that not everything could be as simple as planned, and that sometimes risks needed to be taken in order to get what you wanted. But you also had to be careful, not to push yourself and not to take risks that weren’t necessary or you could lose sight of what you wanted. And I never wanted to lose sight of what I really, really wanted.

The driver announced the next three stops, and I perked up realizing mine would be the second next. I gazed out the windows trying to gain some bearings but to no avail. All of the buildings were so large and the glass refracted the early morning light and bounced it into my eyes forcing me to squint hard and turn away from the window. It seemed it would take a lot more than a cursory glance out the window for me to get used to my strange new surroundings.

I had lived in big cities before but I had never been to a city like this. The road was framed on both sides, the one having huge buildings made of shiny steel and impeccable glass, the other roared with the sound of the sea. I knew I was going to like it here; so close to the sea and all the commodities of the town and university before me. What I was unsure of liking was the new home I was to live in. As the bus pulled to the first stop, I began gathering my things. I made sure I had my backpack, and that my passport and money was still in place inside my cargo vest. I made sure my old and weathered leather duffle bag was easy to grab so that at my next stop I would be ready to go and much to my planning, I was. One swift stoop to scoop up my bag, three strides to the bus’ open door, and two steps down the stairs and I was breathing the salty sea air.

I took several deep breaths as I stepped from the bus and towards the buildings on the the road. I turned, watching the bus pull away and finally got my first real view of the sea stretched out in front of me. It was stretching from horizon to horizon, and the salt air filled my lungs much to my delight. I savoured a few special moments, committing the waves and the cries of the seabirds to memory. I wanted this image of the vibrant sea to be the first I remembered when I thought of my new home. I wanted to remember the whiteness of the sand that stretched as far as the horizon, the beach crowded with people enjoying the surf, and the warmth that rolled in with the waves that crashed to the shore. I wanted to remember how utterly beautiful and comforting the sea was.

Digging my hands deep into my denim coverall pockets, my duffle slung across my body and my bag sturdy on my shoulders, I turned ready to embark. I was a several block walk north of the bus stop to reach my new home, but I wasn’t worried as I had already consulted my map and was positive of where I was going. I took long strides, as I admired the streets around me. They were all very busy, as it was mid summer and the tourism of this city was in full bloom. People darted in and out of store fronts, ladies with big bags giggled in clusters as they walked down the streets, and men in business suits spoke deeply on their phones. The bustle was like most cities I had lived in, but something seemed different. Most everyone was smiling. As I walked, I was hard pressed to find someone who was unhappy looking. It was quite a sight to see, and as I measured every smiling face I could feel the positive energy of this colossal beehive dancing around me. It was incredible.

About a block from the apartment complex I was destined for, I stopped at a street corner grocers. I wanted to grab a few essentials so I could spend my first day a little more relaxed. I took my time, grabbing a small carton of eggs, some soy milk, a bag of mixed bagels, and a small block of cheese. As I stood at the till, I noticed a small coffee shop across the way and decided it would be my next stop. Now armed with a small grocery bag as well, I made my way across the street to the coffee shop. I knew I was close to the apartment, but I always had time for a coffee. Ducking inside, the strong scent of coffee beans struck me, and I breathed deeply. Today was definitely a day for pleasant scents.

There was one small serving counter, and loads of tables and chairs all mismatching and in every nook and cranny of open space inside the shop. I stepped up to the counter, and glanced at their chalkboard menu. Deciding my order, I tried to catch the eye of the server with his back to me. He was tall with a lean but defined muscular build which I could clearly see as he was scrubbing the coffee machines in a short sleeved black t-shirt. He sported very light silver hair that was trimmed closely on the sides and quite messy on the top leading me to believe he was a much older gentleman, maybe in his early sixties. But I was surprised when he turned around, and I was met with someone not much older than myself. He had the lightest blue eyes I think I had ever seen, and they pierced right through me as he approached me with a smile. He had a straight and strong nose, as well as prominent cheekbones and very rosy cheeks, no doubt from all the hard work and the steam of the coffee machines. As I pondered whether or not one could truly overheat from exposure to coffee machines, I noticed that I had been staring at his face for several minutes.

I unscrewed my concentrated face, and cleared my throat awkwardly, “Can I get a soy latte to go please? The largest size you have.” My voice was it’s clear and calm self, but I could feel my confidence fading with the blush that rose to my cheeks. He smiled again, flashing pearly whites behind perfectly plump and rose coloured lips.

“Is that everything?” His voice was liquid soft, as I could feel it pouring through one ear and out the other. I nodded, definitely embarrassed now, as I looked down and fidgeted with my passport holder. “Then that will be three-twenty.” I handed him the money silently, and scurried to the waiting section of the counter. I wasn’t sure how I had embarrassed myself so much, I hardly did anything. Except for blatantly staring at a perfect stranger as if he were a work of art and I was a starving artist. I was a grown adult, poise and confident in myself and my ways. Yet there I was, feeling like a school girl who just got chastised for crushing on a boy.

“You’re not from here, are you?” The man startled me, and I looked up swiftly. He had come around the corner and was holding a plain white to go cup out to me.

I took it from him gingerly, “Thank you.” I spoke softly, as I took a sip. I maintained eye contact with him, trying to regain composure and full use of my voice. “I’m not from here at all, today is my first day in the country.” I spoke with ease now, feeling the warmth from the coffee in the pit of my stomach rather than the butterflies. I took another sip, hoping to scold them in their fluttering path.

“Your first day in the country!” His voice was suddenly loud and excited as he beamed down at me, making me glance around the coffee shop nervously. There were only a few people there, and nobody seemed bothered by his sudden outburst, making me believe it was not that out of the normal for him. “You are going to love it here. Dehlplea is the most beautiful country along the coast, and you’ll have so many opportunities here. Are you going to the University?” He was very enthusiastic, as his whole face brightened and he took a step closer to me. I just nodded, unsure if my own voice could match the excitement in his own.

