Status: Complete.

Scribbles of a Broken Heart

The First Day of School

I looked over to Garrett when we pulled up to St. Joseph’s High School and noticed that he was tense.

“Don’t worry, the people won’t bite,” I comforted jokingly.

“Who said I was nervous?” He tried to cover any signs or worry.

“Yeah, whatever.”

I got off of the bus towards a group of my friends, leaving him by himself. I mentally scoffed; he’ll be the most popular boy in school by the end of the day.


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

School was as great as it could possibly get. I didn’t talk to Garrett at any part of the day. We only had two classes together: Honors Literature and Honors Biology (even though we were taking the same courses) and we sat at opposite ends of the room. The rest of the time he was pretty much surrounded. The guy’s only been here for a day and he’s made more friends than I had in a week.

“So, what’s the verdict?” I looked at him as he plopped down next to me on the bus ride home.

“Eleven numbers, two dates, and a potential girlfriend.”

“I guess I was lying when I said people don’t bite.”

He laughed at my joke.

“Do you want to hang out today?” he then asked.

“Man, I don’t even know you.”

“Well, generally that’s why people hang out.”

“Um…I don’t know. I’d have to check with my parents.” I wondered what he had in mind.

“You’d have to check with your parents for this kind of thing?”

“You have no idea how tight of a leash my parents have me on,” I admitted sadly. “They
hardly ever let me go anywhere.”

“Why don’t you just hang at my house ‘til your parents get home?”

“Umm…they aren’t home until five. So we can hang for about two hours.”

“Cool. And you’re parents wouldn’t even know if you’re back before they get home.” He deducted, “And did I mention that my little sister loves you?”

Why did he want to hang out with me? We barely know each other and I’m sure that there are other girls at school that he finds more appealing. I guess I’m getting ahead of myself though. This is probably just a friend thing anyways.


“Did you have hopes that this little get-together was something more?”

“I guess I probably did; I always over think and analyze things.”

“And did it turn into something more?”

A smile set across my face

I found the house to be empty besides the two of us. We went in to their bright kitchen; I sat down at the nook while he got us something to drink.

“Soda?” he questioned, upper body digging through the refrigerator.

“Yes please!”

He took out a grape Fanta and slid it down the counter to where I was sitting.

“I don’t like grape.”

He let out a huff and next slid an orange flavored one my way. I took the soda and popped the tab opened halfway.

“Aren’t you going to open it?” He slammed the fridge’s door and turned to face me, opening his grape drink and taking a quick swig.

“It is open,” I said, taking the said drink and slightly squeezing the sides so that the cool orange flavor could slip into my mouth.

“You’re strange…”

“Oh, you don’t know the half of it.”

He turned and got a bag of Doritos and placed on the counter for both of us to munch on.

“So, who did you meet?”

“Do you mean ‘whose numbers did you grab?’”

No,” I emphasized,” I meant exactly what I said.”

“Well, I’ll tell you whose numbers I got anyways.”

I sighed and let my eyes roll, “Fine, I’ll tell you whether they’re whores or not.”

“Christine.”

“Slut.”

“Georgia.”

“Skank.”

“Stephanie.”

“Which one?”

“Um…brown hair-“

“Whore.”

“Leslie.”

“Bitch.”

“Anna.”

“Bigger bitch”

He paused, taking more slips of paper from his jean pocket.

“Paula.”

“Hmm…I don’t know her.”

“Joanne.”

“Oh, she’s pretty nice.”

“I think I lost the other ones.”

“You’ll get them again tomorrow...Why didn’t you put them in your cell?” I asked as I

marveled at the impracticality of paper notes.

“Because they passed them to me in class.”

“Oh.”

“Wait, so you’re saying that every girl here is either a slut or a bitch except this Joanne girl.”

“Pretty much. Besides that Paula, I don’t know who that is.”


“That was pretty mean of you to say all those things about those girls. Especially since you barely knew them back then.”

“Truth hurts.”

“Are you ashamed now that you were so judgmental then?”

“Oh, so shameful Ms. Templeton,” I faked. “But don’t worry, I got over it.”

“Well, I’m going to call all of them anyways,” He said stubbornly making his way up the stairs.

“Alright, just remember to use protection with the first five,” I said following.
♠ ♠ ♠
I changed the rating to pg-13 because of this chapter.