Serendipity

As Much As My Heart Flutters, I'm Worried

Image


Hard thudding sounds woke her from her slumber, and it wasn't till she opened her eyes did she realize it was the sound of her father's heavy footsteps as they made their way down the staircase. Still drowsy, her dreary eyes drifted towards her phone that she was already picking up, before squinting at the lit up screen with disdain. Once her eyes had adjusted to the luminous glow of the LCD screen, she looked to the time and noted it as being only eight o'clock in the morning.

Normally this would be the time when she'd be rushing towards her first class of the day, however, today, as well as the rest of the week, would be an exception as it was the first day of their Thanksgiving break.

Somewhat reluctantly, Brennan shoved off the duvet from her body, the thick piece of fabric still retaining a bit of warmth from her body heat. In her routine morning ritual, she pushed herself off from the bed, stretched, and began to rummage through her dresser drawers and closet for something to wear that day. It didn't take her long to decide on some faded jeans and a baggy shirt that was so old it was starting to accumulate little holes here and there.

Her fatigued form sauntered sloppily across the hall and into the bathroom, starting a quick shower to fully awaken herself and her senses. Once she had freshened up, she changed into her clothes for the day and left, descending the stairs and entering the kitchen, her father, Andrew, standing up from the kitchen table as she did so.

He ignored his daughter – the less contact with each other the better, and she did the same, knowing that their relationship was still tumultuous at best. Not only that, but there was also nothing much to discuss between them. In fact, she was still clueless to pretty much anything and everything concerning him. Brennan didn't even know what the man did for a living...

Andrew opened up the fridge door and slammed it shut after retrieving a soda bottle from within, the middle-aged man then walking out of the cookery and soon the house, the bang of the front door confirming it as both she and the house seemed to shudder in surprise.

Her feet carried her towards the cupboards and cabinets once her stomach began to cry for sustenance, the brunette looking for something to satiate her hunger. To her surprise, she couldn't find much besides expired canned goods and foods that weren't to her liking.

“How long ago did he buy these cans for them to be expired already?”

Finding a box of Cinnamon Toast Crunch, she retrieved a bowl from the cabinet and poured herself a serving. Marching towards the fridge, she picked up the carton of milk and and noticed the date, grimacing in disgust at how long ago it had perished, the visible curds of the rotten white liquid splashing up against the walls of the plastic container before it was tossed into the trash can. Her stomach churned, becoming upset at the sight.

“No milk then...” she whispered to herself in defeat, looking at the bowl of dry cereal in disappointment.

She looked towards the faucet and shrugged, bringing her bowl over and filling it halfway with water, her heart sinking at how depressing this was becoming. Sitting down at the table, spoon in hand, she picked up the bland flakes and stared at it for a good minute, watching as the cereal absorbed the water and became mushy and unappetizing.

She sighed before tossing that as well.

Brennan was no longer hungry.

Her feet dragged her into her room again, and she seemed to tumble upon her bed from exhaustion. Above her bedroom door hung a clock, one that she had never really taken interest in or given any attention to, and the only reason she did today was the fact it supplied the only sound in the room.

The repetitious tick of the clock making her aware of how slow time was passing by.

Tick...

Had she always felt so alone?

Tock...

Was being alone always this... lonely?

Tick...

If she were back in Seattle, she'd never feel like this.

Tock...

If she were back in Seattle... she'd still have her mom...

She flipped herself onto her back, staring at the ceiling as her mother's image entered her mind. She hadn't missed her this much since the accident, and she was regretting only thinking of her now. She hadn't in a while.

This time last year, they were in the midst of leaving for their annual Thanksgiving trip. While most families reunited at their relative's, as the pair only had themselves, they would opt for a small vacation and make the most of their days off. Last year they had gone to Las Vegas, this year... they had planned on New York.

Brennan supposed that she would have to wait a little longer to visit the Big Apple. Then again, without her mother, did she even want to?

She hadn't realized, but tears streamed down the sides of her face, her vision growing blurrier with every thought of her mother that came into her mind. She just missed her so much...

