Status: on hiatus (1/5/2018)

When Hearts Collide

Going North With My Point Of View

After another two hours of driving, Charlie was relieved to see the Grand Marais town sign as they passed by. She was ready to stretch her legs and eat something more sufficient than the stash of barbecue sunflower seeds in her brother's truck.

"You want me to drop you off at home?" Caleb asked. "I gotta take the truck back to the shop."

"Yeah, sure," Charlie nodded. "I could use a shower and some food."

"I'm sure Dad will want to take us out for dinner," He reminded her with a laugh. "Tonight is somewhat... monumental."

"I guess," Charlie shrugged it off.

Taking a left off of the main road, Caleb drove the flat-bed down a long, familiar gravel driveway. On either side, abundant fields of vegetables and fruit trees grew vibrantly, soaking up the last bit of sunshine for the day.

At the end of the driveway, an old farmhouse stood proud. Recently renovated, Charlie hardly recognized the new grey siding and cornflower blue shutters of her family home. There was a beautiful garden landscape newly installed in the front of the house, complete with a white, lattice arbor wrapped in ivy and a wrought-iron bench.

Caleb slowed the truck to a stop, plucking the keys from the ignition. He swung open his door and jumped out. With a sigh, Charlie followed his lead. She met him around the side of the truck-bed, taking her luggage as he passed it to her off of the deck.

The sound of the cherry red screen door slamming shut startled Charlie, causing her to turn and look to the house.

"Well... hey there, stranger," Her father chimed, crossing the gravel driveway in his bare feet, as per usual. Bill Briggs was wearing the same denim cut-offs that he always wore, as well as the same, cut-off Briggs Boys t-shirt that he normally sported. His salt and pepper hair was long, nearing his mid-back, and was tucked away under a backwards Minnesota Wild baseball cap. A full, bushy beard hung from his chin, streaked with strands of silver.

Her father walked over, his arms outstretched. With a smile, Charlie jogged over to meet him, closing the gap. She was engulfed in his bear hug embrace, the familiar scent of Old Spice tingling her nostrils as she buried her face into his barrel chest.

"It's so good to have you home," Her father told her, planting a soft kiss on top of her hair.

"It's good to be home," She sighed, lifting her gaze to meet her father's honey brown eyes that mirrored her own. There were tears welling in his eyes, but Bill didn't let himself cry so easily. With a smile and another tight squeeze, the tears had become a layer of mist.

After pulling away reluctantly, Charlie returned to the truck to grab her bags from the ground.

"Dinner later?" Caleb called across the yard to their father. In return, the older man shrugged his shoulders and nodded his head, long hair bobbing in the gentle breeze.

"Josie's for... say... nine?"

This time, Caleb nodded.

Charlie hauled her bags toward the farm house, following after her father. Caleb, on the other hand, returned to his truck. He started up the engine with a roar, beginning to maneuver his way back down the narrow driveway toward the road.

Once inside the house, Charlie could see that more updates had been made. The kitchen, once a pale blue, was now a loud, vivid orange. It was a bit unlike her father to choose such bold colours; however, it seemed to go well with the newly renovated, chestnut stained floors and stainless steel appliances. A brand new, granite counter-top had been installed, bringing some grounding energy to the brightly painted room. Fresh flowers sat in a vase on the kitchen table, plucked fresh from the garden that morning. With a deep inhale, Charlie turned to her father.

"You've done a lot with the place," She observed.

"It needed a bit of a face-lift," Her father explained with a shrug. "Especially if I ever hope to sell the place."

"Sell?" Charlie's smile fell. "Why would you ever sell it? What about... Caleb?"

"Caleb and Heather bought a place of their own last winter," He told her with a half-hearted smile. "It's just been me, myself, and I here for the summer and.... let me tell you, between work and farming... this old man just can't catch a break."

Bill did have quite a lot on his plate. The expansive property was rich with produce and gardens that required routine maintenance, not to mention he was still in charge of Briggs Boys auto-shop.

"I mean, the boys are great at the shop," He assured her. "Caleb is already in charge of towing, and, soon enough, Jamie will take over the mechanic bay. I don't have to worry too much when I'm gone."

"Right," Charlie nodded, feeling anxiety trickle down her spine at the very mention of his name.

"Anyway, let me show you your room," Her father changed the subject, turning on his heel and leading her upstairs. "I'm sure you remember where everything is."

