Status: in progress/frequent updates

You Haunt Me

ix. September 15th, 2011

John and Rae sat on his couch, his hands cupping her face as he kissed her.

"Did you have a good birthday?" he asked her, breaking the kiss.

"Well, it's not over yet," she pointed out. "I still have..." she stopped for a moment, her gaze flickering to the clock on his wall. "Almost three hours left."

He chuckled a bit. "I guess you're right."

"I'm glad I'm spending it with you, though," she smiled, her lips meeting his again.

"Me too," he mumbled against her lips.

She moved her hands to his head, clutching his hair between her fingers. He groaned, gripping her hips and pulling her onto his lap.

"John," she spoke, breathless as she pulled away. "I... I told myself I wasn't..." She trailed off before rephrasing. "I know I said that I wanted to take this slow, but... I'm... I'm really falling fast for you. I... I think I love you. Like, actually, love you.”

He shook his head. "Sweetheart-"

"You don't have to feel obligated to say it back," she laughed a bit. "I've always had a tendency to feel things a little too much."

He chuckled, kissing her. "No, I do love you too, Rae. Not just because of the obligation to say it back, but because I really do love you. But I’m sure that was obvious.”

She smiled a bit as she slid off his lap. “Maybe.”

"How about a celebratory drink," he spoke, standing up. "Hang on, I'll be right back."

She nodded as he went out to his kitchen.

He dropped down on the couch beside her. “Happy 23rd birthday to my favourite person on this planet,” he spoke, tilting the bottle toward her. She shook her head, and he shrugged, taking a sip right out of the bottle.

A slightly confused frown formed on her face as she watched him. "You're just gonna drink it right out of the bottle?"

He laughed again, shrugging. "Why not?"

"I don't know," she laughed a bit with him. "Fine... Can I maybe try it?"

He eyed her, trying to see if there was any indication that she was joking in her features. "If you want to, yeah." He tilted the bottle toward her for a second time, and she took it.

She hesitated for a moment, looking at it. "Umm..."

He chuckled a bit. "Just go slow, okay?"

She nodded, taking a small sip. She scrunched her nose, unsure of the burning sensation in her throat. She pushed the bottle back into his hands.

"You are so cute," he laughed again, taking another drink from the bottle.

She sighed, holding out her hand. "Here."

He raised an eyebrow at her. "Are you sure?"

She laughed, taking it from him. "It's my birthday and I just want to drink, okay? You know I never drink-“

“I think that’s obvious,” he chuckled.

"Hey!" she protested, but there was a smile playing on her lips.

"I love it. I love how innocent you are. It's so adorable," he leaned forward, kissing her lips.

"Uh huh," she mumbled against his lips, using her free hand to grip the back of his neck.
A little while later, she was beginning to feel the effects of the alcohol. He knew this, and he was trying to pace himself because he wanted to make sure he was sober enough if she did get drunk.

"Hey, John," she spoke, setting the bottle on his table as she climbed onto his lap, her gaze meeting his.

"Yes, Rae?" he responded.

A smile formed on her face as her eyes closed. "I love you."

He laughed for what seemed like the thousandth time that night. "I love you, too."

"I never wanna be without you," she spoke in a singsong tone, slurring a bit as she leaned over to grab the bottle again.

"Jesus, Rae," he chuckled, grabbing her wrist. "I really think you've had enough."

"Fine," she pouted a bit. "Kiss me, then."

He shook his head, leaning forward and pressing his lips against hers. He pulled away after a moment, and she frowned.

"Noo," she put her hands on his cheeks. "More."

"You're an affectionate drunk," he observed as she kissed him again. "I guess that's better than an angry drunk."

"I am not drunk," she retorted, pulling away and frowning at him.

"You're pretty drunk, Rae," he responded. "It doesn't take much when you never drink."

"Mmmmm," she mumbled. "Just kiss me, O’Callaghan."

"I'd love to," he replied.

Her hands suddenly moved to the bottom of his shirt, trying to take it off.

"What are you doing?" he asked, pulling away.

"I want... more," she slurred. "I want you."

"Hey, look at me," he put his finger under her chin. "We aren't... We aren't going to have sex, Rae. Not right now, at least."

"Why?" her tone was almost whiny.

"You're drunk," he reminded her. "We haven't even had sex while you're sober. I want you to be ready, okay?"

"I am now," she responded, her lips moving to his neck.

"Fuck, Rae," he breathed, sliding her off him. "You're only saying that because you've been drinking. Look, if you still want to in the morning, then we will, okay? You aren't in any state to be saying yes."
He knew chances were she wouldn't want to in the morning, anyways; she had been very steadfast in taking things slow, and she had made it pretty obvious that she wasn't ready to have sex with him yet. It wasn't that he didn't want to sleep with her, he just respected how she felt and he was so invested in their relationship that he didn't even mind that they hadn't yet. He just enjoyed being with her.

She sighed, her eyelids feeling heavy. She figured it was an effect of the alcohol. "Fine. I'm sorry."

He shook his head. "Don't be sorry."

"I'm tired now, anyways," she spoke. "I’m gonna sleep here, okay?"

He smiled slightly. "Of course. Come on."

He picked her up, carrying her to his bed and setting her on the end of it. After digging out a T-shirt from his drawer, he handed it to her. "You can wear this."

"Thank you," she stood up as best she could, going to slide her dress off.

"You're welcome," he turned away, and she giggled.

"You can look," she told him as she pulled the shirt over her head.

"Sober you wouldn't like that," he responded, chuckling.

"Drunk me would. I'm dressed now, anyways," she grabbed his wrist, turning him around.

He almost laughed out loud when he saw his shirt on her tiny frame. "God, you're so cute."

She smiled, standing on her tiptoes so she could kiss him. "You're kind of cute, too."

He shook his head, pulling her into the bed. "I don't even compare to you, though."

"Can you cuddle with me?" she yawned, ignoring his comment.

He complied, wrapping his arms around her as she rested her head on his chest. "I like it when you're like this. It's so nice."

"Shut up," she mumbled.

He chuckled, running his fingers through her hair. "Goodnight, Rae."

"Goodnight, O’Callaghan," she yawned for a second time, and it wasn't long before she passed out.