Forest Fairy

Graveyard

Haley stood outside, at the graveyard's edge, uncertain as to why she had found her way out here on a school night. She could hear the backhoe digging a fresh grave and she knew exactly who sat upon the machinery. Isaac Lahey. She sits in front of him during their fourth period French class. It does not go unnoticed by her that he goes day by day in a routine and looks as if he is trying to hide something with his long sleeve shirts and pants. At least it seems like he has something to hide to her, maybe not to anyone else who did not notice Isaac that often. For some reason unknown to her, she felt the urge to protect Isaac Lahey.

He continued digging up the grave for Kate Argent's funeral tomorrow, not noticing the girl watching him from afar. Sighing, he stopped briefly noticing his black eye in the mirror. However, that’s not the only thing he noticed in the mirror, making him jump slightly, surprised. What he saw made his heart rate pick up. There stood the short brunette that sat in front of him in French, biting her bottom lip. Somehow, she could not only feel her heartbeat increase but she felt his as well. Walking closer to the hole he had been digging, she stood across from the boy she has been drawn to but knew not much about.

“What are you doing here?” Isaac questioned, trying to regain his breathing and heart rate back to normal.

“Sorry, Isaac, I didn’t mean to scare you,” she continued to nibble on her bottom lip, deciding on how to answer his question, because honestly she had no idea why she was here to begin with. “And I’m not quite sure why I’m here. I couldn’t sleep and went on a nightly walk, which led me here I suppose.”

For some reason, Isaac did not believe her. Even though for a second there, he was surprised that she knew his name to begin with. Not many people knew his name, even if he was on the lacrosse team at school, especially those of the opposite sex. She stood playing with the hem of her hoodie, debating with herself if she should ask how he got his black eye. It has not been the first time that she had seen him with one, but she never felt the urge that she did now to question how he received it. He sat watching her, taking in her nervous habits. He noticed she still had her bottom lip between her teeth and she continued to fidget with her hoodie.

Before either one could get another word out, they noticed a quick movement beyond a few trees in front of them, making both of their almost steady hearts pick back up. Haley could not quite put what happened next into words. A sudden gust of wind found its way across the field towards the movement behind the trees, making the trees nearby rattle as if they were in a bad storm. Isaac moved the backhoe around to see the outskirts of the woods with the lights, giving the teens a chance to figure out what was going on. Suddenly the backhoe began to rock, making both teens' eyes widen with fear. Haley took in the scene before her, noticing that if she did not move from her spot, she would be crushed by the top of the machine.
Not seeing much of an option, she jumped into the freshly made hole. Gasping, as the backhoe toppled, she found herself pressed against the side of the hole with Isaac pressing an arm against her body and him standing before her. They both stayed pressed up against each other in fear of whatever was outside would notice them and attack. Glancing to the top of the hole, they both took in the shadow jumping across the top of the backhoe several times before they heard what sounded like digging. Though, their fast beating hearts made it difficult to tell.

“Stay down,” Isaac panted softly in the neighboring girl's ear.

Isaac had already moved before Haley could question his urgency of her staying put. She took in his tall frame as he placed his hands on the edge of the hole's wall. He peeked over the edge, not believing what he was seeing in front of him. Something was digging up a grave some feet away, and fast. He noticed it looked human, but the rate they were digging, it could not have been. Noticing the thing had stopped, he gasped and fell back into the hole, knocking down Haley as he went and landing on top of her. He quickly got off her and onto the side, before crawling up against the opposite wall behind them, making her do the same. They both coward in the corner, before the outside digging stopped and became quiet. Some faint noises were heard and something lifted the backhoe off the hole, allowing the teens to see out.

They stared up from their huddled position to notice a man standing at the foot of the hole, staring down at them with a smirk. They took in his dark hair and leather jacket. Haley knew right away who stood there smirking at them. Derek Hale. She had heard a lot about him over the news about how he was wanted for several murders, including his own sisters, but was exonerated shortly after finding out it was Kate Argent. Isaac knew who Derek Hale was, but never thought he would run into him.