I could feel the heat from him now, he was very close as his jovial tone continued, “Wow, congratulations! It may be a small country, but here in Jostalia you’ll find that there is so much going on all the time! Especially at the University! It is sort of like the central hub to the city.” His smile was infectious, and whether it be the coffee burning its way through the flapping wings in my stomach or the way his eyes twinkled I could feel myself relax despite his close proximity.

“Yes, I’m quite happy to be here, thank you.” I nodded once with a smile, to show my appreciation. “It has been an eventful half an hour since I got off the shuttle, and I can’t wait to see what is in store for me, hopefully a new bed to lay down in.” I giggled, feeling more at ease.

“You rode the shuttle on a Sunday morning?!” His voice was thick with shock, “Oh, no wonder you seemed so dazed and confused!” He laughed, and I knew it wasn’t at me but with me. But I couldn’t stop the faint heat that rose to my cheeks again. I laughed along with him, half-heartedly.

“Do you have very far to go? If you like I am off work in half an hour and I could be your tour guide.” His words were kind, and genuine as he said them. Still, I knew better than to be trusting of beautiful strangers.

“I’m only a few blocks from my apartment, but thank you very much.” I smiled warmly, as to not hurt his feelings. I shuffled my bags, and stretched out my hand to shake his, he took it pleasantly and we shook hello, “It’s been a pleasure to meet you…. er….” I stammered, realizing I had no idea what his name was.

He caught my lost look without a beat, “Stellan,” He added with his liquid voice again, placing another hand over mine, enveloping it now in both of his hands which were large and warm. “And you are?” His voice was gentle, curious.

“My name is Tora,” I offered, as he pulled his hands away.

“Hello, Tora. I hope to see you around here often.” His voice was so kind and it made the butterflies flutter feebly again, “And I really hope you enjoy your new home in Jostalia.”

“Thank you Stellan,” My voice was grateful, as I took another sip and another last glance in his direction before leaving the coffee shop and heading back out to the hunt for my apartment. I hoped I would indeed see him there often.

I knew I wasn’t far, about a block or so north. It seemed my complex was dead north from the bus stop, which would make my life a lot easier in the fall when I began university again and needed to take the bus to the campus. As I rounded the end of the block, the coffee shop still in view, I was amazed to find three giant white apartment complexes taking over the cul-de-sac that lay ahead of me. They were large and ornate, each building housing five floors and boasting huge windows with tiny walkout balconies. I located in awe, Building B, which sat squarely in the centre and would be my future home. I walked up to the huge double door, following the cobblestone path and up the giant stairs to knock on the door soundly.

I heard footsteps running, and a moment later a girl with bleach blonde hair tied back in two fluffy buns atop her head swung open the door. Her large saucer blue eyes fluttered curiously at me as she took in my appearance. I realized I must’ve been quite the sight standing there with my messy hair and tomboy travel clothes, my arms overburdened with bags and a startled look on my face.

“You Tora?” She asked, stepping back from the door. I nodded apprehensively, as she ushered me in excitedly. “Come in, come in! We’ve been waiting for you. It’s about time you showed up!”

I stepped inside, allowing my gaze to rove over the large entry hall to the apartment complex. There was a large desk that looked as if it belonged at a hotel far across the room, framed on either side by large double stair cases. The girl looked me up and down again, “Do you want help with anything?” Without waiting for an answer, she stepped forward and took my duffle bag off my shoulder and threw it over her own. She began walking ahead, not bothering to look back at me. Her heels clicked across the marble floor, and I shuffled behind her sounding less graceful as I tried to match her pace. She had long legs, the kind that models often sported and it made it difficult for me to keep up with her swift pace.

She must’ve noticed I was struggling, as she slowed down a fraction, looking over her shoulder. “You should know a little about it here if you are moving in. First of all, there are four resident floors to each complex. The first floor is used for everybody, and houses the gym, recreation rooms and a library to be used by students. Each floor above that is a resident floor.” She stopped at the top of the staircase, and smiled back at me. “The elevator is over here, follow me.”

We stepped in, and she pushed the button for the fifth floor. The gold doors closed silently in front of us, “You will be living on the fifth floor with me and two others. We each have our own bedrooms, and there is a common place kitchen, living room, dining room, and bathroom we use. You will be taking the only vacant room on our floor. It used to belong to a girl named Rikya, but she got kicked out for misconduct.” She rolled her eyes, as she bounced up and down on her heels impatiently.

The elevator opened on a small entrance space with a shelf for shoes, large ornate mirror and a light coloured chest which I assumed held jackets and other oddities. A few steps ahead of the entrance led to a large set of white double doors. Without hesitating, she stepped from the elevator and pushed open the doors dramatically, ignoring the entrance completely. The apartment beyond the doors took my breath away.

The doors opened in to a large living room, with soft white carpet and very tall ceilings that hung large dripping chandeliers. The walls were a very pale cream colour, and there were several cream leather couches in the room. There was a gigantic television on the far wall, framed on either side by large French doors that opened to balconies. Right in front of the door was a small entry space and a step that led up to the living room. The girl placed my belongings gently by the stair, and pulled the rest of them off my body uncerimoniously to set neatly next to the other. Once she was done, she dusted her hands enthusiastically and turned to me with a giant grin.

“I’m DC, and welcome home, Tora!” She smiled brightly, and I felt a bit of warmth spread through my chest.
♠ ♠ ♠
If you like the story, or have any predictions on what it is going to be about, please feel free to comment! If you want more from it, please subscribe!

Polyvore Set 01

xoxo