Clash of Steel

Chapter Twenty-Seven

Word spread quickly through Moria that the war with Icradia was over, and that Giselle was alive and well. Cheers rose as she rode over the drawbridge beside her father. People threw flowers as their king and soldiers returned, some children dodging through the crowd to look for their fathers and brothers.

Queen Vivienne greeted them on the steps, nearly knocking them both over as she embraced them. Gideon walked arm in arm with his wife and daughter as they entered the castle.

"Sir Lucas," he called over his shoulder. "Don't forget I wish to speak to you in the council room at the earliest convenience."

"Yes, Your Highness."

Giselle cast a look over her shoulder, meeting Lucas's gaze briefly. He gave her a tiny smile before she was ushered away. A host of maids hurried forward as she reached her room, drawing a hot bath and taking her travel dresses to be cleaned. Susanna came in through the door adjoining their rooms, her hair still damp from her own bath. She braided Giselle's hair into an elaborate plait and helped her into a gown.

"Everyone is going to hear soon that I can turn into a dragon," Giselle said.

"They're also going to hear that you were instrumental in stopping the war," Susanna pointed out. "Stop worrying so much. The kingdom has always loved you, and they still will."

Giselle barely heard her. She stared at the dagger Lucas had given her. It was resting on her vanity table and she admired the way the light hit the gems in the hilt. Lucas said he loved her. Her heart fluttered in her chest. She wondered if he was talking to her father at that very moment. Wondered what they were talking about.

The castle was already preparing for a huge celebration that would no doubt last at least a week. The king and princess were home, and the war with Icradia was over. Troops would finally be coming home to stay. The cooks were busy making so much food that you could smell it almost everywhere in the castle. Giselle and Susanna made their way down to the Grand Hall and Giselle felt practically suffocated in her elaborate green gown when she spotted Lucas at the table.

He was sitting near the head of the table, talking to King Gideon. The rest of the table was lined with knights and a few other nobles. Giselle knew the next night the Grand Hall would be packed with even more people, and there would be dancing and celebrating all over the castle grounds. The party wouldn't be just the nobility.

Susanna had to steer Giselle to her seat beside Vivienne, which placed her directly across from Lucas. He caught her eye and she felt her cheeks get hot. She could barely eat, eager for the banquet to be over so she could try and talk to Lucas.

Dominick got to her first as people were filing out of the Grand Hall. He was grinning as he bowed and kissed her hand.

"Forgive me, Your Majesty, but I haven't had the opportunity before now to tell you how impressed I was with how you handled Jarrett."

Giselle smiled warmly. "Thank you, Dominick."

"Word about you is already buzzing all through the capital and soon it will travel everywhere."

Giselle bit her lip, smile fading. "Are the people unhappy?"

"Unhappy? Quite the contrary, Princess. Bards are already writing songs about the fearsome Dragon Queen of Moria. The kingdom will know peace when your time to reign comes, and no kingdom would dare cross us with a dragon on the throne."

Giselle felt one of the knots of worry unwind inside of her. She huffed Dominick tightly. "Thank you, Sir Dominick. I couldn't have done it without all of you."

"Oh, I don't think we were as instrumental as you think. But it has been an honor serving you, Princess Giselle." He glanced at something over her shoulder. "Hello, Lucas."

"Dominick."

Giselle spun around to see Lucas and her nerves came back full force. Dominick slipped quietly away while Giselle collected her frazzled thoughts.

"Princess," Lucas said calmly, bowing slightly. Giselle scowled.

"Stop that," she hissed. She glanced around to make sure no one was watching them before tugging on his sleeve. He followed her to the empty ballroom and she carefully closed the door and waved a hand at the wall sconces, lighting them.

"You're getting really good at that," Lucas noted before Giselle gripped the front of his shirt and pulled him down so she could kiss him.

"I love you too," she said quickly. "What did my father talk to you about? Where is he sending you? What-"

"One question at a time," Lucas interrupted with a soft chuckle. He rested his hands on her shoulders. "Your father wanted to discuss the journey, and where I would be best suited now that the war is over and we need to begin the negotiations with Icradia and this transition."

Giselle's heart sank. "And where exactly does my father think you'd be best suited?"

"He thinks I should be directly involved with helping the kingdom transition." His face was completely unreadable and Giselle wanted to shake him.

"Lucas," she said in exasperation. He looked at her and was more serious than she could remember seeing him.

"Giselle. The king has requested that I stay here."

She blinked a few times, waiting to see if he was joking or not. He raised his eyebrows and smiled slightly.

"You're staying?" Giselle said, voice squeaking. "You're really staying here?"

Lucas nodded and laughed as she hugged him as tightly as she could with her voluminous skirt between them.

"Giselle, there's something else your father and I talked about." He shifted from one foot to the other, suddenly seeming nervous. "I told him...well, more accurately he guessed and I confirmed, how I feel about you. And he gave me his blessing. Very enthusiastically and emphatically. So I wanted to ask you, while we have a moment alone, if you would do me the honor of becoming my wife."

Giselle felt lightheaded and her knees almost gave out. Lucas and her giant skirt kept her upright.

"Your extended silence isn't very reassuring," Lucas said, studying her face. Giselle kissed him again, with so much gusto that she nearly knocked him down. She didn't even notice the door had opened until they heard Gideon chuckle.

"I assume the answer was yes, then?" he asked, amused.

Gideon made the announcement of their engagement during the celebration the next night and Giselle saw Susanna nudge Dominick and tell him to pay up. Giselle wrinkled her nose at both of them and Susanna grinned. Giselle felt almost shy as people flocked around them to offer congratulations. Cati tried to hug them both at once, tears in her eyes.

"I'm so happy, I love you both," she said, kissing Lucas's cheek. Dominick, Claude and Monte pushed through the crowd next, clapping Lucas on the shoulder.

"The great Lucas Winthrope, settling down," Dominick chuckled. "I wish the best of luck to you."

"Ah, there's no need to wish us luck, Dominick," Lucas replied. "Giselle has something she'd like to ask of all of you."

"I told my father I wanted to choose the members of my Royal Guard. And I want the three of you." Giselle smiled at their expressions. "I found you all to be exceedingly annoying when this all started, but now I can't imagine not having all of you idiots around. I want you to remain here and be our personal guard."

"Not that you really need one," Monte said jokingly. "If someone attacks you you could always roast them alive. Or at least singe off their eyebrows."

"But we will gladly serve as your Royal Guard," Dominick added, elbowing him. "It would be an honor."

The three of them bowed in unison, and Lucas bowed too, planting a soft kiss on the back of Giselle's hand. He winked as he straightened.

"Sir Claude, I think Susanna is looking for a dance partner," Giselle said, smiling as he blushed. As night began to fall Giselle went up onto a balcony overlooking the courtyard where nobles and commoners alike were dancing and drinking wine. Once it grew dark enough, Giselle raised her hands, letting flames dance between her fingers. Lanterns strewn about the courtyard and gardens lit one by one, to delighted applause.

Children clutched tiny toy dragons and the castle seamstresses had made banners sporting dragons to hang alongside the ones with the Stanhope family crest. Lucas was waiting for her when she came down, pulling her into a dance as fireworks exploded overhead. He spun her in a dizzying circle before pulling her closer and kissing her.

"I love you," he murmured. "Even if you are a brat."

"I love you, too. Even if you are an idiot."

Lucas grinned, spinning her around again. "Long live the Dragon Queen."
♠ ♠ ♠
And that's a wrap! Shoutout to Cupcake Violence for being a devoted reader of all our adventures.