Status: In Progress

Our Story

Morning Wake Up

I awoke the next morning slightly light-headed though I was feeling much better than yesterday.

“Good morning, My Lady.” A small voice flitted into the room. I looked up to see Taran.

“Taran! I'm glad to see you. You are looking well. I feared Talc would have scared you off.”

Taran looked down clearly still frightened. She barely looked up at me, “Thank you, My Lady, for defending me. No one has ever done that before.”

I nodded understandingly, “Was your master cruel to you?”

Taran was a city elf. That usually meant either alienation or slave. I took a gamble and guessed slave.

“No crueler than others. We get a slice of bread and some gruel for the day. Sometimes, if the master is in a particularly good mood, we get a slice of an apple.”

I raised my eyebrow to that, “Only a slice?”

She nodded. Feeling sorry for her, I glanced at the plate of food she brought in. “Will you care to join me for breakfast?”

Shock fell across her face, “Oh no, My Lady! I'm unworthy of sitting at the Herald's table.”

I rolled my eyes slightly, “Taran. My name is Ayla. And I am NOT the Herald of Andraste. I'm only me. I know only one person here. You met her yesterday. Although I can assure you, you met her under odd circumstances.”

“How are you not the Herald of Andraste? Everyone is calling you that.” She asked nervously.

Sighing again, I walked closer to her and grabbed her hand. Making sure to give her eye contact, I said, “I'm just a normal elf seeking companionship for breakfast. I wont hurt you. I promise.”

I could see a small tear welling up in her eyes. She smiled and sat down. I smiled warmly and sat next to her.

Reaching over to the plate, I grabbed the apple. “You have been so kind to me, you more than deserve a whole apple.” I took out the knife and carefully sliced it for her.

The look on her face was priceless. I think I'd finally broken through to her. I was here as a friend, not as some lord and master.

We both smiled and dug into our food.

We talked in polite conversation. I asked her about her home and family.

Soon the food was gone. I got up to stretch my aching muscles.

“Well Taran, I do believe I have a sleeping Qunari to awaken.” giving a sly wink to her, “I'll most likely live.”

Taran gasped and placed her hand to her mouth.

Realizing that she wasn't quite used to my humor, I quickly back peddled. “I was only joking I swear! Talc and I made up. Dont worry!”

She seemed relieved at this and stood to take the plates away. I gave her my thanks and wisked out the door ready to greet the day.

I was so not going to get used to that blast of cold air. A shiver went down my spine and I turned my way up towards Talc's cabin. I had left her out of plenty of things already and she was none too pleased. I wasn't going to do that more than I had to. And if the council was pissy about that, then they would just have to deal with it.

I snapped out of my thoughts as I reached her door.

Taking a firm grasp of the door, I unceremoniously flung it wide open. “Gooooood morning...” I paused, “Suuuuuunshine!”

Talc groaned in frustration and stuffed her head under the pillow. I heard the fabric rip as her horns glided effortlessly through the layers of fabric and feathers.

I snickered and waltz up to the slumbering corpse. “I saaaiiiiid.” inching closer, “Gooooood mooooorning Suuunshiiine!”

She swatted at me with little effort.

I grinned, “Awww, did we have trouble sleeping last night? Mattress not fluffy enough for you? I know, it was the itchy scratch wool blankets. I wonder how did you sleep with those things growing out your head... musta been terrible awkward.”

“Go away before I murder you...for realsies...”

This didn't have her desired effect though. It only encouraged me all the more! “Ack! She lives!”

I laughed again and sat down on the bed next to her. I only had a tiny spot to put my butt though. She spanned the entire length of the bed.

Cackling a bit, I poked her in the arm. “I saaid, Get up! We got work to do!”

She pulled away and booty-bumped me off the tiny spot of bed I had claimed.

“Tsk tsk Talc this will never do.” With a glint of mischief in my eyes, I stood up on the bed and collapsed myself onto Talc's back.

“Ya know Talc, all this added muscle really does make quite the nice pillow. Although, it does nothing for your boniness.” I shuffled around hoping to find a more comfortable position. I had nowhere to put my head and I glanced around.

Oh, I'm so evil.

I shuffled backwards until my head reached Talc's horns. I gently lowered my head between them until it was nestled quite comfortably.

Talc still didnt move. So I squirmed around some more hoping to get some sort of rise. Talc was being most uncooperative. Alright... time to pull out the big guns! I raised my hand in the air and pretended to take off invisible gloves.

I reached over and began furiously tickling Talc's ribcage.

“Argh!! Melina Stop it!!” She arched roughly against my touch but couldn't stifle a laugh.

“Get up Talc!” I said as I flipped around digging my knees into her back and began attacking both sides of her body! Talc finallly obliged and flipped onto her side desperately trying to escape my probing fingers.

“Alright! I'm up! I'm up! Stttoop it!” She turned to me with a look of true pleading. I smiled at my victory but still lay straddled atop Brooklyn. I let out a breath and started laughing as well.

I shouldn't have let my guard down. In one foul swoop, she threw me off, got up out of bed, and plucked me into her arms.

“Ah! Talc! What are you doing?! Put me down!”

“Nope! You've had this coming.” She marched out her door and turned to the side of her cabin. My eyes widened as I saw what laid next to it. A massive snow drift had piled up. Certainly big enough to bury me.

Realization dawned on me and I looked into Talc's face. “Don't you dare.”

Talc smiled in mischief and threw me into the snow! I stuck half way down into the drift and was covered up to my shoulder blades.

“Cold cold cooooold!!” I shouted and tried to wriggle myself free. I got one leg loose before I turned to look at Talc. I glared at her and then grabbed a pile of snow and tossed it at her. It hit her dead in the face! I cheered my small victory won!