As Charlie climbed the stairs, she admired the photos hanging on the wall to her right. Many of them had been hanging there since she was a little girl; however, a few new frames had been added, including an engagement photo of Caleb and his bride to be, Heather.

Once on the second floor, Bill showed Charlie to the door at the end of the hall.

"Bathroom on the right, and your room.... is here,"

She smiled upon stepping into the room, noticing that - aside from the paint on the walls and an update in furniture - nothing had changed. The same collage of photos was hanging on the wall, made up mostly of memories of her and Jamie. With a sigh, Charlie tossed her bags onto the bed. She began fidgeting nervously with the ring around her neck as she crossed the room, standing directly in front of the collage.

"I'll leave you to it," Her father told her. "We'll be heading out in a half hour or so."

"Right," Charlie murmured, eyes fixed on photo of her and Jamie at his cousin's wedding, just after they had graduated high school. The couple looked so young, but so happy. Back then, Charlie sported her opal ring on her finger - not around her neck.

She barely noticed her father's exit, save for the soft click of the door as it shut behind him. The noise was enough to snap Charlie out of her daze. She turned her attention to her suitcase, beginning to rifle through her clean clothes for something fresh to wear to dinner. Though she had been hoping to sneak in a shower, Charlie knew she was pressed for time. Instead, she opted to wash her face, reapply her make-up, put on extra deodorant, and spritz her hair with dry shampoo.

She stripped out of her shorts and wrinkled t-shirt, pulling on a light, playful sundress and a faded, denim jacket. Charlie tugged on her white, low-rise Chucks and grabbed her purse, giving herself one last glance in the bedroom mirror before making her way to the stairs.

At quarter to nine, Charlie headed downstairs to join her father. He was lounging in his favourite recliner, catching up on sports highlights that he missed. Charlie was grateful to see that not everything had changed in the den. He looked up from the television as his daughter made her way downstairs, a smile finding its way to his lips.

"Don't you look purdy," He chimed.

"As long as I look nicer than I smell," Charlie retorted, causing her Dad to chuckle with laughter.

"I got some Old Spice, if you want," Her father suggested jokingly, heaving himself out of his chair and onto his feet. With a smile, Charlie shook her head. It was then that she noticed he had changed into a pair of cargo shorts and a hunter green polo for the occasion.

"Thanks, but no thanks, pops," She laughed.

Bill pulled on his Wild hat, fixing his long hair from underneath.

"So... this mean you're ready to go?"

"Ready as I'll ever be," Charlie nodded, feeling her stomach gnawing. She couldn't wait to indulge in some of Josie's famous, hand-cut fries. It had been far too long since she'd tasted french fries like the ones back home. Her mouth was salivating at the thought.

"Then let's goooooo," Her father sung, grabbing his keys from off the key rack.

Charlie followed her father out of the house, waiting at the bottom of the porch steps as he locked the front door after them. She trailed behind as they made their way over to his updated pick-up truck. The new Chevy was bigger than the last, Charlie noticed. She climbed into the passenger's seat with a grunt, fastening her seat-belt while her father shifted the truck into reverse. The interior still smelled brand new.

The truck lurched to a stop, giving Charlie an opportunity to admire the new gardens out front of the house in the fading, evening sun. She took in the arbor and the wooden bench, noticing a small plaque on the bench that she missed upon arriving.

"I like what you did there.... with the bench," Charlie told her father, looking over with a smile. "It looks great."

Bill paused, taking a moment to appreciate the garden before shifting the truck into drive. He smiled, nodding his head, eyes fixed on the gravel driveway.

"Yeah, y'know.. your mother was always asking for one.... I figured it was long overdue,"

Feeling her throat tightening, Charlie simply nodded, not looking to take the conversation any further. She turned her attention out the window, admiring the slowly setting sun in the horizon.
♠ ♠ ♠
Disclaimer: I've never been to Grand Marais, Minnesota. I've never been to Minnesota, period. So all of the places I'll write about, much like the characters, are entirely fictional. However, it just seemed like a suitable setting for the story.

As always, I love receiving feedback. It helps me improve my writing and gives me more ideas for the future chapters to come! Depending on how today goes, I may post another chapter before the day is done :)

- M x

Title Credit: American Draft Dodger in Thunder Bay - Sam Roberts Band