Nightmare

The Game Begins

“Thank you for coming round, Zack. I know you and Matt got a long well and I just-” Mrs Sanders’ eyes filled up with tears as she thought about Matt. It was a shock. Matt Sanders, Captain of the football team and all time popular guy, mysteriously disappeared about a few months ago without a trace. No ransom note, no signs of a break in. It was like one minute, he was there and the next he wasn’t. The police had searched everywhere and even had sniffer dogs looking for him but nothing was found and they had moved on, calling it a cold case. Then today Mrs Sanders decided it was time to give up on her son returning home and called me to help pack up his room. I was surprised when she did but apparently, she thought me and Matt are still friends. We weren’t. Not since he began to hang out with the school weirdo, Jimmy Sullivan, who severely bullied me.

“It’s ok, Mrs Sanders,” I smiled weakly. I wanted to tell her that Matt shoves me in lockers and threatens to beat me up to look cool in front of his new friend but she’s a mess and the last thing she needed was that so I smiled and headed upstairs. Matt’s bedroom was too quiet. There were posters of his favourite bands and his gaming console. I sighed and began to pack his clothes, wanting to get this over and done with. This was literally the last thing I wanted to do and I honestly couldn’t think how it could get any worst.

“Hey, Mrs S,” I froze up as I heard the voice of my tormentor float up. Jimmy Sullivan. I quickly opened the window. “Oh is he now?”

I looked out and saw it was quite the drop as I heard several people come upstairs. I began to climb out, only to be dragged back in and pushed onto the bed.

“Baker, you weren’t running away, were you?” Jimmy grinned evilly at me. I looked down.

“N-no,” I mumbled, quickly getting up and trying to head to the door. “A-Arin c-called me. I h-have to… g-go,”

I frowned as I saw Jimmy had brought back up. Johnny Seward and Brian Haner both blocked the doorway. I sighed defeated and turned to Jimmy.

“Why are you here, Baker?” He asked as the other two stepped in and closed the door. “Matt isn’t your friend anymore,”

“I’m here because his mom asked me to help clear his room,” I replied. Jimmy snored. “If you don’t believe me then ask her,”

“Johnny, go ask,” Jimmy ordered. Johnny glared at me and headed downstairs as Jimmy sat next to me on the bed, making me feel very uncomfortable. Brian just glared at me as they waited for Johnny to return. We heard muffled voices downstairs then Johnny came back up. “Well?”

“He’s telling the truth,” He reported, leaning back against the door. “She’s also thinks we’re his friends and she’s making cookies,”

“Oh great,” Brian rolled his eyes.

“Damn. Looks like you’re safe for now, Baker,” Jimmy smirked, harshly ruffling my hair, making me cringe. “Come on. Let’s go get cookies,”

With that, they all left and I let out a breathe I was holding in. I continued to clear up until Johnny and Brian came back into the room.

“You still here?” Brian sneered, looking round. “I don’t like it,”

“Too tidy,” Johnny added before frowning. “I miss Matt,”

“Yeah,” Brian sighed, pushing me aside. “He was cool. Man, I miss him as well,”

“Me too,” I mumbled. Both of them looked at me.

“What did you just say?”

“Nothing,”

“Tell me,” Brian growled, grabbing my arm and twisting it so it was half way up my back. I cried out in pain as Johnny grinned. “Or I’ll break your arm,”

“M-me t-too!” I gasped. Brian let go. “I said me too,”

Both of them looked at me confused.

“He was my friend once,” I mumbled, looking away and rubbing my arm. Jimmy walked in.

“Hmm looks weird,” He mumbled. “Oh look Matt’s Xbox. Wonder what he had on there!”

I sighed and got up as Brian and Johnny joined Jimmy as they checked out his Xbox. I went downstairs and grabbed an ice pack, placing it on my arm.

“You ok, Zack?” Mrs Sanders asked me. I nodded.

“Just hit my arm,” I replied before going back upstairs. I walked into the room, expecting them to laugh but to my surprise, there was no one in the room. I frowned and checked the cupboards, the bathroom and the wardrobe, figuring they were playing a prank on me but there was nothing. I sighed and went back downstairs.

“Did Jimmy, Brian and Johnny just leave?” I asked. Mrs Sanders looked at me and shook her head.

“I thought they were still upstairs,” She replied. I frowned and walked back up there.

“Guys.. this isn’t funny..” I stated but still no reply. “Seriously. Come out. You’ve had your fun,”

I walked back into Matt’s room and still nothing. I looked round and noticed Xbox was set up with four controllers on a game called Nightmare. I walked over and picked up one of them before looking at the screen. There were six characters. I moved closed, pushing my glasses up to read them.

“M. Shadows: Hail to the King… Synyster Gates: Gunslinger… The Reverend Thomolow Plague: Sidewinder… J.Christ: Sherpard of Fire… Colonel B.W. Thunder: Sunny Disposition… Vengeance: The Wicked End...” I read out. I tried to select them but the only one available was Vengeance. I bit my lip and looked around. What’s one play through? I pressed select then the screen melted into a scroll that had a skull with bat wings on the bottom. Writing faded onto the screen.

Nightmare.

A game for those who wish to seek
a way to leave life so bleak

Choose a character and complete the Quest
Or find yourself in Eternal Rest

Once all is well, you can leave the Game
by simply calling out it’s Name


The next thing I knew a bright light came from the screen then it turned completely dark…..
♠ ♠ ♠
So I may have watched the new and old Jumanji. The new one is very good. anyway... this... well it kind of happened because i imagined Matt having Bravestone's smoldering intensity....