Quiet

three

"Get back! I said get back!"

~~

"Her pulse is weak. Come on, let's get her on a stretcher."

~~

"Dyl? Dylan can you hear me?"

I slowly open my eyes to see my mother standing over me. My head pounds from a bright light. My eyes dart around the room. My father is standing on the other side of me, next to him is Kyra, my sister. I'm alive. A single tear falls from my eye.

"It's okay sweetie," My mother says, her hand softly brushing my hair. "There's some police here, they have some questions for you." Two police and a doctor stand in the doorway.

I shake my head no. I don't want to talk to them. I don't want to talk to anyone. I just want to die. Why didn't they let me die?

"They need to know who did this to you, Dylan." My father says softly, his warm hands holding mine.

I shake my head no again. My heart beats fast in my chest and the steady beeping machine quickens.

"Okay, she's not ready. This can wait." The doctor says, stepping forward and ushering everyone out of the room. "She needs rest."

Mom turns to object, but Dad pulls her along, shutting the door behind them.

"I told them it was too soon." She says, looking over the machines I was hooked up to. "I'm Dr. Henrickson." She says with a warm smile. She has dark brown hair, pulled back into a messy bun, and the warmest blue eyes. "How are you feeling?"

I go to speak but when I open my mouth, no words come out. I reach my hands for my throat, trying to feel what was wrong with me that was keeping me from talking.

"Hey, it's okay." Dr. Henrickson says, holding my arms. "Are you in pain?" I nod. "Okay," She says adjusting a machine.

"Do you know what happened to you?" She asks. I nod. How could I not know? "You were pregnant, but you knew this...you had a miscarriage." She says and reaches for my hand. I turn on my side, away from her. Just leave me alone. After a few long moments, Dr. Henrickson walks out of the room, the door shuts with a click behind her. I should've died, too.

~~

"Say something, Dylan! You need to talk to them, they're just trying to help you." My mother says. I stare at the wall behind her.

"Dylan, you need to tell us who did this to you so we can arrest them." The taller officer says. I adjust my gaze to meet his. It doesn't matter. Arresting them won't bring my baby back. "Do you know who did this to you?" I heard you the first time.

"Why won't you talk? Whoever did this to you needs to pay for their actions, Dylan, you need to tell us!" My mom shouts.

"I don't think yelling at her Sharon." My dad pipes up. Mom turns away from us, shaking her head.

"It's okay if you don't want to talk, you can write it down." The short, stubby office says handing his notepad and pen towards me. I slap his hand away, causing them to fall to the ground.

"Dylan!" Dad yells. I roll over. Please just leave me alone.

"Shit." Kyra says, staring at her phone. She was seated in the chair against the wall.

"Jesus, Kyra, watch your mouth." Mom snaps.

"I'm sorry! But you should see this." She says standing and holding her phone out towards Mom.

"Oh my God." Mom says covering her mouth.

"We should take this outside." The stubby officer says and they leave the room. Finally, some peace.