Status: on hiatus (1/5/2018)

When Hearts Collide

Keep Your Paper Heart Away From Me

The parking lot of Josie's Bar and Grill was full that night, an unsurprising and common occurrence. Charlie reflected fondly on her memories of malt milkshakes and fresh french fries from Josie's. She would spend almost every other night at the grill come summertime - especially once Jamie got a part-time job dish-washing in the back.

It was the hot spot in town; the place where everyone knew everyone.

Charlie hopped out of the truck, shutting the door behind her. She followed closely after her father into the restaurant she used to know so well. Inside, she wasn't surprised to find that the decor remained the same. The retro decorations and memorabilia from the past still hung on the mint green walls; a large jukebox off to the right played classic rock tunes and malt shoppe favourites.

"Bill, how's it going?"

Charlie looked up as they were greeted by an older, but familiar waitress; her auburn hair was tied up, streaks of silver peaking through. Her blue eyes were dolled up with make-up while her lips were painted red. She smiled sweetly, peering at Charlie. It was then that her smile fell slightly, into a look of disbelief.

"Is that.. are you... Charlie?" The waitress sputtered. "Little Charlie Briggs?"

"You remember Sue, don't ya?" Bill laughed, wrapping his arm around his daughter's slender shoulders, pulling her into his side.

"Yeah, of course," Charlie smiled. Sue had been working at the bar and grill since Charlie had been a little girl.

"You back for the wedding?" Sue asked, her smile returning to her face. She grabbed two menus from the hostess station, waving for Bill and Charlie to follow.

"Yeah, I'm in town for the week," Charlie told her, voice raising slightly over the chaos of the diner.

Sue lead the pair to a booth near the jukebox. She placed a menu down on either side of the table, leaning against the booth as Charlie slid in. Her Dad slid in across from her, taking the menu in his hands.

"Well... hopefully, our paths will cross again," Sue grinned. "You look great, girl. California's been real good to you."

With a wink, she turned and headed off to the back kitchen. Charlie released a long sigh, turning her attention to the laminated menu before her. Most of the items were the same, with the exception of a few new additions. She was surprised to find a salad on the menu - not to mention a veggie burger.

"Looks like I'm getting the usual," Bill sighed, setting down the menu. "Bacon double cheeseburger with some of those famous fries."

"Some things never change," Charlie muttered, flashing her father a coy smile from across the table. Her eyes returned to the menu. "Y'know... I might try the veggie burger... see what that's about."

"Veggie burger?" Her father's nose crinkled.

"With fries and a chocolate shake... of course," She rolled her eyes.

"That sounds more like my girl," He laughed. "You wanna beer?"

"Sure, yeah," Charlie shrugged. The last time she'd visited Josie's, she was still too young to drink legally.

As Sue came back around to take their orders, Charlie found her eyes and attention wandering. She looked from table to table, recognizing a few faces from her past. Some of the guests, she'd even attended high school with - but none of them seemed to really notice her. Of course, Charlie had never really been one to stand out among the crowd; in high school, she had blended into the background. In Hollywood, it was one in the same.

With a sigh, Charlie slumped into the booth.

".... also, better throw on another bacon cheeseburger and fries," She caught her father saying. "Caleb should be on his way."

"You got it, boss," Sue grinned, flashing the pair a smile as she returned her note pad to the pocket of her apron. "I'll be right back with your drinks."

As Sue disappeared from the table, Bill turned his fullest attention to his daughter sitting across from him. He cleared his throat, capturing her attention.

"So... honey... how has the west coast been?" He asked. "What are you up to out there?"

"Oh, uh..." Charlie shrugged. "I've been... serving. I've got a few jobs on the go.. at a coffee shop, and at this... fancy ass, black tie restaurant. It's a bit of a drag, the hours are long... but it... somewhat... pays the bills."

She skimmed over the details of her incredibly part-time serving gig at a downtown gentlemens club.

Bill frowned.

"You're not.... acting?"

"No," She sighed, shaking her head. Charlie combed her fingers through her hair, sun-kissed from the California sunshine. "I mean... I gave it an honest effort, but...."

"You living on your own?" Her father asked, sounding concerned.

"Yeah," Charlie nodded.

"Seeing anyone?" He asked, eyebrows raising.

Charlie scoffed, shaking her head.

"No... no, I.... I really haven't had much luck in the dating scene," She confessed. "Most of the guys out west are.... well... pretty shallow."

"So... what you're saying..." Bill smiled. "Is... you don't like your job, you're living alone... and you can't find a man?"

"Basically," Charlie laughed.

"Honey... why haven't you just come home?"

