If You Love Me

Epilogue: I Have Done It Before

Pulling the door closed behind him, Gerard spared a relieved sigh, his ears taking in the quiet which filled the house. He wasn’t surprised that it was so quiet, with the team having boarded a flight almost as soon as their match had finished, they hadn’t arrived home until the early hours of the morning, and Gerard didn’t want to disturb anyone, even if he was itching to see Nora and the children face to face, he had little doubt that he could put it off until the morning. Yawning quietly, he locked the door before he moved to toe off his shoes.

“Gerard?”

Gerard, who’d been focused on not making too much noise, startled a little at the sound of Nora’s voice before he lifted his head, settling his eyes on where she stood in the living room doorway, Rafael snoozing quietly in her arms. “Nora” he breathed “Nena, I thought you’d be asleep. It’s what, 3:30am?” he posed, sparing a quick glance down towards his watch.

“It’s 3:45am” Nora corrected with a sleepy smile “And I would love to be asleep, but both Alba and Rafa came down with colds and settling them down for longer than an hour has proven to be quite the task. I’ve been up for most of the night” she added, allowing a soft yawn to fall out of her mouth.

Gerard offered her a soft look, not missing how tired she looked, before he shook his head, moving to lift Rafael up into his arms.

Nora watched him for a moment before she shook her head. “Gerard...”

“I can take it from here” Gerard interrupted “I mean, I slept a lot on the plane and I am sure that I can handle this. You should head upstairs, even if it is only for a few hours. Go, Nora” he added, his voice caught between firm and warm.

Nora offered him a soft look, briefly contemplating his offer, before she shook her head. “You’ve just come home” she pointed out.

“I know that” Gerard agreed “But you said it yourself, you’ve been awake most of the night, and it’s probably my turn. I can look after them, Nora, I mean, I am sort of their papa and I have done it before. I think I can handle it” he added, offering her a boyish smile.

Nora admired his smile for a moment before she shook her head, her expression slightly hesitant. “Are you sure that you don’t mind?” she posed.

Gerard shook his head. “Of course not” he noted “We’ll be fine, nena” he added, his voice warm and encouraging.

Nora offered him another slightly hesitant look before she let out a soft sigh, something which made Gerard smile before he took a pace towards her, pressing a light kiss against the top of her head. “Dulces sueños, mi amor” he mumbled into her hair.

Nora cuddled into him for a moment, enjoying the small amorous embrace, before she took a step back. “If you need anything...”

“I will come and get you” Gerard finished for her, offering her another soft smile.

Nora nodded her head quickly before she pushed herself up onto her toes, stealing a quick kiss. “It’s good to see you. I’ve kind of missed you” she noted warmly before she pushed herself away, quietly padding up the stairs.

Gerard smiled a little at her words before Rafael let out a soft whimper in his sleep, something which pulled Gerard’s attention down towards him. “Come on” he murmured “Let’s go and check on your sister and then we can get some sleep” he added, pressing a soft kiss against the little boy’s head.

~#~
Pulling her fingers through her blonde hair, Nora let out a quiet yawn, her feet quietly padding down the stairs. It hadn’t been long, after Gerard had sent her up to bed, only a few hours had passed, but still Nora had opted to climb out of bed, even if a large part of her had been tempted to remain curled up beneath the duvet. She wanted to allow Gerard the opportunity to rest.

Smoothing out her hair a little, she quietly ducked into the living room before she quirked a small smile, her eyes settling on Gerard who laid on the couch, Alba curled up at his side and Rafael sleeping happily in his Moses basket. Pausing for a second, she watched them sleep quietly before she moved to step out of the room, only to accidently tread on a toy which had been left on the floor. Gripping onto her foot, she attempted to keep herself quiet, but failed, letting out a small hiss of pain.

“You Ok?”

Nora startled a little at the sound of Gerard’s voice before she lifted her head, offering him a small nod. “I’m fine” she noted “I just...I trod on one of Alba’s toys. I didn’t mean to wake you” she added.

Gerard shook his head. “It’s fine” he noted “Besides, I don’t think we’ll have much longer before they start to wake up” he added, sparing a small look towards Alba who stirred a little in her sleep.

Nora followed the line of his stare for a moment before she lifted her head. “How are they?” she posed.

“Snuffly” Gerard replied “And grumpy because they’re tired, but they’re OK. Rafa’s been asleep for a couple of hours, and Alba a little longer” he added, lightly smoothing out the toddler’s dark hair.

Nora nodded. “And you?” she posed.

Gerard smiled a little, slightly amused by her fussing, before he shook his head. “I’m OK” he noted “I mean, this couch isn’t designed to fit me so my back’s a little tight, but I am sure that I will cope, even more so if my lovely wife comes over here and gives me a good morning kiss” he added impishly.

Nora let out a small laugh at his joke before she stepped towards him, pressing a couple of brisk kisses against his lips. “You’re an idiot, aren’t you?” she mused, smoothing out his hair slightly.

Gerard simply offered her a nonchalant shrug, something which made Nora giggle before she leant down, sneaking a couple of quick kisses. Gerard smiled into the contact, holding her close for a couple of seconds, before she pulled away, mumbling something about making them breakfast before she padded out of the room. Gerard watched after her quietly before he shook his head, a small smile pulling at the corner of his mouth. They had taken their time, for a long time, he had been convinced that he nor Nora would ever tell the other that they wanted more out of what they had, but he was pleased that he had worked up the nerve, even if they had had their bumps. He was proud of where they were.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo for the comment :)

Thanks to those who've read, recommended, commented or subscribed :)