Status: Work-In-Progress

Limerence

Pizza and Napoleon Dynamite

I paced my room as I waited for Peter’s text telling me when to go to the roof as I talked to Lea. “This is insane, right? What kind of guy just asks a girl to meet him on the roof?!”

“It could be romantic. Maybe he’ll take some candles and bring some sparkling… apple juice. Oh! And maybe—”

“Lea, he’s a fifteen-year-old kid. I doubt he’s going to try and live life like a cheesy teen romance movie.” My phone buzzed against my ear. I looked at the notification and smiled. “Gotta go, Lea. I’ll let you know if he murders me.” I hung up before she could answer and replied.

Peter: On the roof. You coming?

Callie: Coming.

I checked my hair once more in the mirror above my desk before opening the window above my bed. “Oh my God. There is a fire escape. Huh.” I shook my head and ran over and locked my bedroom door, hoping it would keep my dad out of my room for the time being while I was on the roof.

Taking a deep breath (and quickly praying my dad wouldn’t find out), I climbed out of my window and took the fire escape up to the roof of my building. It took me a few minutes to find the courage to climb the ladder at the top, but I finally mustered up the courage and pulled myself onto the roof. I really hated heights. “Took you long enough.” Peter laughed as I stepped away from the edge, trying to steady my breathing.

“Hey, I may be thin, but I am very out of shape.” Peter held up a pizza box and smiled. “And you are not helping my unhealthy habits.” I cracked a smile and took the pizza box out of his hands. “Smells amazing.”

“Great! Oh, and I brought my laptop to watch a movie.” Peter sat the laptop down on the ground as he sat. “Well, take a seat.” He patted the spot next to him. “I won’t bite.” I sat down next to him and placed the pizza box in front of the laptop.

“This is… really great, Peter.” I almost forgot about my fear of heights being with him. Almost.

“Aye, no problem.” He gently punched my arm and let his hand fall next to mine before leaning forward to push play with his other. “I love this movie.”

“Napoleon Dynamite?” I raised an eyebrow and tried to subtly move closer to him.

“Uh, yeah. It’s hilarious.”

“Sure… if you want to lose brain cells… wait that must be why you didn’t make it to the decathlon. You didn’t have enough brain cells to qualify.”

“Oh… oh ha, ha.” Peter shoved me playfully, and I shoved him back. “You still have to watch it. I planned the date, so I pick the movie.”

“Oh, this is a date?”

“I mean… uhm, well… yeah?”

“Good.” I nodded and faced the laptop, trying to hide my burning cheeks with my hair. I felt Peter move his hand closer to mine. He must have decided not to try too hard, because he intertwined our pinkies, and they stayed like that throughout the entire movie. It was… nice. We finished our pizza and movie in silence, and letting out the occasional laugh.

“So… this was fun” Peter helped me stand up as he spoke. “Next time won’t be so… awkward. I mean if there is a next time.” I wiped the seat of my jeans and crossed my arms.

“I’d like that… but I get to pick the movie.”

“Fair enough.” He laughed and helped me stand up on the ledge of the roof. “How about after homecoming? You pick the movie, I’ll order the pizza. We could even ditch the dance early if you wanted.”

“That sounds perfect.” I could hear my voice shaking as I held onto Peter’s shoulders. “Okay. I’m going down first so you don’t stare at my butt.” I tried to joke. “Don’t let me fall. Please?”

“Are you okay?”

“Irrational fear of heights.” I took a shaky breath. “I’m fine just… give me a second.” Peter put his hands over mine to steady me better. “Thanks. Okay. I think I’m ready.” I let go of his shoulders and shut my eyes as I reached for the ladder handles. I felt my feet slip from under me and I tried to reach for Peter’s hands as I fell backwards. “Peter!”

“Callie!” I just missed his hands by an inch and started falling towards the ground. I opened my eyes long enough to turn my head and see the ground getting closer and closer. I squeezed my eyes shut and prepared for the worst.

I’m sorry dad. If I survive, I’ll never sneak out again.

I gasped as something cold and sticky slapped against my exposed stomach and suddenly stopped my fall. My eyes snapped open as I grabbed onto the only thing keeping me from dying. I tried to steady my breathing as I slowly went up the side of the building. “Oh my God. Oh my God. That’s the second time I almost died.” I said to myself and grabbed onto the ledge of the building. Peter reached down and grabbed my hands, pulling me up with ease.

“Are you okay!?”

“Peter! Oh, my God, Peter.” I threw my arms around him. “You saved my life.” I could feel the tears starting to spill over but I didn’t care. I almost just died. “Thank you so much.” Peter’s arms wrapped around my waist and buried his head in my neck.

“I’m so glad you’re okay.” We stood there for a moment before I finally came to my senses and gasped, parting from him. “What? What did I do?”

“You’re…” I looked around to see if anyone was listening. Why? I don’t know. We were on the roof. In Queens. After midnight. “You’re Spider-Man.”

“No, Callie—”

“It’s okay. I’ve known for a while, I won’t tell anyone I swear—”

“You’ve known!?” Peter stepped towards me. “Is that why you said yes to homecoming? To this date? Is… is that why you ‘fell’ off the roof? God, and to think I actually liked you.”

“No! No, Peter I would never!” I placed a hand on his arm and he instantly snatched it away. “Peter please. I wouldn’t do that to you. You have to know I wouldn’t.” I folded my arms over my stomach. “I said yes because I like you. And throw myself off the roof!? Are you crazy!? Why would I ever do that in a million years!” We stood there in silence for a moment and I could feel my throat getting thick as I tried not to cry.

“You need to get home. Your dad’s going to get worried.” Peter walked past me and stopped. I heard the thwip of his web before it hit my waist and he pulled me against his side. “I don’t want you falling again.” I shut my eyes and felt the wind around me before we gently landed on the fire escape outside of my window. “Have a good night, Callie.”

“Peter—”

“See ya Monday.” He jumped off the fire escape and landed on the sidewalk. Taking one last look up at me, he shook his head and made his way across the street to the apartments he lived in. I dropped down and sat outside for a while, reliving the night up until it went wrong. I could have avoided it. I could have let him tell me whatever lie he wanted me to believe. I could have gone on pretending I believed him. I could have… I should have… but I didn’t.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay guys... it's the final countdown here. I have two chapters left after this one. I've finished writing it out, and I'm really, really proud of it. I hope you guys enjoy it, because I know I have! <3