Status: Updating whenever possible. Hopefully once a week.

Starting Over

Chapter One

“Alright we are all done,” I stated to my customer as I wiped down the new ink I had just created on her arm, “Go ahead and take a look in the mirror Cassie.”

The fake red head got off the chair she had been sitting in for the last four hours and went to go look at the now complete tattoo I had make on her arm and heard her squeal.

“This tattoo is so sick Mel!” she squealed as her friend had the same big smile plastered on her face, “It’s perfect. You basically took my idea in my head and put it on my arm!”

“I’m glad you like it,” I said as she hugged, “Remember keep away from pools and dunking that thing in water. Wash it and keep it moisturized Bag Balm works pretty well.”

“Always,” she said, “I’ll make sure I pay Lenny and I’ll see you in a few weeks to finish up my sleeve.”

“Just make an appointment,” I said smiling at the nineteen-year-old who I had been tattooing for the last year since I moved back to Huntington.

Again, she hugged me tightly and left my tattoo room after I wrapped it up. It had been a long day in my tattoo shop and I was exhausted. I had been in the shop since 6am since today was Friday and it was the day that I promised my kiddos that they could have a sleepover with their best friends since it was the weekend and they didn’t have school. I rubbed my hands over my tired face when I heard my shop manager and close friend who moved down to Huntington with me, Lenny, come to my room.

“Another very happy customer Melrose,” my blonde hair and brown eyed friend said, “I’m impressed. We’ve been doing so well with business. Think that you’re ready to rub it into Derek after a year?”

I just chuckled and peeked from behind my hands, “In your dreams Lenny. Besides who wouldn’t want a tattoo from the infamous Melrose McKinley? If I remember you don’t let anyone do your tattoos anymore. By the way did he call about possibly coming to get his children for next weekend?”

“Sadly, no emails from him or calls,” he said, “You headed to Val’s to pick up the kids for the sleepover?”

“Actually, Val is a godsend and said she’d drop them off here,” I sighed looking at the clock above the doorway and Lenny’s head, “I forgot how kids don’t forget a damn thing. Val and I promised they could have an all-day playdate and sleepover and then Cassie called in a panic about this tattoo I feel terrible about leaving Zander and Jace with her all day since I promised that I would take the kids so she could pack for her vacation with Jonah.”

Lenny just laughed at me and shook his head.

“Mel I’m pretty sure Val didn’t mind in the least bit,” he said as we heard the front door open and I smiled lightly when I heard kid voices and running towards my room.

“Mommy!” I heard Zander’s voice as he threw himself at me and I laughed as I hugged him.

“Hey Bubba,” I said, “We’re you and Jace good for Miss Val?”

“Always Momma,” he said grinning, “Cash and River are here too!”

“Are they!?” I said shocked, “Well why don’t you take them and Jace back to the hangout room and I’ll come get you when I’m all ready to go?”

Zander nodded his head in understanding and I watched as I saw three other children rush towards the back of the tattoo shop and I smiled when Val joined Lenny at the door.

“Cassie love her tattoo?” she asked smirking.

“As always,” I said smiling, “You really should let me hook you up with a tat Val. It’d be on the house.”

Valary Sanders was the first friend that I had made when I moved back to Huntington after my brutal divorce from my ex-husband and I was grateful for that. She had also gone through a divorce but lucky for her, hers was very civil and her and her ex-husband are still friends.

“As if McKinley,” she said rolling her eyes, “Unlike you I have a job that will fire me if I even show one.”

I just laughed as Lenny and I cleaned up my room and she sat on the chair near the door.

“So, busy day I take it?” she asked and I nodded my head in agreement.

“Yes,” I said smiling lightly at the blonde in front of me, “I think the six-year-olds might be in charge after eight p.m.”

Val just laughed and I continued making sure that I had everything put away the way I liked it, neat and organized.

“Well tomorrow instead of dropping off the kids at my place could you drop the boys off at Matt’s? He’s getting in tonight and asked to have them for three weeks instead of two and I said it would be okay,” she asked and I nodded my head.

