The Red Glaive

LXXIX

“Delirious from lack of water, the Infernal Captain, just started dancing.”

“In the middle of the desert?” Videl asked, he was the only one engaging Niko. Telfer and Caius knew better. Get Niko too excited and he'd be impossible to stop.

“Yes! His men were dying from thirst but the Beast could not help them. He does not bring rain, you see, only the sun. Gone nearly mad, the Infernal Captain danced, calling for rain.” Niko said speaking faster than usual as they climbed down the stairs. “Though I didn’t expect to see that!”

Even though their boxes had been next to each other in the theater, access to their box was a different set of stairs than that of the sisters. Caius hastened his steps. He had asked Set how Aeria looked tonight. She had come on her own in some ploy her sister had concocted. He had expected Set to return with an uncomfortable or bored. Instead he had come back with beautiful.

Aeria had left before he had finished getting dressed he didn’t get to see her, though Adelaide had claimed she wore one of her finest dresses. He was curious now and Videl, Telfer and Niko all fell behind as he climbed the stairs.

People started emerging, talking about the performances. Caius bobbed and weaved through the people, some giving him looks when he bumped into them before immediately backing away. Even if they didn’t know him, they all knew that he was not someone whose way you wanted to be in.

A mess of people blocked his way allowing Niko, Telfer and Videl to catch up. “Why would the Avian give Austians rain? They are not his people.”

“I’m not exactly sure, I’ll have to read more on that.” Niko said as they pushed through. “Though I assume it’s like the Beast ridding the Flumina of floods. Though, tonight, the Legion preformed the rite exactly as it is described.”

“Think we’ll see rain?” Videl asked. He loomed over the crowd, taller than most.

“In Lux Aeterna? Land of perpetual summer?” Caius said when he couldn’t get through the crowd. He moved to the edge the hall to allow them to thin out.

Niko shrugged. “I do wish we’d get a least a little bit of snow. I do really miss it.”

Telfer shivered. “I’ll stick to summer.” He’d nearly died in the snow but Aeria had saved him.

Caius stopped short when they arrived at Aeria’s box. There was a man waiting outside for her to emerge, his spearmen guards enough to keep people away. He was dressed in the Legion’s armor, light hides over heavy fabric, though they all dressed the same, it was hard to tell him apart from anyone on stage.

The spearmen eyed him, as if expecting him to attack at any moment. The irrational part of Caius looked at this man, waiting so casually for Aeria, and wondered if he was the one Aeria had chosen over himself. It couldn’t be possible, the Legion had only just arrived, and yet a simmering rage slowly grew within Caius. This was the man who had beat him there.

Caius barged forward, towards the foreigner and Aeria’s door. His spearmen were quick to react. They brought down their spears and pointed them directly at Caius throat. Annoyed, Caius still didn’t stop. He could disarm them, pull the spear from the one on the right then use it to hit the one on the left. He’d have to duck before the left spearman got him, but they would not expect him to fight back.

“Caius?” Niko said, his voice nervous. It was enough to get Caius to stop just when their spear tips were a few inches away.

Glancing back, Niko, despite his hesitance, had his hand down fingers outstretched as frost coalesced and Telfer had jumped into the brawling stance Caius had taught him. Without his water gourd and the ability to pull water from the air it was the best he could do. Even Videl, who barely knew them, rested his right hand over his left hip over a sword that wasn’t there tonight. Each one of them would have his back if he chose to engage. They would all be just as guilty for assaulting this foreign sergeant, or lieutenant or whatever he was. He wouldn’t do that to them.

Caius stepped back, but only slightly, it was enough to get everyone to relax. Everyone except the spearmen who pressed their spear tips into Caius’ skin knowing he wouldn’t provoke them, for now.

“Now, men, this isn’t how you should treat my lady’s brothers.” The man said with a grin.

“The lady’s brothers?” Niko said confused. He didn’t know Aeria, only Ariel. It was Ariel who Niko saw a brother. He had no affinity to Adelaide’s younger sister.

“Uh.” Videl said standing tallest of the bunch a mess of red hair next to the shorter, very blonde Niko whose face was littered with freckles, then to brown haired Telfer, was shorter than the two but lanky with tan skin, then finally to Caius, dark haired, built like an ox and towered above everyone except Videl. None of them looked like each other, not even remotely.

