Sequel: Afterglow
Status: Complete! Sequel coming soon.

Miles Away

Twenty one.

The first week of the semester wasn’t the worst.

Sure, it was painful to live with Alex and be literally ignored by him constantly, but it could have been a lot worse. There could have been switching to an entirely different room and having to move all over again, complaints to an RA or even fights, but there was nothing. Just… silence. With a side of loud angry music that could be heard through the walls.

“Hey, Alex,” John tried for what seemed to be the hundredth time, “How were your classes today? You had that one space science class, right?” He was sat on one of the chairs in their dining area, the blonde boy with his back to John seeing as he making some coffee. He always made John a cup too for some reason, pissed or not.

He said nothing as he sat John’s black coffee in front of him, and then quickly turned and went back to his room. He slammed it and John could hear the extra lock click into place.

Great.

It had been going just like this for a week and until now it had barely gotten to John. Now, for some reason, a soft sob is leaving his lips and before he knew it he couldn’t stop the tears from flowing freely. He shoves the coffee to the other side of the table so that he could rest his head on it, not even trying to stop this. He always heard that he should feel things and now he’s letting himself do just that.

There’s no shuffling from Alex’s room like there normally is, just a pause. It sounds like footsteps go to the door and then retreat, and after a couple seconds the music starts. It’s playing softer than normal, and John can just barely make out that it’s December by Neck Deep.

Talk about adding salt to the wound.

He needs to get out of there.

That’s just what he does, standing up so fast he thinks he gives himself whiplash, or whatever they called it these days. He basically runs out the door, not caring that it slams shut behind him. Maybe that would finally get the blonde’s attention. Maybe it would just be ignored. Again.

Who’s to say.

----------------

When John comes back, it’s silent in their dorm. There isn’t any music, and when he stands completely still he doesn’t hear shuffling, or typing, or anything at all. It’s completely dark, not even the light above the sink is on like it usually is. Frowning, the green eyed boy makes his way to the light switch and turns it on.

The first thing he notices is that his door is cracked open, which is strange. He doesn’t remember leaving it like that. He decides to investigate, taking his shoes off and placing them next to the door before pushing it open the rest of the way.

Nothing is out of place, but his blanket is messed up. It’s as if it was slept on recently.

----------------

“Alex?”

John doesn’t expect any type of reaction from the boy in question, but he needs to ask about what he found earlier. He has his suspicions, but maybe he was just imagining things. Or wishing for things.

He clears his throat, before continuing, “Was someone sleeping in my bed? Or in my room?”

“Now, where would you get that idea?”

John’s eyes go wide and his jaw drops when he hears Alex’s voice, surprisingly calm. He’s not sure what to say in response that, and sure as hell not sure if he could actually respond even though he wants to.

Alex glances at John as he makes his sandwich, barely paying attention as he smooths out the peanut butter over the bread. He doesn’t roll his eyes, even though he wants to, instead opting to say just as smoothly and in a voice so smooth anybody would be to tell he’s pissed, “Maybe you should shut your mouth before you catch a fly.”

John’s mouth is shut in milliseconds, and he almost instantly decides that he’s done playing this game. He goes right back to reading his book and miraculously doesn't look at Alex or talk to him again for the rest of the night.

----------------

“You’re what?”

“I said that I’m breaking up with you.”

John rolls his eyes as he lets the news out, sitting down on the chair in front of his desk. Tim is stood in the doorway with his arms crossed and a shocked look on his face.

“I mean, it’s hardly breaking up. We’re not actually dating, remember? Plus, Tim, I’m too stressed. I don’t need to worry about sex and my friend’s brother constantly expecting it from me when some days I can’t even get out of bed,” John continues, or rants, really. He barely notices that the boy he really loves is emerging from his room. He’s going to the space science class he hates so much. He seems to stop, though, and he’s listening in on this. It’s obvious.

“So we’re breaking up because you can’t get your depressed ass out of your fuckin’ bed. Nice, John,” Tim spits out, throwing a glare directly at John. It’s the kind of glare that makes John realize why he didn’t really want to be with Tim in the first place. He was tired of that shit.

The next reminder comes when Tim’s fist meets the wall next to the door, a loud bang ringing through the entire room. John jumps in his seat, and before he can stand or get a word out a very pissed off Alex pops up behind Tim. He reaches up and grabs the older man’s shoulder, pulling him backward.

“Get out, jackass,” Alex basically growls, and he’s angrier than he ever was with John at any time. “This is my fucking dorm too, and I’m not here for angry manchildren taking over the space.”

One more glare is thrown at John, and a, “You’ll regret this.”

John really wouldn’t.

Once the door is slammed shut - that poor door - Alex is left standing in front of John. Poor, slightly terrified John, his eyes wide and filled with tears threatening to spill.

“Look, I only did that because… because I don’t want to pay for damages. Okay?”

Alex wouldn’t be the one paying for the damages, but John doesn’t say that. He simply nods, wiping his eyes. After one more sigh, and a one-over to make sure that nothing was wrong with the wall (and a couple minutes just to see that the manchild didn’t return) Alex is on his way.

John almost misses his last words, which come out kinder.

“We’ll talk later, okay?”
♠ ♠ ♠
This is messy and jumps all over the place, but we're getting somewhere. And after this story will be a nice lil Callakarth college AU with (sometimes) happy boys.