Sequel: Afterglow
Status: Complete! Sequel coming soon.

Miles Away

Seven.

The next Monday, things were a little different. It all started at lunch, really, as Alex sat down at his normal table in the corner of the cafeteria with his closest friends. Immediately, he was greeted with a large grin from Jack. However, it wasn’t exactly a normal grin. It was a mischievous grin, at best.

“So who’s this John guy you’ve been talking to so much, ‘Lex?” Jack said with a little laugh, and it takes Alex by surprise. It also makes him blush, cheeks burning with embarrassment as he ducks his head.

“He’s-- Um… uhh--”

“It’s clear he doesn’t want to talk about it, Jack. Just let it go,” Rian cuts in. Bless him. Alex knew the guy was a saint sometimes, and now he was just proving this. Zack however, had nothing to say, as he just stared at Jack. Well, at least that was normal for him, his gaze never exactly leaving the awkward, lanky teenage boy.

Alex knew they had something going on, so he shoots back, “What’s up with you and Zack, huh?”

He looks up at the dark haired boy across from him, eyes narrowing for a moment before he begins picking at his lunch. He wondered how they even knew about John anyway, but then again, he always messaged John while he was around them. He had his number now, after all, and so they could talk even more than they had been already. They had exchanged them when John had to go somewhere, since he was almost out of data and all, and he would have never heard the end of it if he went over.

“We’re-- Well, that’s not the point! I asked you first!” Jack almost yells, pointing a finger at Alex. He did have a point, but Alex had even more of one when Zack simply put a hand on Jack’s shoulder; and this appears to calm the latter down. He knew it.

“John and I are only friends. We Skype call a lot--” He tries to speak again, but once more, he’s cut off, and with nonsense from his friends.

“Did you two fuck?” The skunk-haired boy accuses next, crossing his arms over his chest. He was always the most dramatic one out of the four of them, and that was showing.

“What? No, of course not, he’s not even from here, he’s in Arizona!”

“So you’ve had phone sex,” Is the next thing that Jack says, nodding as if he knew these facts and they were confirmed. Which, they weren’t, because Alex and John were just friends. Totally just good friends, which no other feelings behind it.

“Do they have to be fucking?” Zack’s quiet voice cuts in, and Alex notices his hand gently rubbing at Jack’s shoulder.

Everyone’s eyes go wide at his words, but of course Jack answers with a quiet “yes.” Go figure.

“I don’t even know if he likes me like that, guys. He’s… not a guy that talks about his feelings a lot.”

“What, he doesn’t like a charming and cute guy like you?” Jack says, scruffing Alex’s already messy hair. He hated when he did that, and Jack was well aware of this fact. He looked so smug.

“Jack, fuck, cut it out! I’m trying to talk!” Alex says maybe too loudly, reaching up to push the other boy’s slender fingers away, and then his hands completely. He messed his hair up to perfection.

“Fine, fine, don’t say I didn’t try and cheer you up.”

“Anyways,” Rian sighs, shaking his head at the scene playing out in front of him, “What has he said to you? Has he complimented you at all?”

“I mean...kinda? he stares at me a lot when we’re Skyping, but that’s normal…”

“If he’s not one to talk about feelings and he’s staring at you so much, I’d say that’s not exactly normal behavior,” Rian isn’t usually one to get into other people’s relationships like this, so Alex wasn’t sure why he’s so set on it this time, but he won’t question it. Not yet, at least.

“Wait… is this the same John you’ve been obsessing over on twitter?” Zack narrows his eyes once he connects the two things, before he’s shaking his head.

Alex blushes hard, and this time he can’t help but avoid everyone’s gaze. “...Maybe.”

“What the fuck!” Jack yells, loud enough to where the entire cafeteria could probably hear it. A few people even turn to look at them. “You got with the poet?”

“I wouldn’t exactly say he’s a poet,” He tries to defend himself, but he knows that it isn’t working. John is pretty much a poet, and he’s also pretty popular, and so he knows that the other three people at the table are judging him. Zack shook his head, Rian just sort of groaned, and Jack... well, he was overdramatic as usual, all of the pride of Alex “finally getting laid” or “finding someone” seemingly gone.

“And we’re not together!” Alex then says louder, finally realizing what Jack was implying. They were definitely not together, and they never would be, “And that’s that!

“Is he even gay?” Zack asks quietly, and that’s about when Alex groans and gets up. He doesn’t want to deal with this, and without another word, he grabs his bag and throws it over his shoulder. He storms out of the cafeteria, ignoring the curious eyes that are on him and his friends. His annoying, asshole friends.

He’s glad that his lunch is almost over, but for now he hides out in the bathroom down the hall, pulling his phone out of his pocket so he could text John. For some reason, the only thing that he could think about possibly calming him down him. Just him. He’s relieved when he gets an immediate answer.

my friends just questioned me about you yikes!

Why’s that? Did I do something?

no they just thought we were dating or something??

Wait, really? How did they even know we were talking?

that’s a good ass question. pretty sure they just looked over my shoulder.
considering i’m always texting you, dude


Seriously?

yeah, seriously. it was kinda weird, honestly.

What did you tell them?

well.
i told them we weren’t together of course??


That’s good.
I have to go to my next class, but I hope your friends don’t annoy you again.
Good luck.

lmao thanks.
you too! can’t wait to talk to you later.


Alex is relieved that the bell rings to signal that he has to go to his next class too right then, even though he would much rather go home and talk to John. That’s what he was looking forward to at least, as he trudged along to his next and second to last class, backpack falling to the floor as he took his seat.He was glad that none of his friends was in this class for once, not wanting to hear them bother him about a boyfriend or fuckbuddy that he didn’t even have. Especially in public, of all places.

As class started up, he buried his head in his arms, closing his brown eyes. He blocked out the teacher’s talking and his peer’s gossip, letting his mind wander to John. He wondered what the other boy was doing right now and how he felt. Was he thinking about Alex too? He sure hoped so.

Without realising it, Alex ends up dozing off, still wondering about the other boy.