Status: Complete.

Scribbles of a Broken Heart

More Time at the Mall

”Who do your parents think you’re really out with?”

“Jane Smith.”

“I don’t think anyone in our school is named Jane.”

“I know,” he grinned.

My dad was working a weekend shift so I had the chance to go out with Garrett. Mom and I never go out when Dad is working so it isn’t as hard to get permission to get out of the house. As long as I have someone to pick me up and take me home before five, all is good.

“Where did Jade and Allison go?” Garrett wondered.

“They went to Hollister. And they said that they didn’t want to intrude on our date.”

Hollister was Jade’s absolute favorite store. I was sure that by the time we got home she would have a new shirt or sweatshirt with that bird on it. I rolled my eyes, I could barely be in
that store for five minutes.

“Where do you want to go?”

“Hmmm,” I thought. The mall wasn’t my favorite place for a date, but there were no good movies playing. Plus, I almost spent all of my money on Garrett’s birthday present. “It doesn’t matter to me. I’m broke. Where do you wanna go?”

“Come on, I’ll buy you something.”

“No,” I refused. “Buy something for you.”

He went into American Eagle and I followed him to the boys’ clothing. I started flipping through the shirts.

“Are you looking for anything in particular?” I asked him.

“Um, something red or green I guess; for Christmas.”

“Why not something red and green.”

He shrugged, “I don’t like those two colors together.”

I shook my head, ‘Only Garrett.’

I didn’t like any of the shirts I saw. They were either too plain or overly decorated. I moved on to another rack that was at the back of the store. I looked at the girls’ totes on the way, not liking the patterns. I began to shift through the Clearance rack when my phone started to ring.

This is not the end
This is just the beginning
And don't you know everything we want
Is within our reach at fingertips length
We fought nonstop to make these nights our own
Now no one can take them away-


I struggled taking it out of the bottom of my tote bag. I had too many things and there were no compartments. As soon as I located it I flipped it open, hoping to avoid a missed call.

“Hello?”

“Where are you?”

I ignored the question. “Garrett?”

“Yeah.”

I peeked over the stand and saw him searching the room.

“I’m in the back.”

“I can’t see you. Are you hiding behind a clothes rack or something?”

“Are you making fun of my height, mister?”

“No,” he said quickly, “just looking for my girlfriend.”

I hated being teased about my stature—and Garrett knew that too. I stood just above five feet tall and was mocked constantly at school.

“Your left, back corner.”

I hung up and threw the phone back in my bag. I waited for Garrett to walk back here. The music in the store changed to Ocean Avenue by Yellowcard.

“There you are,” Garrett exclaimed once he caught sight of me. He had three shirts in his hand. “I couldn’t see you anywhere.”

I shrugged, “Find something you like?” I inclined my chin to the clothes he was holding.

“Sorta. I wanted your opinion first.”

He took one hanger from the group and turned the front towards me.

“It’s purple.”

“So?”

“It’s purple.”

“Do you have something against purple?”

I shook my head, “No. But you said something red or green. That’s purple.”

“Alright, alright,” he put the shirt on one of the tables and showed me the next one. “What about this one?”

“It’s mostly black.”

“There’s a little green right…” Garrett looked at the front before pointing out a little blob of olive, “there.”

“Put it back. And the other one too; the only red on there is the small eagle on the breast pocket.”

He pouted but laid them on top of the purple one. “Those were the only ones I liked.”

“Let’s go to another store,” I suggested. “Isn’t most of the stuff in here too informal
anyways?”

“Nah, my mom doesn’t care as long as it’s Christmas colors.”

“Odd.”

I took his hand and walked around the various tables, racks, and shelves to get back into the mall walkway.

Garrett let go of my hand and instead draped an arm around my shoulders. I wrapped an arm around his waist and leaned into him.

I sighed, content. I knew that I was starting to fall for him.
♠ ♠ ♠
i've lost some interest writing this. i'm more into my new story (chapter one is finished btw i just don't know if i'll post it). i'm uncomfortable with all the dialogue i use but i can't find a way to fix it.
the next chapter will hopefully be out soon, i've been looking forward to wrting it.
here's a pre-apology if i don't update even less often. i'm stressed out with this big packet of work and school is about to start up.

oo, and constance's ringtone is until we get caught by hit the lights.