For the Cloak

Eight - Returning Home

I walk down the dark pathway to reach where Alduin awaited my report. He had heard of my injuries, and for once was actually concerned for my wellbeing. Although I admit I do not think he cared if I, personally, lived or died, more so that his one advantage over the rest of the world stayed alive. I was careless in what I had done for Ulfric and I knew now that things could never be the same with him as they once were. Seeing him again and feeling the emotions that I felt when doing so reminded me of that. I harbored too much anger and hatred for the humiliation he caused me in my own home to bother trying to rekindle that flame. I approach Alduin and kneel quickly before standing to face him once more.

Alduin leaned his head down to look at me, “I see your injuries are healing,” he said.

I held up my palm with healing magic floating in the center, “healing magic is the warriors best friend Lord Alduin,” I say before dispersing the magic.

He chuckles, “and Kodiak?” He asks.

I nod, “he’s as worthy as you suspected, and a natural born fighter. I suspect he will travel down many different and great roads as many others have before him,” I say as I look at the great black dragon in front of me.

He growls, “do you think he’ll pose a threat to our cause?” He asks me.

I nod again, “I do, yes,” I say as he roars.

I watch as Alduin stands infuriated, he didn’t like the idea that anyone could potentially interfere in their plans. In fact, he loathed the idea. I look at the dragons surrounding us, anyone looking at the dragons for the first time would never be able to see the fear they held for Alduin, but I knew better. These dragons feared the legendary World-Eater and as one of the first dragons in existence, they very well should. On the other hand, I held no fear for the legendary dragon, not because I didn’t believe the legends but because I did not fear death itself. Alduin could kill me and I would never bat an eye as I end up wherever it is that I would go, I would bask in the glory of death and the finality of it all.

Alduin looks down at me as he finishes his display of anger, “Makoto, I want you to return to Skyrim, and upon doing so I desire that you return to Ulfric. I’m aware that it is not as you please, and your relations with the Nords may not be as stable as they once were, but this would allow you to form a bond with Kodiak and eventually assassinate him as he sleeps,” Alduin said.

Although I did not like the orders, hearing Alduin tell me he understood what I was feeling made it easier for me. He knew I did not want to return to Windhelm, but we both knew that I could easily blend into the army as I once did and that would allow me the upper hand on Kodiak. I knew this was something that I needed to do to ensure that my lord would have his victory in this fight. Of course, there was also the problem of Ulfric, how would he feel when he realizes that I was using him to help the dragons destroy the world? Either way, I knew I had to do this as I turn to leave with Odahviing. Alduin asked for it and so it shall be.