Status: Work in progress, feedback extreamly welcome

Silver Screen Romance

Chapter 1

The whole city was buzzing with excitement and pride. Last week Hollywood had confirmed the location for their next action movie; they had won beating out New York City and Chicago. Of course there were people who had their doubts, mostly the elderly who feared the city would turn to shit with Hollywood moving in for 6 months to a year. The young were running around like chickens with their heads cut off, since it was announced that the movie would need tons of extras.

Two young women had moved to the city two years ago, their parents had banded together and practically forced the girls out of their houses. The best friends now lived together in a small two bedroom town house roughly 4 blocks away from the old down town. It seamed like they were the only two people within the city that could care less about Hollywood coming to town.
Our story starts with the last week in May, the weather has finally started to turn warm.

“Ashley, move your ass it’s 9:50.” Leigh shouted looking at the clock on the microwave.

“I’m coming!” An answer came from the upstairs bathroom followed by the sound of her boots clacking on the tile as she rushed out.

At the top of the stairs, without giving it a second thought, Ashley slid down the banister. At the bottom Leigh was holding her purse out. She grabbed her purse and hit the floor at the same time. They both looked at each other for a moment before rushing out the door, Leigh locking it behind them.

The night was dark, but at least it wasn’t cold anymore. “Clickety clack, clickety clack.” Ashley sang along with the sound of her boots hitting the cement sidewalk, as they started their 4 block walk to work.

Leigh looked up at the sky and smiled. “Look theirs Jupiter and Venus.” She excitedly pointed.

Ashley glanced up. “Venus, named after the goddess of love.” She commented with a sly smirk.

“You would say that.” Leigh scoffed.

Ashley eyed her best friend, which was hard to do in the dark. “Jupiter, the gas giant.” She added, amused with herself for remembering something from science class.

They were only two blocks from work and had three minutes left to get there on time. “I don’t know why you insist on wearing heels. They just slow you down.”

Ashley raised an eyebrow. “Is that a challenge?”

“Take it as you will.” Leigh shrugged.

With the challenge set, they both began running down the sidewalk. It was a close race, but Ashley took the lead at last, however she soon stumbled in a crack, sending herself crashing to the concrete, tripping Leigh in the process.

“Was that crack always there?” Ashley wondered aloud.

“Depends. Where are we?” Leigh responded looking around as she laid dazed on the concrete.

Ashley got to her feet. “At work.” She laughed.

“Then it’s new.” Leigh raised a hand signaling for help.

Supporting each other they limped in through the back door. “What the hell happen to you?” Petey the delivery boy questioned. He had been sitting on a stool counting his tips while waiting for his shift to end.

Tammy appeared from the walk in fridge. “Are you kidding? They are always injuring themselves or each other.” She rolled her eyes.

“It was the crack.” Ashley protested jumping up on a counter.

“Damn thing jumped us.” Leigh agreed sitting on a stool.

“How many times do I have to tell you not to take drugs before coming to work.” Valerie nastily ridiculed.

“You don’t have time to stand and talk with us. I know you have to get to your other job on the corner.” Ashley commented.

“I’d hate for you to lose a client.” Leigh added.

“Oh snap!” Petey snapped his fingers. “Oh no you didn’t.”

“Shut up PBS.” Valerie glared.

The second shift manager Tina strolled into the back. “Second shift good job tonight, I’ll see you tomorrow.” She dismissed them before turning her attention on Leigh and Ashley.
“Third shift. Your late.”

Leigh checked her watch. “By a minute.”

“What are you gonna do about it?” Ashley hopped down from the counter.

“How about write you up? I am a manager.” Tina threatened.

“Don’t make me laugh. You’ve only got authority over second shift.” Ashley pushed past her.

“You could write us up, but why waste the time it’s just going to end up in the trash.” Leigh agreed.

Tina ignored their rude comments. “I checked off on your list what we’ve already done.”

“Kay thanks.” Ashley pulled her apron off her hook.

“The cash register is almost out of five dollar bills. Scottie will be bringing more in the morning.” Tina added before exiting out the back door.

“I swear were always out of something in the cash register.” Leigh threw on her apron.

“Maybe someone is stealing.” Ashley joked as she adjusted her pants.

“I wouldn’t put it past anyone.” Leigh agreed. “What are you doing?”

Ashley stopped her fidgeting and smiled. “I’m not used to wearing pants.”

“Lucky for you skirt weather is rapidity approaching.”

They had been at work for only an hour and already their rush of stoned teens had been in. “They came in rather early for a Thursday.” Leigh remarked as she cleaned the counter in the deli.

Ashley glanced at the clock. “Only by an hour.”

“I hear the cops are cracking down on curfew on school nights.”

“Like it’s going to do any good. Teens will do what they want.”

“As long as they don’t get caught.” Leigh agreed.

Ashley picked up a plate and brought it over to the deli counter. “You know I’m kind of surprised that Jace didn’t drop anything tonight.” She remarked grabbing a rag to wipe down the tables.

“That’s not a shock. After all you’re not in skirts yet.” Leigh grabbed the plate and set it in the dirty dish bucket under the counter. “But I heard Rob say thank you.”

“He speaks?” Ashley paused her cleaning. “I thought he was a mute.”

“A newt?” Leigh questioned with a hint of a British accent.

“Not a newt a mute.”

“Well it looks like he got better.”

Ashley began wiping the table once more. “Evidently he hasn’t killed all his brain cells yet.”
Once they had both finished cleaning up after the stoned teens left. It was time for them to start their cleaning checklist.