The look of mischief was still on her face. I was not going to like whatever came next. She looked up to the roof of her cabin and snaked an arm up. She was tall enough to reach the roof easily.

Confused, I stared at her. Then a second arm reached up. Not even a second later a new wave of snow fell off the building and smashed on top of me. Leaving nothing but my freed toe twitching in the snow

Sputtering to get my mouth free of snow I shout out, “Taaalc! Get me out of here!!” I heard her clap her hand in satisfaction. “And let that be a lesson to you, M.”

From the distance I heard a low chuckle turn into a full bellied laugh. “Oh man! Life is never gonna be dull with you two is it!?”

“Shortcake! Ayla and I were just settling an argument.”

Still sputtering I manage to stick my head out of the snow. Varric stood over my icy coffin, a giant grin plastered to his face. “It wasn't an argument! You were too lazy to get out of bed!” I shouted at Talc as I manage to wriggle a hand free and then the second one. I started digging out my legs.

“Well, I guess you won the battle and lost the war.” He laughed again.

With my hands free, I balled up a snowball and beaned Varric in the face. “Be careful Varric or I'll cover you in so much snow your poor chest hair will freeze off.”

We all laughed. I managed to get my legs out when another snow ball smacked me in the face. I glared at Talc who pointed at Varric. Glaring at Varric, he pointed at Talc. Rolling my eyes I stepped forward. We each eyed each other like cowboys at a standoff.

All madness broke loose.

Talc was throwing snow snowballs at Varric. I was throwing snowballs at Talc. Snowballs were flying everywhere! I realized how badly I needed this fun.

In midst of all the snowballs being thrown I failed to hear the soft patter of feet down the stairs in front of Talc's cabin. I threw a snowball at Talc.

She dodged it easily enough, although it was now on perfect trajectory for an oblivious Solas. The loose powder compacted easily and fluffed around his bald head.

I couldn't fully stifle my laugh but I doubt he heard me as both Talc and Varric threw their heads back and roared with approval.

He took a moment to wipe the snow from his face and then threw a penetrating glare at Talc, the presumed offender.

"Qunari brute." He hissed

"You gotta problem, Keebler Elf?!" Talc hissed back

"Yo! Come down you two!," I shouted, putting a stop to their murderous staring contest. Solas flicked his eyes to me. I had to smile and shrug my shoulder. “Oops? Sorry Solas, it was me. I didn't see ya there.”

Defeated, he switched back to Talc. "And my name is Solas, Qunari. Best not forget it again." He said as he turned back to the road.

“You are outta line there Solas.” I threatened before Talc could mouth off again. He flicked his gaze to me once more before continuing down the path

Talc couldn't resist though. I heard her mumble something about baking cookies. I groaned and rolled my eyes.

I leaned up against the tree I had sought shelter behind. “Whatever, his loss then. Well, now that Mr. Kill-Joy has ruined our fun, we should get going.”

I took a stop forward when I felt a thread of magic snaking towards me. I looked around to see where it was coming from. I only just managed to see it snake up the tree and give it a mighty shake.

“Oh poop... not again!” I braced myself as an entire tree's worth of snow can crashing down on top of me. I heard his chuckle in the distance.

But I had more important things on my mind then being angry at him... like getting out of this snow drift before I freeze!

I heard Varric and Talc rush over and start shoveling snow.

“What is going on here? Where is the Herald!” A new voice entered.

“ And a 'good morning' to you too, TinTin." Talc muttered. I could almost hear her eyes rolling.

"The Herald! Now!" Cassandra demanded again.

"She ran to the woods," Talc lied, " had to save a kitten or something."

"What?! We dont have time for that!"

"Heroes right? Whatcha gonna do? If you hurry you can still catch her."

I heard Varric trying to swallow a laugh as Cassandra began to race away.

“I'm in here Cassandra!” I yelled frantically before she could get any farther down the road. Talc and Varric both groaned audibly.

“Herald!” She shouted and rushed forward to help dig me out.

"Almost rid of her." Talc whispered loudly to Varric, who was gasping for breath, dying of laughter.

"Children!" Cassandra cursed them, fuming . All three of them soon had me out of the snow. But I was left shivering up a storm

“I... think Id like to go... and change clothes now and.... have some.... breakfast.... Ssssssssshhalll I meeeeet you guysss in the tavverrn?” I said through chattering teeth.

Both Varric and Talc had the decency to look sheepish. Cassandra was just furious, “Go back and change and be quick Herald. We have many things to discuss.”

I nodded and went on my way to get changed.

Still shivering, I joined Talc and Varric for breakfast. I barely touched the food though, I was only there for the warmth of the fire and the warmth of seeing my friends well.

Talc and Varric bantered throughout their breakfast but I was content to just sit back and enjoy the show. My mind began to drift to what lay head and I soon zoned out. Warmth returned to my body quickly and I stopped shaking. Recovered enough, I invited Talc to join me and head back up to the Chantry.

We arrived to see a man in heavy armor and feathers circling his neck hammering what looked like an important notice to the doorframe. I spied Chancellor Billy Goat sulking in the distance before he turned and stormed off.

“You ready Talc? I have a feeling its gonna be a looong meeting.”

"You mean boring." she stuck out her tongue like she tasted something disgusting, "A whole magical world at your fingertips and you wanna play politics. You're such a troublesome brat.”

Varric laughed, “Trouble. I like it! The dynamic pair Sunshine and Trouble! Oh man my readers are gonna eat this up.” he pulled out a leather bound book and began scribbling in it.

Talc swiped at him, “Don't you dare use that name! I wont have 'Sunshine' be my legacy here.”

“Too late!” Varric sang as he danced away, keeping the book out of her reach.

I tugged on her arm before she could dash after him. She groaned and turned to follow me.
We strode into the Chantry ready to face whatever laid inside.