“Need a hand?” Derek questioned, his smirk widening at his next choice of betas.

Both teens breathed deeply, relief flooding through them, as Isaac stumbled back taking Haley with him. Derek held out his hand, motioning that everything was okay. Glancing at each other, he helped her stand up, and picked her up slightly by her waist, so Derek could grab ahold of her hand. She felt herself being lifted up as if she weighed nothing. Haley looked back over to the boys behind her once her feet were planted on the ground. Once again, he made it look easy to lift someone who was not only his own body weight, but someone who was slightly taller than him.

“Thanks,” Haley sighed, making her way closer to Isaac and facing Derek.

“No problem,” Derek replied, smirk still present.

“Yeah, thanks,” Isaac stepped closer to the girl he hardly knew for a reason unknown to him. “But what was that thing?”

Haley's thoughts soon drifted to the same question, making her heartbeat pick up, and her ears perk with anticipation on hearing what the darker hair man had to say. Derek knew that question would come up soon because of the omega digging up the grave a few meters away from them. He could smell the fear and confusion from both teens. He debated how to say what he needed to say to them. He knew about Isaac's dad, so he knew his approach for him. The green-eyed female in front of him caught him off guard being here, so he had to come up with a way to either get her within the pack as well or just tell her what he was.

“An omega,” he stated simply, causing the teens to look at him questioningly.

Haley stared at him confused, but felt amusement. “So, like a lone wolf?”

Isaac looked at her confused because he knew for a fact, he had not seen a wolf pawing its way into that grave moments ago. The thing looked more human than wolf. Derek stared at her with amusement. He let his sense of smell take another whiff of her. She smelled human, but had a trace of something else he could not pin point though.

“Something like that,” he chuckled.

“But there are no wolves in California,” Isaac butted in.

“No, there isn’t,” Derek started, before closing his eyes, knowing he had to show them to prove himself. His eyes opened, allowing the teens to see his newly red, alpha eyes. This made both teens intake a sharp breath of air, as well as had them blink a few times, so they knew what they were seeing was real. “But there are werewolves.”

Isaac looked on in wonder, but he held some fear of what he just heard, thinking the worse. If Derek was a werewolf, did that mean he wanted to attack him and the girl next to him. Sensing the fear coming off of both teens, Derek blinked away his red eyes, returning to his normal cool, green color, but not before seeing the bright yellow aura around the girl. He stared at her again, but with confusion. Haley notice his confused stare, making her cock an eyebrow in thought. If anyone had to be confused it was her, not him. Not bringing it up, he shook his head, causing Isaac to look between Haley and him with uncertainty of what was going on.

Derek turned his line of sight to Isaac, giving him a smile, “I know what you go through at home, Isaac.”

Isaac's heartbeat rose with anxiety. He never thought anyone knew what went on at home. Actually, he knew no one knew what went on at the Lahey household at night when it was only his father and himself. He began to play with his hands, not knowing how to respond, especially with the female next to him. If one person knew, then fantastic, but two knowing was a little too much for him at this point in time. Especially with two people he knew nothing about. Somehow, Haley could hear his heartbeat pick up from the mere phrase Derek said, and she had no idea how she could hear his heartbeat because he moved away from her at this tense moment.

“You see Isaac,” Derek began again, letting Isaac soak in thought a bit more. “I’m what they call an alpha and I can make you strong. I can make the pain stop. You will have everything you need to not be afraid of him ever again.”

Haley watched as he stepped towards Isaac, making her step closer as well. Of course, this movement did not go unnoticed by either of the boys in front of her. She bit her bottom lip again with anxiety. She knew Isaac's deepest, darkest secret now and she felt that pull to protect him again. She also started to piece everything together from what she saw of him every day. The routine and never falling out of it. His father was abusing him and she knew now, which also made her know Isaac was uncomfortable with this situation more.

Before Isaac could comprehend what was actually being said, he blurted out a quick and quiet, “How?”

“By giving you the bite.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Please comment and rate! :)