Status: work-in-progress

The Family Business

Five

Felicity’s POV

Later that night in the hotel, Dean and Sam decided to try and get some research done… and were failing miserably. “There’s gotta be something in these books.” Sam kept mumbling as they continued to flip through books and scrolling through different websites. Sam finally gave up when Dean fell asleep on the bed, a book open in his lap. “Hey guys… uh I’m headed out. If he wakes up tell him I went out for a burger or something.”

“Where are you going?” Serenity looked up from the book she was reading.

“Just… out.” He shrugged and started out the door.

“I’m going with you, then.” She shrugged and followed him.

“Serenity, it could be dangerous. Just stay here.”

“Nope. I’m tired of sitting in this room. I’m going with you and you can’t stop me.” Serenity put her hand on her hip almost daring him to tell her no. Sam sighed and nodded his head for her to follow him. “See ya later Cici.” I rolled my eyes as they walked out and looked back down at the email I was writing. Thankfully Sam let me borrow his laptop so I could email my professors to let them know I wouldn’t be in class for a while, so I made up some bullshit about a family emergency. I let out a sigh as I shut the laptop after hitting send.

Not long after I heard Dean’s obnoxiously loud car pull out of the parking lot, the electronics in the room started turning on themselves like they had at Pam’s house. “Uh… Dean?” I looked over at him from the couch and saw him still sound asleep. “Dean?”

“Huh?” Dean blinked awake and looked around the room before he registered what was going on. “Crap.” He jumped out of the bed and grabbed his shotgun. “Stay there. I’ll try and check out what’s going on.”

“Don’t have to tell me twice.” I really wasn’t in the mood to have my eyes burned out. Not today. Or ever, for that matter. The radio began to tune itself and I pulled my legs up to my chest as Dean slowly walked towards the door. A high-pitched sound rang through the hotel room. “What the hell is that?” I covered my ears as it got louder and more painful to listen to.

“I don’t know… God what—“ Dean was cut off by the windows busting open as he dropped to the ground, covering his ears.

“Dean!” I tackled him out of the way as the mirror on the ceiling cracked and came crashing down beside us. Glass covered the floors and continued to fall on and around us.

“Dean! Felicity!” I looked up as Bobby barged into the hotel room. He ushered us out of the room and to his car. “How are you feeling?” He asked as he drove away from the hotel.

“Aside from the constant ringing in my ears, I’m fan-freaking-tastic.” I groaned as I tried for the millionth time to clean my ears with my pinky. Dean nodded in agreement as he pulled out his cell phone and dialed a number. “What are you and Serenity doing?... In my car?” I could hear Sam’s muffled response on the other end of the phone. “Right, well uh… Bobby’s back. The three of us are going to grab a beer.” Bobby gave him a look of disapproval and Dean held his finger up. “Done. Yeah, I’ll catch you later.” Dean flipped his phone shut.

“Why didn’t you tell him what happened?” I asked and leaned forward to be more a part of the conversation.

“He’d just try to stop us from summoning this thing. It’s time we face it head on.” Dean was almost calm as he spoke,

“Wait so you’re willing to risk someone else for this thing? No thank you. Take me back to Bobby’s so I can get my car and go home. I am not about to mess with this thing. You can not be serious.”

“As a heart attack.” Dean shrugged. “It’s high noon, baby.” He said with a sick smile.

“We don’t know what it is! It could be a demon. It could be anything.” Bobby said almost as panicked as I felt.

“That’s why we got to be ready for anything.”

“Oh, Jesus fricken Christ.” I leaned back in my seat and ran my hands through my hair as Dean pulled a knife out of nowhere it seemed.

“We got big time magic knife. You got an arsenal in the trunk. Felicity is psychic or something. Yeah, this is a bad idea, but what other choice do we have at this point?”

“We could choose life.” Bobby muttered.

“Whatever this is, whatever it wants, it’s after me. That much we know and well, I got no place to hide. I can either get caught with my pants down again, or we can make our stand.”

“As much as I hate to admit it, Dean has a point.” I sighed. “I say we do this.”