“Of course,” I said wiping down my tattoo chair, “I’m serious Val you’re so lucky that you and Matt are so civil with each other. I can’t even get Derek to call to tack down a weekend so he can spend time with the boys. He’s so focused on his new wife and their baby, he’s totally forgot about the six-year-old and three-year-old he has. I’m so tempted to go back for full custody.”

“I’m sorry hun,” Val said looking at me with understanding eyes, “Maybe he’ll call soon. You never know maybe him having a newborn will remind him to be a good father for everyone?”

“Highly doubt that Val but thanks for being optimistic,” I sighed wiping down my tattoo chair.

“Oh, on the bright side I’m excited that you get to meet Matt finally,” Val said grinning, “I totally told him you were a MILF.”

I was rolling my eyes but I head immediately snapped up and I narrowed my dark brown eyes at my friend.

“You did what?” I asked and Val smirked.

“I told him you were hot,” she said like it was nothing, “Hey I would totally approve of you two dating. You’re perfect for each other. I have no doubt you two will get along.”

I hadn’t thought of dating in the last year and half since being separated from Derek. With the divorce, moving, starting my own tattoo shop with my brother, and raising Zander and Jace on my own basically was a handful. Throwing dating into the mix of things would definitely make things even more stressful and I was pretty sure I couldn’t handle that. I was about to respond to Val when door chimed again and I sighed not really wanting to deal with a customer when Lenny stuck his head in telling me that I should probably come deal with this customer since he was asking for me and only me. Val nodded her head in understanding and I walked out turning my ballcap backwards and walked out of the room and I smiled when I saw a customer of mine from LA standing there looking like he just got back from tour.

“Shouldn’t you be at your father’s house Haner,” I said smiling lightly at the tatted up infamous Synyster Gates standing in my shop.

I had started tattooing Brian about two years ago. He came into the shop wanting Derek to tattoo him but Derek was booked for three months out and he didn’t want to wait that long. I offered to tattoo him and the rest you could say was history. He thought my style was cleaner and brighter than Derek and from then on, he became my client.

“Maybe I should,” he said as he hugged me, “Heard from Dalia that you moved and dumped that piece of shit. Wanted to come make an appointment.”

“Sure,” I said smiling lightly ignoring the comment he had made earlier, “When?”

“Friday work for you?” he asked, “Morning?”

“Nine on Friday?” I asked and he nodded his head.

“Oh, and Mel,” he said, “I chewed Dalia out too. I don’t care if they are having a baby. That was shitty on both their parts. I’m glad you’re doing so well on your own.”

I just smiled lightly at Brian and nodded my head. I couldn’t say much because it was what a lot of my client base told me over the last year when they found out I opened my own shop here in Huntington Beach. Brian and I hugged and he left the shop and I turned around to see Val smirking at me as I walked back.

“You already know Brian?” she asked.

“I’m Melrose McKinley. I’ve tattooed him, Jimmy, and Zack,” I said and she just laughed at me.

“I should’ve guessed my dear friend,” she said as she stood up and followed me back to the hangout room that I had designed for Jace and Zander so if they needed to come to the shop they had a safe place to stay busy.

I had the room stocked with an Xbox, Amazon Fire Stick, and a computer. I had a wall full of books, along with some guitars and a drum kit since Zander and Jace were very into music. I even had sketch books for them if they ever decided they wanted to draw. When Val and I walked in Jace and River were playing some kind of video game while Zander and Cash were playing with some dinosaurs that I had in their toy bin.

“Boys come say good night to your mom,” Val said, “Now tomorrow you’re going to go with Daddy for the next three weeks.”

“Okay Mom,” Cash said and hugged Val along with River.

Val said she would text me the address to Matt’s house later on in the evening and said that she’d call for details after our meeting. I just rolled my eyes and walked her out of the shop. Not ten minutes after, we said goodbye to Lenny and I promised I’d stop by in the afternoon the next day and I began my duty as awesome sleepover director.
♠ ♠ ♠
New story that's been eating at me. Let me know what you all think!