Status: Ongoing

Nina

I met you when I was a teen.

“Nina, I’m sorry – I’ve got to follow this.” His dark brown eyes welled as his fingers gently held onto her trembling hands. ‘How could he leave me?’ She thought. We were perfect for each other, we were meant to grow old together. As she stood, paralysed, their whirlwind romance flashed before her.

Not a word had been spoken in six minutes – he was counting. Slowly, he backed away from her, the girl who made him, him. Leaving a kiss on her tear stained cheek, he closed the door softly behind him. Careful not to look back at her with fear that he would never follow his dream.


Staring at her reflection, Nina sighed. “Another day, another dollar”, she proclaimed, shutting off the light in the bathroom of her studio apartment in Mayfair, London. Last night’s dream was the same as the night before, his body had turned to a shadow in her memory but the pain she could still feel in her stomach.

She had been doing well since he left, finally gaining the promotion she so desperately wanted at work – the only thing that tied her to city. In the four years, she had moved to London from Barcelona where she had been studying a master’s degree in business. That’s where she had met him, she can remember the night like it had been yesterday.

She could hardly breath in her figure hugging Gucci dress, although the reflection in the mirror had been pleasantly surprising. Her long blonde hair cascading over her shoulders and down her back, her bright blue eyes were highlighted and red lips matched her handbag. It wasn’t the norm for her to be so dressed up but tonight was different. Her best friend, Mari, had called her earlier in the day.

“Oh Nina! I have wonderful news. My boss has been invited to the Balon D’or celebrations in the city tonight.” Nina grunted and continued picking at her nail polish.

Mari sighed, “Amiga mia! You better find something spectacular to wear if you want to impress them!” She could sense the smugness through the phone which she had nearly dropped with surprise.

“You mean, I can go with you?”

Mari laughed, “Of course. Te quiero. I must go, I will pick you up at seven. Besitos.”

18:58. Picking up her gold clutch bag, Nina locked her first-floor apartment door and went to meet Mari outside in the taxi. Mari couldn’t believe how beautiful her best friend looked, “You look amazing!” The friends exchanged excited smiles as the taxi set off to the Balon D’or event in downtown Barcelona.

Fabio Cannavero had not long before accepted his award in front of the large crowd gathered around. The evening had been a complete blur for Nina until now, as famous faces engaged in happy conversation around her. Mari had been discussing work with friends so Nina took the opportunity to sneak to the bar.

“Apple Martini, por favor” The bartender nodded. Taking a seat, Nina pulled her phone from her
clutch. 22:59. Was it that late already? Putting her phone back in its place and sipping on her drink Nina looked up and across the bar. That’s when she saw him. Those brown eyes.


A small frog stress ball landed in front of her startling her from her daydream. She hadn’t noticed how long she had been phased out for but her computer had gone to lock screen. She just hoped her boss hadn’t noticed her slacking. Her phone vibrated in her bag.

R U still coming to the pub after work? Mari.

Nina quickly replied and sighed. Today had been the longest day at work, the promotion had meant more hours and more admin. Not quite what she had imagined. She had admired how colleagues in this department had frequently taken long lunches and short days, but unfortunately, this had not been the case for Nina. The drink after work had been much anticipated and needed, so much so Nina was clock watching for the rest of the day.

Mari’s bright orange hair bounced around her shoulders in tight curls. Nina had always wondered how they were so close considering how different they were. Nina loved how free-spirited Mari was and how she could count of her friend to be there whenever she needed her. A day like that day. Mari had been at her door within the hour, ice cream and a shoulder to cry on.

“Hey guys!” Nina threw her bag into the booth and took a quick sip of her cocktail which had been pre-ordered in the taxi ride from work with a swift text to Mari. Throwing off her coat and scarf, Nina could finally relax. The bar was busier than normal for a Wednesday. Football, she thought. A sea of Chelsea blue was gathered around the bar and the hum of Sky Sports News in the background, on a loop of transfer news.

“… only rumoured speculation at the moment. Meanwhile, we can go live to Chris Chapman who is stood outside Stamford Bridge with some exciting transfer news.” The bubbly presenter smiled down the camera as it panned to a balding man in an oversized trench coat. The small crowd cheered around him, as did the gang of Chelsea supporters in the bar asking for the volume up.

Nina tried her best to tune out, focussing in and out of Mari’s conversation with her boyfriend, Sam, who worked with her at the Bank of New York, Sales Department. She thought he was quite handsome, blonde short hair, baby blue eyes and towered over her small friend’s frame.

Finishing her drink quicker than expected she made her way over to the beer covered bar, “A Cuba Libre, please!” She had to shout over the cheers around her. She wished she hadn’t looked up to the television screen. The glass in her hand dropped to the floor and the colour drained from her face – as much as she had tried to avoid it, those brown eyes stared at her from behind the screen.

“Chelsea have confirmed the signing of Liverpool forward, Fernando Torres,” Shit, Fernando was coming to London. Fernando was coming to Chelsea. Nina lived not far from Chelsea. And there it was, that numb feeling swept over her body as she couldn’t tear her eyes from the screen and those dark brown eyes.
♠ ♠ ♠
It has been a long time since I last wrote a story. Let me know what you think in the comments and please subscribe. This will be a weekly updated story.

Thank you for reading!