“Okay… but we could use Sam for this.” Bobby looked sideways towards him.

“Nah. He’s better off where he is.”

We pulled up to an empty warehouse and piled out, grabbing as many spray cans as we could hold and all books with summoning symbols that Bobby had in his car. “You ready to do this?” I nodded as Dean tossed a book my direction when we walked inside. “When you’re done, put the book here so we can keep track of what we’ve drawn and what we haven’t.” I gave Dean a thumbs up and opened the book to the first page, spraying any symbol with the word “summon” next to it. “Stakes, knives, salt, iron… I think we’re pretty much set.” Dean said as he laid the weapons out on the table.

“This is still a bad idea…”

“Yeah, Bobby. I heard you the first ten times.” Dean rolled his eyes. “Now, what do you say we ring the dinner bell?” Bobby walked over to a second table set up with random objects. He looked over in my direction and sprinkled salt into a bowl.

“Amate spiritus obscure…”

Serenity’s POV


“So is there a reason you didn’t tell Dean where we were?” I asked as we got out of the Impala.

“I mean, it wasn’t technically a lie. We are at the diner.” Sam grinned as we reached the door. The diner was almost more intimidating now than it was earlier, and then it was filled with demons. Sam got the door unlocked and slowly opened it as we slipped inside. I gasped when my eyes landed on a body behind the counter. “Dammit.” Sam went to inspect the body to see what could have possibly happened.

“Hey… you should not touch it. I mean, crime scene. Fingerprints. Could be very not good is all I’m saying—oh, my god.” Sam had flipped the man over to reveal his eyes were burnt out just like Pam’s. “What the hell did—“ I was cut off as Sam was tackled and practically thrown across the restaurant. “Sam!”

“Run, Serenity!” But I couldn’t. I was frozen as I watched Sam try and beat the hell out of his attacker. He slammed his head into hers a few times before they were both on their feet. Sam had his back towards me, but I could tell the shock on his face was the same as mine when we saw the waitress from earlier with her eyes missing as well. “How did… your eyes.”

“I could still smell your soul a mile away.” Her head turned in the direction of Sam, following his voice.

“Who was here? You saw it.”

“I saw it.” She sobbed. Before either of us could ask what it was, she answered; “It’s the end. We’re dead. We’re all dead.”

“What did you see?” I asked in a small voice from my corner.

“Go to Hell.”

“Funny. I was gonna say the same thing to you.” Sam’s hand reached out in front of him as the waitress started gasping as she chocked on air. A black smoke fell from her mouth and I backed against the wall as closely as I could. What the hell was happening? The waitress fell to the ground as the black smoke dissolved into the ground, leaving a strange sulfur smell.

“Sam? What just happened?” I asked just barely above a whisper. Sam leaned over and checked the woman’s pulse before cursing. She must have died. The kitchen door opened and the woman from the hotel room (I think her name was Kristie) walked out.

“Getting pretty slick there, Sam. Better all the time.” I could hear the slyness in her voice as she walked closer to him.

“What the hell is going on around here Ruby?” Ruby? I thought her name was Kristie?

“I wish I knew.” She sighed and looked at the body in front of them.

“We were thinking some high-level demon pulled Dean out.” Sam explained as he cleared his throat. I wanted to speak up, but I was still too scared to speak.

“No way. Sam, human souls don’t just walk out of Hell and back into their bodies that easy. This guy bleeds, the ground quakes. It’s cosmic.” There was a moment of intense silence. “No demon can swing that. Not Lilith. Not anybody.”

“Then what can?”

“Nothing I’ve ever seen before.” Ruby looked in my direction and nodded for me to join her and Sam at a table. “So million-dollar question.” She said as we all took our seats. “Are you going to tell Dean what we’re doing?”

“Yeah… I just got to figure out the right way to say it.” Ruby and I both raised an eyebrow to Sam. “Look, I just need time, okay? That’s all.”

“Sam, he’s gonna find out one way or another. If it’s not from you, he’s gonna be pissed.”

“He’s so hard-headed about this psychic stuff. He’ll be pissed anyway. Ask Serenity,” Sam pointed at me. “He nearly blew a gasket when he thought she was.”

