Voices in My Head

New Beginnings

“…And I don’t think I even have to mention, that you’re not allowed to fraternize with the talent unless you somehow find yourself in a story line. You all would have read your contracts before signing them so…-“

And Ana zoned out again. It was the same boring, mind-numbing speech every time she took on a big event. Sure, the fine print was always different but as soon as “celebrities” were involved, there was a rule of no fraternizing: you’d lose your job if caught and, even worse, your reputation would be soiled.

Trying to hide her yawn, she looked around the room full of newbies, all with big eyes and eager smiles. Maybe Ana was getting too old for the touring circus. She had thought about turning the offer down, but the money was good and she simply couldn’t turn down a gig that offered a 6 months contract with the possibility of turning permanent. Looking at the other females in the rom, she was definitely one of the oldest, apart from a lady who looked in her early to mid 40’s and was a physic, judging by the clothes she wore.

“And I guess that’s all of it. Does anyone have any questions?”

The lady asked, coming to rest against the edge of the table and sitting on it, her pointed brown eyes roaming the group of 20 some people.

Ana raised a hand and rose from her seat as her new boss smiled at her encouragingly.

“I know there is a few people here that have never worked on a big tour circuit before so I just wanted to clear up who to contact if any of the ladies should experience issues with male coworkers, may it be on our level or “the talent”, as you call them.”

Stephanie McMahon licked her lips as she stood again, appreciating the question from the new stagehand that had come highly recommended to her. It was clear that she was trying to look out for the younger girls in the crew, telling them that it was OK to speak out if anyone was being approached in the wrong way. She could also see, that most males in the room rolled their eyes at the woman’s question.

“Thanks for bringing that up…Ana, is it?”

Ana nodded and was pleasantly surprised that Stephanie had remembered her name.

“If anyone approaches you in a way that you find inappropriate, no matter if you’re female or male,”

She turned to look at the men in the group rather pointedly,

“I’m the person you come and see. The WWE takes any kind of harassment serious, especially at the work place. I know that some of our athletes can come across harsh or demanding at times, so please try and differentiate between “harassment” and someone simply having a bad day. I am glad to say that in the 4 years that I have run this ship, we only had two issues of this sort on our hands, but both were handled professionally…one of which ended in a wedding.”

Ana nodded her thanks and sat down on her chair again. She could feel the eyes of some of the younger women on her and smiled back at them. This was not a question a first-timer would ask. She knew. That’s why she always asked this very same question at a new job when most other women were younger than her.

“Well, if that’s all I would like to welcome you all to the WWE! Enjoy the experience, always do the best you can and…welcome!”

Most people clapped their hands and hollered as Ana grabbed her bag and stood to leave. Just as she was about to turn towards the door, she heard Stephanie calling her name.

“Could I talk to you for just a sec?”

Ana shrugged her shoulders, but her insides were in turmoil. She knew that she hadn’t gotten this offer out of nowhere. She didn’t even have to go to an interview for it, she had a received a letter in the mail asking if she was interested joining.

Walking back to the table Stephanie was yet again leaning against, I placed my messenger bag next to me and copied her stance.
After everyone had left, a security guy nodded towards Stephanie and closed the door.

“You asking that question is another reason why you came so highly recommended I assume, thank you.”

Ana simply nodded her head and waited for what she knew was going to follow.

“How are you feeling about this gig?”

Ana was caught by surprise: this was not the question she had expected at all.

“Uhm…. it’s seems like a great opportunity? I knew a few people who have been working with the organization for years and, apart from the gossip of course, they obviously love it. It’s a demanding job that would have me work and travel pretty much every day in the coming months, but it can’t possibly be worse than the last tour I just came off.”

Stephanie laughed a genuine laugh, remembering what she had been told from the person recommending her in the first place.

“Gavin did mention that that particular tour was hell, so I won’t disagree. This is your first time working the wrestling circuit though…do you think it may be something you’d come to like?”

Ana turned her head to seize up her new boss. There was only one reason she’d be asking this.

“I don’t know? I’ve built many stages and have been assisting backstage for well over a decade. I guess that travelling with wrestlers isn’t all that much different to travelling with a band…but as you said earlier: there are many personalities involved.”

Stephanie could accept that she didn’t give her a straight-cut answer. She wasn’t stupid: she knew that Ana’s job consisted of building and taking apart stages. That she had doubled as stage manager on a lot of music tours for years and had travelled the world as one of few females in her position.

“I know that I made you sign a six months contract, as is our standard for first timers. But I would love to offer you a new contract in about 3 months: a permanent one. After Gavin’s recommendation, I started to listen around. And apart from one…unsavory part, you really seem to be a person I would like to have by my side for good.”

“The unsavory part of my work history was rather early in my career and I like to think back on it as a learning curve. After all, I was only 21 at the time.”

Stephanie nodded, already having made up her mind about the tall brunette next to her.

“Well, as said: I do see a long time plan for you here with us. We need people that are seasoned and are no-bullshit. I like you. Thank you for standing up for the girls earlier by the way, I am sure it was the first time anyone brought this up at a meeting.”

Ana nodded and grabbed her bag and walked towards the door. As she pushed the lever to open the door, she turned towards Stephanie again, who was busy shuffling paper that were left on the table.

“Thank you for hiring me Steph, it’s not an opportunity I will take lightly.”