Status: Complete

Autumn

1/1

Blaire had always loved Autumn, the way the world became painted in colours that no other season captured so vividly and the grace in which it seemed to possess as it let go of the old in order to welcome the new. Each falling leaf was a sign that winter was on its way, but for a while everything around her was beautiful and it was as though nature was giving humankind one final smile before the bleak colours of winter took hold.

She would come home from a hard day at work and make herself a steaming cup of hot chocolate, or maybe even pour herself a glass of red wine if the day had been especially difficult. Then, she would put on one of her older brother’s hoodies that were miles to big and curl up in front of the fireplace with a good book that she would get lost in.

Blaire had many great memories of autumns spent with her family, telling ghost stories around an open campfire and jumping in piles of leaves that her dad had spent hours clearing off the lawn. She remembered dressing up for Halloween and clutching her brother’s hand as they went from house to house collecting candy, which they’d share out between them.

Arriving at her parent’s house, Blaire couldn’t help smiling at the decorations covering the front yard and headed inside.

“Blaire,” her nephew squealed as she entered the kitchen, jumping down from his seat at the counter and throwing himself into her arms.

“Hey bub,” Blaire replied, positioning the little boy on her hip and putting her bag on the floor, “What are you doing?”

“Halloween,” he shouted, throwing his fists into the air, “Can you help me with pumpkin?”

“Of course I can.”

Prepping the pumpkin for carving, Blaire chuckled as Mason put his hand in it with a grimace and pulled out a hand full of seeds with a loud ‘ew’. Half an hour later, they both stepped back and Blaire watched as Mason admired their newly carved vampire pumpkin with the look of pure amazement in his eyes.

As darkness fell, Blaire’s brother moved the pumpkin to its position on the front porch and handed Mason an unlit candle to place inside. Lighting a match, Blaire lit the candle and smiled as the flame illuminated the vampire face.
♠ ♠ ♠
Autumn/Halloween... happy reading x