Status: feedback welcome

The Heart of the Wolf

Four

My alarm rung to life as I tossed in bed. Today was Saturday, which meant that I survived the first week of school. I would most definitely consider that a win. I dragged a groggy hand over my face, moving my heavy hair out of the way. I glanced over at the offending clock and groaned instantly. 6:30 a.m. I had to be at the IGA by 7:00 a.m. I quickly kicked the cover off me and scrambled to my dresser. I shoved my legs into some tan dress pants and my arms through a light blue shirt with IGA stamped over my left collarbone.

My hair was a horrible brown mess on top of my head. I racked a brush through it and secured it back with an elastic. I rushed into the bathroom and splashed water on my pale face. My reflection scowled back at me as I stared up. Why was I always such a late person? I scooped up my bag off the end of my bed and run out the door, taking the stairs two at a time. Dad shouted at me as I sped out the front door. “Be careful and have a good day, sweetie.”

I gave him a brief smile as the door slammed shut. My baby was patiently waiting on me as I swung her driver’s side door open. “Who’s a good girl? I jammed the keys into the ignition, abruptly starting in the car. The gear slid easily into driver and I was racing down my driveway. For once, the drive didn’t captivate me. The clock on the dashboard read 6:40, urging me to stop on the gas. The drive went by quickly and then I was pulling into the IGA parking lot.

Alexandra and Ellie were waiting on me, both wearing the same matching uniform as me. I turned the car off and gave her a soft pat. “Sorry, girl. I’ll make it up to you.” I pulled my pursue over my shoulder and met them with a smile. “Hey guys!”

Alex grinned,” Running late as usual, Diana?”

I blushed but was fortunately saved by Mrs. Highlander. “Hello girls. Glad you could make it. Alex and Ellie, go to the back. You will be stocking shelves. Diana, you go to the front register. You’ll be learning how to be a cashier at my store. I like to run things a little different.” She turned on her heel, us right behind her.

I broke off from the pack and went toward the cash registers. A small blond girl, whose name tag said ANNA, greeted me softly. “Hi, you must be Diana. I’m Anna. I’ll be training you.” She gave me a hesitation smile before gesturing toward the register. One look and I knew it was going to be a long day. They had the old system which took forever.

Several hours passed, very few customers visited. The ones that did, had full carts and took twenty minutes a piece to check out. Anna could tell I was frustrated. She laughed,” Calm down, Diana. There’s nothing you can do to make it go faster. It’s a dinosaur system.”

I brushed a sweaty piece of hair behind my hear and rung up the last item. “I know. It’s just so slow.” A sweet, round lady who was glowing and her equally sweet son were waiting patiently for the total.

The little boy tugged on his mom’s hand. “Mom, mom, mom. Can I go play?”

She smiled down at him and ushered him to go. “Go ahead, sweetie. Just make sure you stay with your brothers.” I stared at her weirdly, wondering how she could be so young and have more than two kids. She said brothers… The machine finally popped up the total.

I put on an encouraging smile, desperately wishing for the end of the work day. “That will be $283.45, ma’am.”

She dug into her purse and pulled out the twentieth gold master card that day. The bank must be the only one in town. She quickly slid it into the card reader, which made horrible noises before accepting. I offered her a hand with her groceries which she politely declined. I leaned onto the stool behind and exhaled loudly. Anna giggled at me. “Diana, you’d think we had a million customers by the way you’re acting. At least it’s the end of the day for you. The punch out booth is at the back of the store. Turn right at the milk.”

I clapped childishly,” Thank God, that system is going to be the end of me. Thanks for your help, Anna.” I waved bye to her as I moved away. I hurried through the store and punched my card. I was finally free.

Ellie popped around the corner, looking just as exhausted. “Hey, Diana. How was your first day?”

I plastered one of my famous fake smiles to my face. “Great, wonderful, never better..”

Ellie interrupted me quickly. “Diana!” She laughed,” Great to see you in such a good mood. I’m starving.”

Alex jumped from behind the booth. “So am I!”

I grinned at them. “Time to go to the Diner?”

They both nodded their heads eagerly, trailing behind me as I practically galloped through the store. I gave Anna one last wave and let the warm sun hit my face as I walked outside. “Ah, now that feels great.”

Ellie agreed,” It’s the best feeling. My car or yours?”

I rolled my eyes. “As if that’s a question.” I cooed to my baby. “Did ya miss me, girl?” The girls chuckled at me as Ellie pulled the passenger door open. She shoved the seat up and Alex climbed in. I patted her lovingly one last time before joining them in the car.

The diner was so inviting as we pulled in, my stomach growling. I glanced at the dashboard clock, gasping when I realized it was 5:00 p.m. I hadn’t realized how late it was. My pay check would definitely be nice at the rate I would be working. We all pilled out and grabbed a booth next to the window. Mrs. Bitch Face was serving today. I actually did find out her name which was Pam. An alumnus at Ashford High and still stuck in the same town.

Pam bitchly looked at us as she came to our table. “What can I get you.”

I rolled my eyes at her. “A coke and grilled cheese.” I didn’t even bother with please since she was already starting her attitude today. Ellie and Alex followed suit with their own orders. Mrs. Bitch walked away and my mood instantly brightened. “So, that wasn’t too bad today. I can’t wait to see that pay check. We worked ten hours today.”

Alex excitedly answered,” I know right! It’s going to buy so many cute new clothes!”

Ellie offered,” I’ll probably buy new books.” Pam brought us our drinks and hurried away. Apparently, our feelings were mutual for each other.

Alex gushed as she looked out the window. “Oh, look at that!”

Ellie and I glanced over to see the pack of boys from school getting out of Aaron’s car. Aaron looked bored but perked up once he noticed me. Which didn’t take him long, it never does. I groaned. “Ugh, are you serious?”

Ellie shook her head. “Alex, when will you learn those boys are nothing but trouble.”

Alex instantly chilled,” Oh, come on. They aren’t that bad. Besides, Aaron has had his eyes on Diana all week.”

Red flooded my face as I shook my head in denial. “He has not. He hasn’t even talked to me besides that one time in last period.”

Ellie pursed her lips as she thought. “He has been looking at you a whole lot. He normally doesn’t pay attention to people. He stays to himself other than his own buddies.”

Pam thrusted our food at us and quickly meet the boys at the door. “Hey Aaron! Here come sit in my section. I’ll take good care of you.” She sent a rude smile my way over his shoulder. He followed her, his eyes looking away from her. The other boys yelled and shoved each other nosily. Soon they disappeared into the back.

I bit into my sandwich savagely as I realized how hungry I was. Ellie managed in between bites,” They are so annoying. They get first class service no matter how awful they are.”

I grunted my agreement, quickly finishing off my sandwich and digging into my fries. Alex was busy staring at the door they had left through. It was getting dark outside so we slapped a few bills on the edge of the table and left. As we were walking out the entrance, I heard a small yelp from a small alley. I stopped,” Aww, did you hear that? I’m going to go check on it.”

Ellie called after me,” You don’t even know if that thing has rabies or not!”

I ignored her and turned the flashlight on my phone on. A big dog was at the trash cans, blood pouring from its side. I sank down to my knees beside it, grabbing a random napkin from my purse and pressed it to the dog’s side. “Aw, you poor baby.” I gently scratched it’s head as I tried to stop the bleeding. The dog swung it’s big head around and stared into my eyes. I was hypnotized by it’s grey eyes, not noticing the bite that was going to follow it.
♠ ♠ ♠
I just want to apologize for the long wait! It's been a crazy week. Hope you enjoy the chapter and please, please leave a comment. Your feedback helps me create a better story for you!