Let it rock by Kevin Rudolf filled the building. While they cleaned they couldn’t help but dance along with the music, shouting ROCK and throwing their hands into the air along with the chorus. As they got closer to the middle of the room they slid across the floor high-fiving as they slid past each other. By the time the song was ending they were in the middle of the room dancing and using the brooms as microphones. They were so caught up in the music that they hadn’t heard the bell on the door ringing signaling that someone had entered the building. They continued unaware of their new audience until the song ended and clapping began.

Confused and slightly embarrassed the girls paused the music and turned their attention toward the door to see who was clapping. Their eyes fell on two men who by all means weren’t bad looking. In fact the girls recognized them immediately, however they weren’t about to let them know it.

“Who are these people?” Leigh slightly whispered. “Coming in here interrupting our cleaning.”

“Must be new in town, after all how unusual for people to come in this late.” Ashley agreed.

“I bet their British, they look British especially the bald one.” Leigh slipped her shoes on. “You better put water on for tea.”

“I hate making tea, I always scald myself.” Ashley whined as she strolled over to her shoes. Since her boots were close to the men she kept a close eye on them.

“They look hungry.” She remarked pulling her boots on.

Leigh walked around the counter into the deli. “We’ve got plenty of corned beef.”

“Do British people eat corned beef?”

Leigh gave a funny look. “Why wouldn’t they? It’s delicious.”

The girls continued their conversation for another five minutes, until it became obvious that the men weren’t going to chime in.

“Well are you going to order something or just stand in our doorway all night?” Ashley finely questioned.

“So they do acknowledge customers.” The bald guy teased, his British accent very apparent.

“AH HA!” Leigh exclaimed pointing at him. “You are British.”

“Isn’t this a place of business?” The one with glasses asked annoyed, his own Australian accent leaking out.

“Obviously.” Leigh remarked slowly.

“What a silly question.” Ashley added.

“You sure aren’t acting professional.” The bald one accused crossing his arms over his chest.

Ashley cleared her throat and smiled sweetly. “Welcome to Seymour’s Coffee and Deli. I’m Ashley and I’ll be handling any drink orders you may be placing and that over there is Leigh, she will handle all the food. Please take your time to look over our menu before making a decision.”

“Was that professional enough for you?” Leigh asked leaning on the counter.

“That’s how you should greet all of your customers.” Glasses nodded happily.

The guy’s finally ventured further into the café so they could look at the menus.

“It’s common courtesy for one to introduce ones self after another has introduced themselves.” Ashley placed her hands on the counter and leaned forward. “Let’s start with you British.” Her smile was almost seductive.

“How many customers introduce themselves?” He challenged.

“Look we could stand here having witty banter all night, but obviously you came in here for something, so could you get to it so we can get back to our work.” Leigh interrupted.

“Because dancing around is such important work.” Glasses scoffed.

“It helps us keep these fantastic bodies.” Ashley stated and both girls hopped onto the counter posing.

“Right, I would like a medium black coffee and a corned beef sandwich.” British placed his order.

“Told you they eat corned beef.” Leigh smirked as she started the sandwich.

With a sigh Ashley got down from the counter and rang him up. “6.50 please.” He gave money and she gave his change before getting his coffee. She paused while reaching for a cup “Was that for here or to go?”

The guys glanced at each other and without uttering a word seamed to come to an agreement. “Here”

She grabbed a regular coffee mug and filled it before setting it on the counter and looked at glasses expectantly.

“What?” He questioned.

“Are you going to get something?”

“Medium mocha and a ham sandwich.”

“7.50”

With both men’s orders done they took a seat at a near by table. They began talking in hushed voices and kept glancing at the girls, who were doing the same thing behind the counter.

“I thought they weren’t supposed to be here for another few months.” Leigh stated.

“Who cares, they interrupted our fun time.”

“It’s very curious that they arrive in town in the dead of night when everyone thinks they are coming in a few months that’s all.”

“Well if I were famous I would move to a town before hand to let the people get used to it… you know in hopes things calm down and nothing to major happens while filming the movie.” Ashley turned around, her back facing the guys.

“Please, the people in this town will never get used to having celebrities walking around.”

“We could be nice and let them know.” Ashley stated. Something in her voice made Leigh eye her.

“However they did interrupt my dance time, so I guess they will just have to find out the hard way.”

“We might as well get some more cleaning done while they eat.” Leigh suggested.

“It wont be the same without music.”

“I’m sure they will be leaving soon enough.”

The girls went to their respective sections to do some light cleaning while they waited for the guys to leave. However they either cleaned outstandingly fast or the guys were eating exceptionally slow, because the girls were done cleaning their sections before the guys were ready to leave.

Without a discussion, the girls gathered their cleaning supplies for the windows located at the front, however to accomplish this they had to walk pass the guys.

“Do you think if they knew who we were they would treat us better?” British whispered.

“I find it rather nice, not being recognized.” glasses retorted.

Upon over hearing that part of their conversation the girls smirked and held their laughter in. “Were going to have to let them know somehow.” Leigh reasoned.

“When they leave and you lock the door.” Ashley agreed as they separated. Like with cleaning the floor they started at opposite ends of the room so they would meet in the middle at the door.

The men got to their feet and began walking to the exit.

“Thanks for coming in.” The girls chimed sweetly as the guys walked through the door.

Baldy turns around. “See its not that hard to be polite..” The door slams in his face and the lock clicks into place. “To customers.” He finishes stunned.

The girls smirking faces appear in the window. “So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, adieu.” They began waving. “Adieu, adieu to Worthington and Statham.”

The guys stared slack jawed. A look of utter confusion and disbelief apparent on their faces.
Leigh tips her imaginary hat. Ashley raises her arm into the air the cd remote located in her hand with a wink she presses play and music once again begins blaring through the building.

The girls dance away leaving the guys locked outside watching them through the windows with the knowledge that the girls had known who they were when they had first walked through the door.