“It’s true.” I shrugged, finally able to speak up.

“Fine. Then I’ll just have to take a step back for a while. I’m not exactly in your brother’s fan club. But Sam, he is your brother. I’m not going to come between you.”

“Look, I don’t know if what I’m doing is right, Hell, I don’t even know if I trust you.” Ruby scoffed. “But I do know that I’m saving people and stopping demons. And that feels… good. So I want to keep going with this.”

Ruby nodded in thought. “Well, you know how to find me.” She stood up from the table and wiped her hands on her jeans. “Next time, leave her out of this. We don’t need another one of your stupid humans getting involved.”

“Ya know, I think she’s gonna stick around.” Ruby froze as Sam came to my defense.

Excuse me?”

“Look, I just know that there’s something special about her. Just… give her time. I’m sure she’ll impress you.” I felt the blood rush to my cheeks as Ruby turned on her heel to leave. “Hey, uh Ser? Do you mind keeping what happened here between us? I don’t need Dean finding out about this. He’d freak.”

“Yeah, no worries.” I shrugged as we slid out of the booth. “Your secret’s safe with me.”

“You have no idea how cool you are.” Sam grinned as we made our way out of the café and back to the car. “Seriously,” He looked over at me as I buckled in. “Thank you.” Sam reached over and gave me a small hug. I could have sworn he could feel my heart through my chest it was beating so hard.

“Yeah, no problem.” I cleared my throat and kept my eyes forward as he drove back to the hotel.

Felicity’s POV

“I don’t think this thing’s gonna show.” I sighed and hopped off of one of the tables. “We’ve been here for two hours. If it was going to come, it would be here by now, Dean. I’m sure Sam and Serenity are back at the hotel wondering where we are.”

“Are you sure you did it right, Bobby?” I rolled my eyes as Dean completely ignored me. Bobby gave Dean a look that could have killed. “Right, sorry. He’s touchy, right?” Dean let out a chuckle. “Okay… I guess you both are.”

“That’s it. We’re going back to the hotel. It’s not coming—“ I was cut off as the building began to shake and rumble around us.

“I think it’s here.” Dean’s tone was condescending.

“No, really? And here I thought it was the wind.”

“I like your sister better.”

“We’re not—“ The lights around us began to bust and Bobby used his jacket to cover my head. The doors to the building slowly opened as a man in a trench coat walked calmly towards us. None of the symbols were trapping him like they were supposed to. Dean ushered me behind him as he and Bobby grabbed shotguns and began firing at him. It wasn’t working. “Dean?”

“Stay behind me.” He shielded me with his arm before reaching for the ‘magic knife’ he had been talking up all night. “Who are you?”

“I’m the one who gripped you tight and raised you from perdition.”

“Yeah? Thanks for that.” Dean’s grip tightened around the knife. Was he going to stab this guy?! He pushed me in Bobby’s direction and lunged forward, piercing the knife into the man’s chest.

“Oh, my God!” I felt sick. I just witnessed a murder. I want to go home. I stood there stunned as the man pulled the knife from his chest, keeping his eyes on Dean. Bobby jumped forward with a tire iron and swung for his head, but he reached back and grabbed it before turning to face Bobby, placing two fingers on his forehead, and watching as Bobby fell to the ground.

“We need to talk Dean. Alone.”

“What did you do to him?” I knelt down beside Bobby, checking for any sign of breathing.

“Your friend is alive.”

“Great. Now who are you?” Dean demanded.

“Castiel.”

“Yeah, I figured that much. I mean what are you?” Castiel cocked his head at the question, as if the answer was almost obvious.

“I’m an Angel of the Lord.”

“Get the Hell out of here… there’s no such thing.” Castiel looked at me as I sat by Bobby’s side.

“This is your problem Dean…” Castiel walked over towards me and crouched in front of me. “You have no faith.” He reached forward and placed his fingers on my forehead, and I easily fell asleep right next to Bobby.
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter is a little longer than I had anticipated, but I hope you guys like it! Let me know what you think? Thank you so much for reading!

Xx
Katie