“Might as well be.” Telfer said with a shrug. They were brothers through the Red Glaive.

Caius should’ve backed away from the spears, but he didn’t like the way he had called Aeria “my lady” so he stood his ground daring him to try something.

“I merely seek an audience with. . .ah.” He put a hand over his chin thinking. “You know, I didn’t happen to ask her name.” His green eyes stood out almost as bright as Caius’. Almost.

“Aeria?” Niko offered. He didn’t know her, but he at least remembered her name.

“Aeria. Lady Aeria.” He said savoring her name on his lips. “I figured that since she came without an escort, perhaps she needed someone to escort her to her carriage.”

“All I’m saying is, those cords were enchanted, there’s no reason for her to shaking her ass so much.” Adelaide said emerging from their neighboring box. She clutched on to her Duke’s arm as if he would run off at any moment to find the Enchantress. She had been good to look at, but Caius had already been burned by women like her. All fire with no substance.

Aeria’s sisters and the husbands stopped when they saw the guards, their spears at Caius’ throat, outside Aeria’s box.

“May I ask why there appears to be a small war brewing outside my sister’s box?” Adelaide said, the guards seemingly embarrassed by their aggressive behavior in front of a lady, finally pulled back their spears.

“Soren,” he said finally introducing himself with a low bow towards the ladies. “I wished to do was speak with the Lady Aeria. May you be so kind as to introduce us?” this man said turning to Adelaide this time. Her Duke stepped between them.

“I must apologize Captain Soren, I believe my wife’s sister is already interested in courting someone.” Duke Lonroth said.

Captain? As in captain of the Inferno Legion?

Caius’ eyes narrowed into a hard glare. Men like him didn’t keep women for long. They were soldiers, moving to where ever they were needed. Not that Caius had been any better. But if this captain was interested in Aeria, it could only be for one thing.

“Hmm, that so?” he said “I’d still like to meet with her.”

“Don’t you listen?” Caius said stepping forward again. The spearmen shifted their spears but didn’t threaten him again. “She’s already taken.”

“You seem rather bitter about that.” Soren said holding Caius’ glare with a grin. Very, very few men were brave enough to face Caius and those that did usually ended up on the floor. “Let’s go, I’m sure there will be plenty of opportunity to speak to Aeria at another function.” he said with a shrug omitting Aeria’s title as if he knew her personally, then left with his spearmen without giving Caius a passing glance.

Once he starting descending the stairs Caius all but barged into the door, but the Aeria’s box was empty. “Caius?” Niko said. “Are you alright?”

No.

“She must’ve left early.” Aget said. Adelaide went on about how Aeria had missed a very good opportunity to mingle.

As much as he didn’t want to stay, he didn’t want to ruin everyone’s night. Adelaide did most of the mingling. They spoke mostly of the performances after introducing her sister Aget and her husband. Caius only listened in for a few minutes before retreating to the bar most of the night waiting as Niko dragged Videl and Telfer around the hall looking at all the historical pieces. They had arrived so late earlier Niko was now making up for lost time.

You’re not having fun?” Set said walking down the bar to sit squatly in front of Caius.

Event like this Caius should’ve been the life of the party. Now he just sat, lonely, at the bar drinking. Women were not sit at the bar, and every prim and proper lady obeyed. Including one woman in particular, who hovered nearby trying to be discreet. One Caius did his best to ignore.

You’re upset because the Infernal Captain won’t back down from Aeria, while you already have.

“He doesn’t even know her,” Caius said chugging down his tiny drink in two gulps. He motioned to the barkeep for another. How many was that now? “Aeria’s happy with her man.” Who was he to interrupt that. His mind was starting to get fuzzy as the barkeep returned with another drink.

So you say.” Set said and jumped behind the bar. Caius felt a weight appear in his pocket as Set returned there.

Behind him there was a small crash and the men sitting beside Caius jumped off their seats to rush over. A single glass smashed against the spot Set had just sat on. Stupid fox seemed to have anticipated it.

“I’m fine, I’m fine, I. . .” Hilde’s voice came from behind Caius just as he remembered it and he downed the remains of his drink. “Caius?”

“Nope.”

