Sequel: Afterglow
Status: Complete! Sequel coming soon.

Miles Away

Six.

It's only a couple of days later when John gets his own acceptance letter in the mail, and of course, it was from his own first choice of colleges. Arizona State. Just like Alex's. It was beyond exciting, and he was really eager to tell Alex; he liked the other boy. At the same time, he both wanted to surprise him and didn't want to lose him. He was scared that he'd freak Alex out and they wouldn't be friends anymore for some reason, and so, the letter was kept a secret, not even being brought up in one of their many Skype calls.

John wasn't quite sure what it was or why it was happening, but he was starting to have a soft spot for the over excited brunette. He was just… something else.

He didn't know how to explain it, but every time that the two of them called, something changed and he felt nothing but happiness. He never wanted to hang up, even if they had the worst time difference.

Currently, it was about two in the morning in Alex’s time zone - which John had come to learn was Baltimore, Maryland, and it was merely eleven for John, in Tempe. Which the other boy had also found out in one of their many talks.

The older brunette was getting tired, and John could tell by the way that his voice is getting quieter and his sentences are trailing off, but for some reason he refused to get off of the phone and just go to bed. He was lucky that it was a Friday night and not the weekday, because then he’d be getting lectured right now. That wasn’t as much fun.

After some persuasion, though, he had agreed to at least get in bed, his computer next to him on his bed while he was tucked in. John had to admit, he looked pretty adorable. Adorable and cuddly, among many other things in the back of his mind.

To make him feel better, John even got into bed too, even if he wasn’t exactly tired. He tucked himself in, eyes staying on Alex on the other side. His eyes were falling shut every few seconds and then opening back up, his hair more messed up than it usually was. It was a mess, but the cutest mess of hair John had seen. He was getting ready to close his own eyes to try and get Alex to sleep when his favourite soft voice cut through the quiet of the night, seemingly raspy from exhaustion.

“John?” He starts, voice quieter than usual - Alex was a pretty loud guy sometimes. “Your eyes are like… they’re jus’ really pretty.”

Admittedly, this caused John’s heart to beat just a little bit faster, his cheeks dusting pink. He didn’t know what to say, so he says nothing, just watches the boy across the country through his screen. He wasn’t expecting the compliment, nor was he expecting the one that follows it.

“You’re pretty in general, JJ.”

This boy did things to John. That much was certain. His cheeks turn a darker pink as he shakes his head, but otherwise stays quiet, trying not to distract Alex from falling asleep. It works too, because only moments later the messy haired brunette was asleep, face buried against his pillow. It warmed John’s heart, and all he wanted was to be there with Alex. He wanted to tuck him in and kiss his head, and he knew this wasn’t normal to think about in a friendship, but he couldn’t help himself.

Alex was special.

John lets his own eyes fall shut, somehow getting tired just from watching Alex sleep, and before he knows it he’s joining Alex in slumber. All that’s on his mind is how it would feel to have Alex in his arms, right beside him.