For the Cloak

Four - The Dragons

As I made my way back to the mountain we had crossed to get here I heard an ear-piercing scream come from behind me. As I had hoped Kodiak had thought I killed myself. I couldn't deny that I felt awful making him mourn me when I wasn't even dead but it was necessary, if I left with them just believing I had abandoned the stormcloaks then I'd never get to live in peace. Ulfric would never give up until he found me despite how obvious I had made my hate for him. I made one final glance back where I had abandoned Kodiak before continuing on my path. I kept walking until the piercing shout of the greybeards broke me from my trance. I look up at the sky expecting to see something, anything, but nothing was there. I don't know what I expected but you can never tell with those angry old men. I continue walking until a loud, thunderous roar came from behind me. I turn in time to see a large dragon land just feet from me, of course, I recognized this dragon, he was one I learned from but hadn't killed.

It breathed fire into the night sky, “Makoto The-Weary,” it spoke to me in dragon tongue.

I bow slightly, “Odahviing, what does this humble Khajiit owe the pleasure?” I ask as I look up at his massive head.

He chuckles, “as formal as always, I come on behalf of Alduin, there’s a new Dragonborn that he’s aware will be partnering with Greybeards, and we both know that despite what you tell yourself you are more an ally with the dragons than the humans after how you were and continue to be, treated by them,” he said.

I nod solemnly, “aye, it was you who saved me when I took the plunge from the mountain, and I will never forget that. What does Alduin need?” I ask as I jump up onto his back.

Odahviing looks back at me as we take off, “Alduin believes the new Dragonborn to be your friend Kodiak,” Odahviing said. I nod as I hold on.

“And he wants me to end him?” I ask part of me secretly hoping that this would not be the answer I thought it was.

Odahviing chuckles, “no young one, he wants that honor himself, your job is going to be helping Alduin learns the ways of the Dragonborn. It’s been centuries since the last then all of sudden there are now two. It has Alduin thinking that maybe you are meant to be on his side, so he sent me to recruit you,” Odahviing said.

I nod, it made sense in a way, what better method of taking down a Dragonborn than another Dragonborn? I look down as we enter Alduin’s realm and jump off his back. I approach Alduin carefully and bow my head in respect. Alduin beckons me to rise and I do so without hesitation. I look up at the massive black dragon of legend and in dragon tongue begin to speak.

“I’ll join your army, Kodiak is a friend that much is true, but I won’t let him ruin the dragons I’ve come to call my friends. I’m more advanced in the dragon tongue than that boy will ever be, please allow me, Makoto The-Weary to become your rider Alduin World-Eater and destroy the Dragonborn together,” I say as I bow once more.

Alduin chuckles, “I will allow it, but bare in mind that you are merely my servant and have no power above me,” he says as he looks down at me.

I nod, “I’m aware, I have no intention of overtaking you or harming you in any way, I am grateful you’re granting me such a luxury,” I say as I stand.

I took my spot next to Alduin and laid my head on his massive foot. I would get some much-needed sleep until the time to attack our next location was made known. I yawn as I wrap my tail around my body and close my eyes. Alduin was speaking to Odahviing as I fell asleep and as I fell into unconsciousness I could hear them exchange plans to attack Windhelm. I knew it should bother me that they were going to attack my home city and that Ulfric was at risk of being killed, but truthfully I just didn’t care anymore. Ulfric ruined me, and ruined any chance of a relationship between the two of us so regardless what happened I could not let myself get involved with him. I would not stand in the dragon’s way and that is a promise not only to myself but for them as well.