Small Town Girl

*Chapter 9*

Everyone in the room was dead silent. As she continued, I felt more tears forming and my heart breaking more and more with every word she spoke. "They told me they can try to up the dosage and it might give me a little longer but they aren't making any promises." "Well then we'll up the dosage. Mama, please keep fighting." I begged with my tears now streaming down my face. She was crying too as she began talking again. "Baby, I'm so tired. I've been fighting for so long. I'm going to hold on for as long as I can but I..." "You what, Mom?" "I've made the decision to stop treatment." By now I couldn't breathe due to crying so hard. I held tightly to Mama and asked, "How long do you have left?" This question caused her to cry harder and begin coughing. Once she caught her breath she whispered out, "Two months, maybe a little longer." After that the guys left the room as quietly as they could. Brent began to rise to his feet to follow his band but I gently grabbed his hand and looked up at him with pleading eyes. He nodded and sat back down next to us. He then wrapped his long arms around us and let us cry.

After a while Mama and I calmed down and she fell asleep. About that time Jimmy, Barry, Zach, and Eric walked back in the room. "Jimmy, can you take her to her room? Please, Jim?" He nodded silently while picking her up and began walking up the stairs to her room. After that he came back down and hugged me. "I'm gonna go home. I'll see you later, HoneyBee. He kissed my forehead and smiled sadly before nodding to the guys and leaving. A couple minutes later Aunt Mel came and gave me a hug and told me she was leaving too. It was quiet for a few minutes before I spoke again. "Barry, Eric, Zach, I don't have too much room here but you can sleep in Aunt Mel's room. She has a California King so you all should be able to fit. Or if one of you wants, there's an air mattress in there too. It should be in her closet. Brent, you can have my room and I'll take the couch." I showed them all to their rooms and walked to my room to grab my night clothes. I changed and went to the couch downstairs to try and get some well needed sleep. I tossed and turned for a few minutes before I felt myself being lifted into the air. I recognized the smell of Brent's cologne instantly.

"Brent, what are you doing?" "I'm taking you to your room. You have had a long, draining day. You need to sleep in a proper bed. I will take the couch." He said as he gently placed me in my bed and began tucking me in. He started to walk away when I gently grabbed his hand. "Please stay. I won't be able to sleep. I know it. I'll just end up thinking about everything that's happened." "It's ok, Liz. I'll stay. Do you mind if I um, get comfortable?" "Oh, um, sure. That's fine." I said while blushing. He stripped down to only his boxers and climbed into bed next to me. I could tell he was having an issue getting comfy because he kept tossing and turning. I finally decided to take matters into my own hands. He turned onto his back and I gently placed my hand on his chest to keep him from moving again. I then scooted over to cuddle to his side. "Is this ok?" "Yeah." He squeaked out before clearing his throat. "Yeah, this is fine." It was awkward and silent for a minute before he finally wrapped his arms around me and pulled me closer. As I let my racing mind shut down, I heard his breathing even out. I then let the sound of his beating heart lull me to sleep.