Her chest quaked, her lower lip trembled, and her eyelids scrunched themselves together tightly to prevent anymore tears from escaping – it didn't work.

“Mom...” she hoarsely whispered, voice cracking as she allowed herself to finally cry.

Her body rolled back onto her stomach, her face burying itself into the pillow, staining it with salty tears and letting muffled shouts of mourning escape her throat.

She cried and she cried.

She cried till it hurt. She cried till she could begin to feel her eyeballs swelling within her skull. She cried till her throat grew sore. She cried till it hurt her to breathe...

She cried till her phone began to sing...

Her sobs slowly muffled and her eyes opened, her once pristine, white sclera now bloodshot and riddled with visible veins, her irises glossy as they gazed at the phone upon her nightstand. She could see the name from where she lay – Jacob.

There wasn't any hesitation in her grabbing the phone and sliding the green button across the screen, although part of her wish there had been as she sounded as horrible as she must have looked, her voice giving a throaty greeting.

“Hello?”

Silence greeted her before a voice did.

What's wrong, Brennan?

She was stunned. She didn't really sound that bad did she? She pulled the phone away from her ear, staring at her dark reflection from the blank screen – no, wait, she did.

“Nothing, Jake,” she sighed. “What's up?”

Please tell me you don't honestly expect me to believe that, do you?” Jacob retorted, his voice stern but laced with concern. “What's up is that I'll be at your place in a few minutes.

Before she could get a word in edge-wise, the call ended, and she was left staring at her cell in an astonished reticence.

Brennan willed herself up, her body hunching over in bed as she tried to gather herself. She rolled off of the mattress and made her way into the bathroom, staring at her broken self. She was a lot worse than she had suspected – her eyelids were just as red as her eyes, hair askew and matted with dry sweat from crying so hard, and her cheeks were blotchy and slightly swollen.

Immediately she turned the faucet, chilled water stemming from the metal opening and splashing onto her waiting hands. Brennan wet her face, urging the effects leftover from her sobs to vanish so she at least looked normal. There was no way she wanted to be seen by anyone like this – least of all Jacob.

As she dried her face with a towelette, she could hear the doorbell sound off followed by incessant knocking and a shout, “Brennan!”

She took one final glance at her reflection, still unsatisfied, but thankful for some sort of improvement nevertheless, and headed downstairs. Her fingers touched the latch and undid the lock, the door swinging open with a slow croak.

Jacob's hands captured her own, tugging her towards him and enveloping her in a protective and supportive cocoon of warmth. “What's wrong, Brennan?” His husky voice questioned.

“Nothing,” she insisted, repeating their previous interaction from the phone.

He pulled away, the chilly November breeze nipping at her cheeks, and she realized just how secure he made her feel. “I told you I wasn't believing that, Bren. Talk to me, please,” he urged.

She wasn't sure what it was – whether it was the fact that she finally felt like she wasn't alone or that she just wanted to be held again, but she dove back into his arms, finding solace there once more. In that solace, she felt her guard drop and her emotions came to the surface anew, her tears now soaking the fabric of his black shirt.

Jacob didn't ask her for an explanation, he only tightened his grip upon her fragile form, rubbing her back in consolation, knowing that this would comfort her. He rested his head upon the top of her own, and she seemed to enjoy it as she buried herself further into his chest, her tears seeping through the fabric of his shirt and wetting his skin.

After a few minutes of a tight embrace, her grip loosened and she seemed to calm down, her face resting against his chest rather than in it.

“You don't have to talk if you don't want to,” Jacob husky voice breathlessly whispered. “As long as you feel better.”

Her head turned upwards, staring at the boy who was staring right back at her, his chocolate irises glinting with worry for her.

“Can we get out of here?”

“Wherever you want to go,” he insisted.

“Someplace quiet.”

Brennan returned to her room for a minute, picking up a set of house keys and locking the door before Jacob guided her towards his usual red Volkswagon Rabbit, ushering her into the passenger seat before sliding into the driver's side.