“Caius that is you.” her hand fell on his shoulder tugging at him to turn.

“I don’t think so.” Caius said bracing himself against her meager strength.

Hilde let go with an exasperated sigh. “You’re just as stubborn as ever!” she said before he felt a hard shove from someone who definitely wasn’t Hilde. Not expecting it and a little drunk, Caius twisted in his seat, nearly falling off to face a group of men who hovered near Hilde wondering if she'd perhaps shatter at any moment.

She was more beautiful than he remembered. Was that possible? She was all but a girl when he’d met her, and he a stupid, stupid boy. Her Auburn locks had gotten darker, now a deep, rich brown. Her eyes, he’d always remembered them a dark, dark, brown, almost black. Now they seemed very much brown. The type of eyes you could get lost in. Hilde was a woman. A proper lady. He’d never met anyone uglier.

“You cur, the lady is speaking to you.” A man spat in Caius’ face clearly trying to impress her.

Caius sat back in his stool, resting his elbows on the bar top behind him. Across the hall, he saw Videl, Niko and Telfer making their way to him. The nervous look on Niko’s face didn’t stop him from approaching. Caius glanced at his aggressor, he wore a fine suit, with golden buttons. Small gold fish were embroidered on his sleeves. His hand rested on the pommel of a decorative sword. A little lord.

Caius stared back at this fish lordling. She should’ve backed down, like he did with the Infernal Captain, but he refused to do so twice in one night. That, and the alcohol that burned warm in his belly. So he took a breath and exhaled slowly, giving life to a small flame in the palm of his left hand. The men, giving Caius hard stares before, shrank back slightly. Hilde watched in awe, his fire dancing in her eyes.

The fish lordling, matching Caius’ stare with a glare, finally noticed the flames. His eyes went wide and he gulped hard. Caius smiled and let his fire die, then stood and the fish lord had to look up to look him in the eye. The lordling’s hand closed around the hilt of his decorative sword, threatening before, now just seemed to be pleading Caius not start something.

That was more like it.

“Caius we should go.” Niko said finally arriving at his side before Videl and Telfer. Caius nodded and walked away.

Hilde stopped him. “I have a room at this place called The Solid Steam. Please Caius, meet me there. I, I have many things I need to say to you.” She said her brown eyes pleading. Caius didn’t say anything, what could he say? He couldn’t bring back that pain.

He walked away without saying anything.

Aeria’s sisters were waiting for them by the door. “Yes, that was very kind of him.” Aget was saying standing with her arms crossed. Their men were no doubt in the long line to fetch their coats.

“Aeria will still need to present her endorsement, but by all intents and purposes, she’s already in the Pauper’s Pageant.” Adelaide said.

“Pauper what?” Telfer asked. Caius had that same question.

“It a contest of sorts,” Niko said. “That lets the king, or any high ranking lord really, pick a bride.” How did Niko know so much when Caius knew so little.

Adeladie’s eyes flittered to Caius. Hazel eyes. Beautiful eyes. Did all of them except Aeria have hazel eyes? And Hilde with brown eyes of her own. Hazel, brown, red. Too many colors.

Caius shrugged, finally feeling those drinks Caius felt that consuming tiredness take hold. He needed more drinks, more that burned as they went down to keep him awake. He’d have to wait until they left before could go to the Solid Steam to be treated by Perri. How long was that?

The girls still didn’t have their coats and there was already a long line to board their carriages. Caius dug his hands into his pocket feeling Set’s smooth black skull there. He should listen to him more. Maybe then he wouldn’t have to drink to drown out the feeling.

There was a door there, meant for the servants to have accesses outside in a hurry. “Caius where are you going?” Niko asked when Caius made a beeline towards the door and glad to find it unlocked.

Outside it was raining.

“For a walk.” He said walking into the downpour.
♠ ♠ ♠
Last POV for this part. Originally, it was only supposed to be Niko, Aeria and then Elric. Then I figured I'd add every POV so far and here we are. . Poor Elric, didn't make the cut, but I figured his POV would be too similar to Valerian and there hasn't been too much Valerian recently. Either way, I have something different planned for next chapter.

AlwaysDeadly, have you commented before? I don't think you have! Thank you for reading! And for actually making it this far