Status: Please comment and let me know what you think.

Being Seventeen

Chapter Five

“Nice catch,” I approved. “Thanks,” he said, smiling. We went outside, and I locked the door. He opened the passenger door for me, and I smiled. “Thanks,” I said. “You’re very welcome,” he said. Michael got in, started the car, and headed back toward the city. “Where do you want to go,” he asked. “The library,” I said. It didn’t take very long to get there. While he was driving, he turned the radio on. It was Klove, 89.7. “This is my favorite station,” I exclaimed. “Really,” he asked, surprised. I nodded. “Mine, too,” Michael said, smiling. WHen we got to the library, I had assumed that he would stay in the car while I asked about a job.
I was wrong. He followed me up the steps, then held the door open. The library was huge and gorgeous. It was two stories tall. The outside was made of red brick. Right inside the door, there was a lobby area. The lobby had shelves and tables full of used books for sale. It was divided into sections; action, comedy, horror, supernatural, and romance. Inside the lobby door (entering the library) was a little movie room. Almost every book in the library was also a movie. It was categorized the same as the lobby.
There was a big circular desk with computers that the public could use, about fifteen feet from the entrance. Across from that was the checkout desk. It had five stations. At the back of both the 1st and 2nd floors were the reading rooms. They had bean bag chairs, couches, and recliners, so customers could read in their most comfortable spots. The 1st floor housed kid and teenager books. The 2nd floor was more young adult and adult books. Everything you didn’t want little kids reading.
I walked to the checkout desk with Michael in tow. “Hey,” I said to Rose. I came here often enough to know all of them by name. “Hey,” she replied. “How can I help you.” “I was wondering if you had any job openings,” I said. “You’re actually just in time.” “A girl quit on us last week,” she explained at my puzzled expression. “Really,” I asked. Rose nodded. “Yep, no reason at all.” She dug around under the desk for a moment, then handed me an application. “Thanks,” I said, surprised by my luck. “No problem,” she replied.
I walked to the circular desk and took a seat. “You can wait outside, if you want,” I told Michael. “Nah, I’m okay. Besides the company wouldn’t be as good,” he said, smiling that heartbreaking smile of his. I got the application filled out quickly. Rose looked over it briefly, making sure everything was filled out correctly. She looked up and said, “We should call you by tomorrow.” “Thanks,” I said. I looked at the time. It was only 4:30. “Well,” I looked at Michael, “What do you want to do.” Early dinner,” Michael suggested.
We walked outside and stood by his car. “There’s a hamburger joint across town. It’s a little out of town, but the food’s great.” “I thought I knew all the burger places,” Michael replied. On that note, we got in the car, and I directed him out of town. The Shack was a little place close to the beach. It had a weathered look without looking run-down. The inside was like an 80’s cafe. The floor was black and white checkered, the walls a soothing blue. The checkout and kitchen were in the middle section. Half the Shack was tables; the other booths, and there was a real jukebox. There was a bar running down the middle for those that didn’t want tables or booths.
In an attempt to make it more modern, there were tables outside, for those that liked to people-watch. “How’d you find this place,” Michael asked. A good question since it was in the middle of nowhere. “My dad used to take me here,” I said. I lost myself after that....I was in a different time. It was a few months before dad died, and we were at the Shack, as usual. My dad was arranging and rearranging the salt and sugar packets on the table. It didn’t take a genius to figure out he was nervous. Roxie came over on her break and slid onto the seat next to me. “Honey, I need to tell you something,” Dad said staring at me…..
Michael shook me a little. “Where’d you go, hun,” he asked, worried. “Just thinking about….dad,” I said. He grabbed my hand. “I’m sorry,” he said. I nodded, reassured by the weight of his hand in mine. “It’s okay, really,” I assured him while getting out of the car. He opened the Shack’s door, motioning for me to enter first. “Hey, baby girl’s back,” Roxie, the manager, announced.
Roxie is this really sweet black woman that promised my dad she would look after me. She was average height with startling green eyes. Chad, the cook, came out from the kitchen and wrapped me in a bear hug. “Long time no see, sis,” he said, tousling my hair. I faked a punch at him, and he blocked it. “Chad, bach in the kitchen,” Roxie ordered. “Yes, ma’am,” Chad said, giving me a fist-bump before he left. Roxie led us to a booth in the back corner.
Michael slid onto the bench next to me. “Sis,” he asked curiously. “This is like my adopted family,” I said smiling. Michael kept looking at me. “What,:” I asked. “You have a beautiful smile,” he said, gently brushing my face with his fingertips. A minute or two later, Kiersten, a waitress, came to take our order. Michael looked at me, and I took that as my cue to order for us. “Two house burgers with home fries,” I said. “Drinks,” Kiersten asked. “Mello Yello,” I requested. “Two,” Michael said.
Kiersten handed our order slip to Chad through the window. Roxie personally delivered our food when it was finished. “Enjoy,” Roxie said with an affectionate pat on my head. Michael took one bite of his hamburger and groaned. “Oh, man, this is good,” he said. “Told you,” I said, chowing down on my food. “Tell me more about you,” he said. “What do you want to know,” I asked. “What do you want to be,” he asked. “A writer,” I said without hesitation. “Cool,” Michael said.
“What’s your favorite color,” he asked. “Purple,” I said. “Mine’s green.” The questions were endless; how many siblings I had, pets, what animals I liked, everything. By the time we noticed the check on the table, it was 6:42. “Shit,” Michael muttered. I laughed. “Come on,” I said standing up. I got out my wallet, and Michael slid it back into my purse. “I’m paying,” he said. His tone left no room for arguments. Once he paid, we headed back to the city. “Will your boss be okay with you being late,” I asked as Michael sped toward the city limits.
“I won’t be that late,” he said. He pulled up outside my house at 7:30. “Not that late, huh,” I joked. “Haha,” he said. I smiled and kissed him on the cheek. He smiled and started calling his boss as he drove away. I took my phone out and checked my messages. Christie was getting more aggravated by the minute. *Where are you? We’re supposed to hang out* *Tell me everything.*, and the most recent one, *I swear if you don’t talk to me, I will disown you!*
I texted back, *Calm down. I was with Michael. I forgot to turn my phone up.* I went up to my room while I waited for a reply. Ping! *About damn time. What happened?* *We found me a job, went to dinner, and he took me home.* *Dinner!!!* I laughed. *Yes, we went to a burger place.* I’d never told Christie about the Shack. It was….special.