There wasn't a need for anything to be said between the two, Jacob guiding the vehicle down the roads of La Push while holding onto Brennan's hand with a tight hold, his thumb rubbing against the back of her hand soothingly. He only let go of her hand to take hold of the steering wheel when it came time to park.

Getting out, Brennan was quick to notice he brought them to First Beach, which was quickly turning into a spot for them apparently – not that she minded. The only thing she wasn't fond of in that moment was the temperature, the sea breeze bringing in more of a chill here than it was inland.

Jacob noticed immediately and went into the trunk of the car, pulling out an old leather jacket and placing it upon her shoulders before guiding her over the sand dunes and to a spot where they could sit.

The boy plopped down upon the sand first, his legs spreading open a bit before he gently yanked the brunette down between them. He took off the jacket from her shoulders, pulled her further into himself, and placed the jacket across her chest like a blanket – it protecting her from the front while he warmed her up from behind her.

Brennan couldn't believe how considerate of her Jacob always was. Even in this moment, as they sat upon the coast in silence, only the waves crashing and wind gently thrashing upon them, did she know he was communicating with her, telling her that it was fine, telling her to talk whenever she was ready to do so and not a moment before.

“I...” she started, her words almost swallowed up by the sound of the ocean, “I don't think I've ever felt that lonely in my life before.”

Jacob didn't respond or interrupt, only listened, pulled her in tighter, reassured her.

“This is the first time I feel that I'm by myself – without my mom. I know that she's been gone for a while, but... finally getting into the holiday season has really made me realize that she is gone. I'm never going to spend another holiday with her – go on holiday trips, open presents with her, or celebrate the new year.

“And even though I'm living with... my dad, it's not the same. If I'm honest, I barely talk to him – I hardly know him. I feel like I'm living with a stranger, but then again he's hardly home half the time or if he is, I don't even see him. I might as well be living on my own.

“I feel guilty – for a lot of stuff, even when the logical part of me knows I shouldn't. I feel guilty for feeling lonely because I know that I have you and everyone here, I know that lonely is the farthest thing that you want me to feel. But what I still feel the most guilty about is my mom's death, as if I was partly responsible for it – if I had just left earlier or called her at some other time we wouldn't have gotten into that accident. Then my mom would still be here.

“I'm sorry, I hate throwing myself a pity party.” She whispered, tears spilling over and falling from her reddening eyes.

Jacob sighed as he listened to her story, knowing that he could only do so much for her when he wanted to take away all the pain and uncertainty she had within her heart.

“Don't ever think that you're acting pitiful, Brennan. Your mother died, and you have every right to feel sad about that – no matter how much time has passed. I still feel that way about my own mother.” He insisted, using his thumb to wipe away a few tears he could see. “And it's okay to feel lonely every once in a while. You don't have to be strong all the time or feel like things are okay. That's part of the process. And it sucks, but things take time to get better. Even if you feel like you have no one to rely upon, know that I'm going to be here for you – always, no matter what.”

“Jacob,” she blubbered out.

He hugged her tightly. “Remember that. Come to me. No matter the problem – big or small, no matter what time of the day – you can call me at three in the morning or during school, and no matter for what – be it a broken nail or something more,” at the mention of a broken nail, Brennan smiled through the tears and hit his leg playfully, the boy grinning at her reaction, “count on me to be there for you.”

Brennan rolled her head back and to the side, getting a glimpse of the tanned boy behind her, who gazed right back at her with a sense of conviction in his eyes and... something else...

She didn't dare think it to be yearning...

Not until he languidly leaned down, his hot breath falling upon her face, his eyes closing as he brought his round lips to her own, allowing their flesh to meld together in a fever of desire. Her eyes remained open, her copper gems that acted as an oculus taking in the features they could, burning the image of this moment into her mind, closing once his tongue swept across her bottom lip, her mouth responding and meeting him halfway.

Never before had she felt so... bare, so pure. It was as if the heat from his lips, his body, his touch was burning her – burning her into a new existence, creating her anew to write her into her own once more.

