Status: Finally getting back into the swing of writing

Let's Dance

Let's dance

“Aaron James?” I looked up at the voice that spoke my boyfriends name, I saw Chloe Driver walking toward him. My dark eyes flicked over to Aaron who seemed to sit a little straighter in his seat I resisted the urge to roll my eyes. The two of us had been having our issues for a while but the fact that he perked up when another girl came over was the icing on the top.

“Chloe Driver,” he smiled exposing his pearly whites. Even under the coloured lighting I could see her cheeks flush. “It has been a while,”

“It has… um…” she cleared her throat and tucked a a curl behind her ear, “I was wondering would you like to dance… I mean if it is okay with Lani.” she gave a shy smile and I couldn’t help but smile. I was about to reply until Aaron cut me off.

“Yeah it’s fine,” he answered for me. I chose not to say anything and cause a scene instead I nodded my head.

“Sure have fun,” I said as the two of them disappeared between the bodies of people. Sighing I sat back on my seat looking around at the hall that had been decorated in so many different Christmas decorations. Christmas in July was the theme and here I was sitting at a table by myself while my date is dancing with another woman.

I grabbed my clutch and pulled out my phone turning the brightness down and began to play Candy Crush trying to pass my time.

“Hi there,” lifting my gaze from my phone I was startled to find Freddie McGuire, a friend from school, standing before me, he was dressed in a white shirt and jacket with a brightly coloured Christmas tie.

“Hey Freddie, take a seat,” I indicated the spare seats that were scattered around me before tucking my phone away. “How has your night been?”

“I have had better nights, my date has been eyeing off another guy the entire night so that has been fun.” he sighed running his fingers through his hair chestnut curls.

“Oh, I’m sorry. Who was your date?” I asked reaching out and grabbing my glass of Champagne

“Chloe Driver,” I nearly spat my drink out, swallowing I spoke.

“Really? I don’t mean that as in ’Really? She agreed to attend the Christmas party with you but the guy she has been eyeing all night is my date.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, Aaron James.”

“Wait you came with Aaron James as in the Aaron James from school? What is he your boyfriend?” the incredulous look that had spread across Freddie’s face almost made me laugh.

“Well… he was… but now I am not so sure,” I indicated shrugging my shoulders and looking out at the sea of people that were dancing, that was when I saw the two of them, dancing together, they were lost in each others eyes talking about their past I’m assuming. I wasn’t overly mad to be honest, I was a little ticked at Aaron but when I saw how hurt Freddie was I knew I had to make his night better.

“Come on,” I said getting to my feet and straightening out my dress, “Let’s dance, let’s show the two of them what they are missing out on,” I held out my hand waiting from him to grab it, when he did a wide grin spread across my face as I pulled him to his feet and lead him out onto the dance floor.

The music changed and the opening notes to Liam Payne’s Strip that Down came on and I instantly began moving to the beat of the music however Freddie looked lost. Grabbing his hands I started with simple steps just to try and get him feeling the beat, once he had the hang of that I stepped closer wrapping both of his hands around my waist as I rested my arms on his shoulders and getting lost allowing my body to move in time with the beat.

“Let go Freddie,” I laughed it took a little longer but finally he had found his rhythm and our dancing became natural. He was a real gentleman because his hands didn’t wander from my waist and he kept a decent amount of space between the two of us. Then the song changed this time it wasn’t something that would be played at a club instead this one was more light and easy to dance to even if you didn’t have any rhythm.

“I love this song,” Freddie smiled as the two of us moved, he grabbed my hand and spun me around before pulling me close and dropping me for a dip, a laugh broke from my lips, he pulled me up and we continued to move that was when I noticed the other dancers had began to form a circular formation around the two of us.

“It seems we have made an impression.”

“Well I can understand why, you are a wonderful dancer.” he complimented me smiling.

“I have a good partner,” I replied before he spun me out and back into his arms before dropping me down again as the final notes played. He pulled me back up as I straightened up I caught a glimpse of Aaron and Chloe they were both staring at the two of us. Aaron looked pissed and Chloe looked surprised.

“I think we showed them,” I giggled before waving at the two of them Freddie chuckled from beside me and then as the next song started he led me back to my table where I had been sitting. “Thank you for the dance Freddie, it was most certainly the highlight of my night so far.

“Yeah… I did notice that you and Aaron are distant… do you want to talk about it?” as soon as the words left his lips he cleared his throat awkwardly and looked down at his shoes, “Sorry, here is probably not the place you want to talk about… if you wanted to talk about it… I mean you don’t have to…”

“Freddie, it’s okay. I would really like to talk to someone about this. Thank you for the offer. Not here though, we don’t need to put a damper on the mood. Come on let’s dance… again, they are playing good music.” the truth was I didn’t want to sit down, I had been sitting down for far too long tonight and now that I had found a partner that was willing to dance with me everything was starting to become less boring and long winded. Freddie didn’t object instead he smiled widely and nodded his head grabbing my hand and leading me back onto the dance floor and the two of us got lost in the music.

*~*~*


I lost track of time and by the time the music stopped it had to have been nearing midnight, due to most of the people had left and the tables had been cleared away.

“Alright guys that was our last song, hope you have a great night and Merry Christmas,” the singer spoke into his microphone before the music promptly stopped. I scanned the few dancers that were still around to find that Aaron and Chloe were no longer on the dance floor.

“They suck off about fifteen minutes ago, if you wondering,” Freddie said, “if you want to go look for them, is Aaron your ride home?”

“Yeah but to be honest I don’t want to go home with him, he has been in a foul mood all day and… I mean unless you want to go get Chloe… we can go and do that.” I spurted feeling selfish that I had began to ramble about myself when Freddie’s date had also disappeared.

“Nah,” he shook his head, “she had been ogling him all night, if the two are together let them enjoy it… because we are going to enjoy ours, come on I’ll take you to get an ice cream or something.”

“Sounds like a plan…” I smiled before linking my arm in his and following him out of the building grabbing my purse as I did. “Thanks for making tonight so much fun.”

“No thank you. I enjoyed dancing with you.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey all, it has been a while since I have written anything.... but I am slowly starting to fight the wall I have hit. And here is the end product, it's simple and reasonably short and I had a lot of fun writing it.

I hope you enjoy it.

Until next time
Cheers Esther :)