She looked at her Dad, unsure of how to respond. Before any words could escape her, Caleb appeared suddenly at the side of their table. He looked cleaner, having showered and changed into a pair of fresh jeans and a clean t-shirt. He squeezed himself in beside Charlie, forcing her to move over.

"Sorry I'm late," He laughed. "Got held up at the shop."

"Something wrong?" Their father asked, looking worried.

"No, no," Caleb waved him off. "Just... goofing off with the guys."

"Ah," Bill laughed.

Sue returned with their beers, carefully setting down the drinks before each of them.

"Susan," Caleb greeted her with a shit-eating grin. "Always a pleasure."

"Where's your better half?" Sue fired back.

"Which one?" Caleb laughed. "Heather... or Jamie?"

Charlie looked to her brother before finding her eyes falling to the tabletop. She figured that Caleb was close with Jamie, given that he had asked him to be his best man. However, it was still surreal for her to picture it. It seemed as though her absence only brought them closer together.

"Ha-ha," Sue gave Caleb's shoulder a gentle slap. "I'll be sure to let Heather know she's got competition."

"She already knows," He shrugged it off. "Bros before--"

"Don't you dare," Sue scolded, receiving a laugh from Caleb. She looked to Charlie, giving her head a shake. "I swear, I don't know where this one gets it from. You were always the sweetest girl."

"Hey, I'm sweet," Caleb defended.

"You know what they say," Bill chuckled. "Sugar and shit both attract flies."

Sue left the table in stitches, while the Briggs family turned their focus to their drinks. Bill was the first to raise his glass, his kids following his actions.

"I just wanna say... how happy I am to have both of you here," He smiled. "Charlie, it's so good to finally have you home. And Caleb... we're getting closer to your big day. I couldn't be more proud of you both."

The three clinked their glasses together in cheers. Charlie was grateful for that first, refreshing sip of her beer. It went down smooth, enticing yet another quick sip.

As her brother and father began discussing matters from work, Charlie excused herself to the washroom. Her eyes wandered around the restaurant, taking in a few more familiar faces from the past. She darted into the bathroom, heading straight for the mirror. She fixed a few strands of hair that had fallen out of place, as well as reapplied some lip gloss to her soft lips.

Charlie stared into her honey brown eyes, unable to shake the feeling of discomfort in a place that once felt like her second home.

She pulled open the bathroom door and began making her way back to the booth. However, as she looked up, Charlie found herself staring into a very familiar set of brilliant blue eyes - eyes that seemed to recognize her immediately.

Jamie stopped mid-stride, frozen in place. Mirroring his actions, Charlie also felt herself stop, feet failing to function. Her heart was hammering in her chest while her breath hitched in her throat. The energy in the room was intense, leaving her feeling hot all over and trembling. Though it seemed weird to keep staring at a distance, Charlie couldn't move or look away from Jamie. Like a deer in the headlights, she waited for him to make the first move.

He looked different, yet nothing had changed. His hair was longer, his shoulders had filled out, and his arms were covered in tattoos. However, he still sported the same Levis and a band shirt, in classic Jamie style.

It wasn't until Jamie finally broke eye contact that Charlie remembered how to breathe. She watched as he turned away, heading straight for the bar, turning his back to her. Charlie swallowed hard and returned to the booth, finding her brother and father still rambling on about parts and business.

Caleb's phone buzzed against the table, alerting him of a new text message.

"One sec," He told his father, opening his phone to read his message. Caleb looked up, eyes wandering over to the bar. "Ah.... fuck."

"What?" Bill asked, eyebrows furrowing. Charlie already had a good idea of what the message was regarding.

"I'll be... back," Caleb grumbled, sliding out of the booth.

Charlie downed the last half of her beer, wiping off her lips with the back of her hand.

"Are you okay, kiddo?" Her father asked. "You look.... a little pale."

"I'm fine," She lied. "But... I could use another drink."

"Say no more," Bill laughed, taking the empty pint glass from his daughter. He grabbed his own empty glass and slid out of the booth, making his way to the bar to order another round.

Charlie was afraid to look over at the bar, knowing well enough that Jamie was staring daggers into the back of her skull.

She cradled her head in her hands, stomach sinking with regret.

"Charlie?"

Upon hearing Sue's voice, her head snapped up. Luckily for Charlie, Sue was placing their plates of food down on the table. However, the look on Sue's face was that of concern.

"Honey, are you okay?"

"Yeah, just..." She shrugged. "Relishing in the joy of high-school heartbreak."

Sue smiled sympathetically, knowing well enough what she was referring to.

"Y'know, sometimes things have a funny way of working out..." The waitress assured her, placing her hand delicately on Charlie's shoulder. "You might be surprised."
♠ ♠ ♠
Title Credit: Paper Girl - July Talk