Jacob could feel her breathing falter, her heart palpitate unsteadily, and her fingers lose their strength as they stopped gripping his shirt. He pulled away from her, their breath still mingling as their lips began to swell from the friction of meshing together, their hearts beating erratically at the thought of rejoining them.

Jacob licked his lips subconsciously, tasting her salty tears upon them, and trying to control himself from losing himself to her appeal. It hadn't been right of him to take advantage of her with a kiss when she was feeling helpless, but he knew that the feelings between them were genuine when she had responded in such an urgency. Nevertheless, he knew when it was time to reel it in...

“Brennan, know that I care for you,” he admitted breathlessly, “I always will.”

Before she could utter a word in response, a howl rung throughout the area, Brennan jumping slightly and sitting upright at attention. “Are there wolves around here?”

Jacob grimaced at the thought of his pack brothers having seen what had just transpired. He was going to get an earful from them later while on patrol.

“Yeah, and they can be a real pain in the ass.”

“Do they attack people?” Brennan jumped to conclusions.

“No, no...” Jacob insisted, “they're just annoying – they're more like a bunch of damn hyenas.”

Brennan got up from the ground and dusted herself off, Jacob following suit as they headed back towards the car. As Jacob opened up the door for her, he watched her slide in before kneeling down beside her door.

“Brennan, why don't you come over to Emily's right now? She's making a lot of food tonight and I don't want you going home to be alone tonight.”

Her heart twinged at the thought of being alone, especially after having just been so close with Jake. That was the farthest thing she wanted right now. And she didn't hesitate in letting that be known.

“Let's go then.”

Jacob gave an infectious, lopsided grin, jumping up and closing the door for her before practically jumping over the hood of the car and starting the engine. The two of them heading down the forest-lined roads of La Push towards Emily and Sam's.

Image


She watched later that night as Jacob's car drove down the street and out of sight, leaving her in front of her house with his jacket still draped about her. She was so preoccupied with watching him leave that she hadn't taken notice of Andrew's truck parked ruggedly in the driveway.

She unbolted the door with her key, and entered the house, the darkness that enveloped her almost suffocating her with anxiety. However, it was when she noticed that the television in the living room further down the hall was on did she become truly unnerved. She made her way over, the television's reception going from a gritty image to static every few seconds, and as she reached towards the remote, the sound of a beer bottle rolling across the floor snapped her to attention.

Spinning around, she met Andrew – hair and clothes disheveled, breath smelling of alcohol, and eyes as bloodshot and glazed over as hers had been earlier that day. The only difference between the father and daughter was that Brennan had been sober, and Andrew, was clearly not.

“Where the hell do you think you've been, huh?” He barked, his brow furrowing angrily and eyes narrowing suspiciously.

“I-I was out with a friend,” she stammered, having to remind herself to breathe in before being able to to talk.

No, you were with a guy.”

“His name is Jacob...” her voice trailed.

“I couldn't give a shit what his damn name is!” He bellowed at her, grabbing her shirt by the collar and tossing her to the side like a rag doll, back out into the hall. “Get to your damn room and stay there! The last thing I need is for you to get knocked up like your damn mother while you're in school!”

Brennan managed to catch herself before she collided with the hallway wall, staring back at Andrew in shock and trepidation. It didn't take her long to be in her room, her feet having her bound up the staircase and fingers making sure to lock the door behind her.

As she stood in silence, she fell against the door, sliding down towards the floor as her heart rate returned to normal and her mind settled. Her legs pulled up into her chest, and she hugged them close to herself, her eyes watering for what felt like the millionth time that day.

She wished none of this had happened. She wished so much that she could be back in Seattle with her mother. She wished she could have still been living that carefree life with a parent who loved her, protected her, supported her.

As the tears cascaded down, her thoughts wandered to Jacob.

Her heart grew warm at the thought of him – the guy who cared for her so profoundly, and she knew that he was the only reason she knew she could get through this...

But still...

As much as her heart fluttered, she was worried.

With each step they took forward, it was as if they kept being sent back.

Was destiny getting jealous of them?