In the End

55: I Don’t Think I Am Quite Ready Yet

“Where’d your mother go?”

Ariella, who was quietly trying to soothe Toby back to sleep, lifted her head slightly, her blue eyes looking towards where Gerard had stopped in the doorway, a soft smile on his face. They hadn’t stopped smiling, since Toby had arrived early the previous evening, neither Ariella nor Gerard had stopped smiling for longer than a few minutes at a time, and whilst they knew the novelty of the newborn’s arrival would fade after a few sleepless nights, they were keen to bask in the moment, still a little in awe of the idea that they’d welcomed the baby into the world.

It had been a surprisingly quiet night, after Ariella’s mother and Gerard’s parents had departed for the evening, the couple had been quick to settle down for some sleep, and whilst Toby had stirred a couple of times, he had had a rather relaxed night, something which had come as a relief to his mother and father who had been grateful for the opportunity to get a few decent hours of sleep.

“She headed outside” Ariella replied, dropping her stare back towards Toby who stirred a little, a sleepy yawn falling out of his mouth “She got a call from Stefan and said she’d go outside to take it. She should be back in a couple of minutes and then we can get out of here” she added.

Gerard, who’d stepped a little further into the room, nodded. “Did you make sure that we had packed everything?” he asked, scanning the room briefly.

“I can’t see anything we’ve left behind” Ariella replied “I mean, we’ve packed all of the stuff we bought for me and Toby. Did you pick up your phone and the charger from the cabinet?” she asked, smiling a little to herself as Toby stirred in her arms, letting out a small sleepy snuffle.

Gerard, who’d moved to collect his phone, caught the look on her face out of the corner of his eye before he shook his head, an amused smile perched on his lips. Stepping towards the cabinet, he unplugged the charger before he lifted his phone into his hands, frowning a little at the number of missed calls which filled the screen.

“Is everything Ok?”

Gerard, who’d been studying the lock screen of his phone, jumped a little at the sound of her voice before he turned, offering her a small nod. “Everything’s fine” he noted “I’ve just got a few missed calls on here from my coach. We’ve got a game tonight and I guess he was trying to get in touch with me to see if I was available” he added as he stepped towards the bed, sitting down at Ariella’s side.

Ariella nodded before she turned her head, diverting eyes back down towards Toby. “Are you going to go?” she asked gently.

Gerard, who’d followed her stare back down towards their sleeping son, hesitated for a second before he shook his head, his arm gently settling around her waist. “I’m tempted to” he admitted “I mean, his arriving when he did meant that I got a pretty decent night’s sleep, but I think they can probably make do without me this time around. I’m sure it will be hard on them, I am pretty great at what I do after all, but I don’t think I am quite ready to leave him yet” he added with a slightly boastful smile before he ducked down, pressing a soft kiss against the top of Toby’s head.

Ariella smiled at the two of them, noting just how sweet the two of them were together, before a small click reached her ears, causing her to lift her head slightly, peeking towards Estella who stood grinning in the doorway, a phone clasped in her hands as she snapped a picture of the three of them. “You didn’t take enough pictures when you were here last night, mama?” she quipped amusedly.

Estella shrugged. “I’m not going to apologise for taking pictures of the three of you” she quipped “It’s not my fault that you’re all so cute together” she added.

Gerard lifted his head and grinned at Estella. “We are, aren’t we?” he enthused.

Estella returned his smile warmly. “Of course you are” she mused “I mean, you’re a handsome guy, Gerard, and of course my daughter’s beautiful. She got all her good looks from me. it only makes sense that you’d make an adorable little baby together” she enthused warmly, causing Ariella to roll her eyes slightly, a faint blush spreading across her cheeks.

“Are we going to get moving, mama?” Ariella quipped.

Estella nodded. “If you’re ready, then, of course” she mused as she stepped across the room, lifting one of the bags up off of the floor “I’ve fitted the car seat so it’s ready go when you are. I also got a call from your papa, Ella” she added.

Ariella, who’d carefully stood up, lifted an eyebrow. “Papa called you?” she posed. It was a surprise, despite her mother and father being on relatively good terms, they very rarely spoke, and it surprised Ariella that Jacob had opted to call Estella rather than her or Gerard, even if they had been distracted. She was surprised that he had opted to call Estella.

Estella smirked a little at the surprise in her daughter’s voice before she nodded. “He didn’t want to disturb you” she noted “So he called me last night after he got your text about Toby’s arrival. He can’t make it over this weekend, but he, Sabrina and the boys are looking to come over next weekend. He told me to tell you to call him when you get the chance to confirm with him” she added.

“I can do that” Ariella replied “But first, can we get out of here?” she asked hopefully.

“I think that that can be arranged” Gerard mused with a warm smile before he stepped towards her, gently taking Toby into his arms.

Ariella smiled back at him warmly for a few seconds before she padded towards the door, following Estella out of it.

~#~
“What is he wearing?” Ariella quipped amusedly as she stopped in the doorway, her eyes settling on Gerard who sat up on the bed, Toby’s tiny frame curled up against his chest. It had been a quiet day, with Estella having departed not long after she had driven the three of them home, they’d enjoyed a quiet day to themselves, and Ariella was grateful for it, even if she knew that it was only a matter of time before their friends and families arrived to make more of a fuss of Toby’s arrival. She was grateful for the opportunity to have some time along, just her, Gerard, and their newborn.

Gerard, who’d been staring up at the television on the wall, smirked a little before he lifted his head. “What does it look like?” he quipped.

“He’s a day old” Ariella retorted with a smile as she padded towards the bed, sitting down beside him “You couldn’t leave it a week or so?” she posed, gently tugging on the little Barcelona shirt that Toby wore.

Gerard merely shrugged, smiling at her impishly. “We’re about to watch the match” he quipped “It seemed like a good opportunity to me” he added.

Ariella rolled her eyes before she shuffled a little closer to Gerard’s side, allowing him to slip his arm around her shoulders. “You spoke to your papa?” he posed, disturbing the comfortable silence which had settled over the two of them.

Ariella nodded, stifling a soft yawn into her hand. “I video called him” she noted “He said that he and the others will probably get in next Friday night. They’ll be here pretty early Saturday morning” she explained.

Gerard nodded. “I got a text from Cesc” he noted “He’s going to come over Monday. I figured we could schedule Leo and Antonella for the same time” he added.

“Sounds like a good idea” Ariella replied.

“I was due for one eventually” Gerard retorted with a small smile.

Ariella giggled before she shuffled away from him slightly, moving to curl up against her pillow. “You don’t mind me taking a nap, do you?” she posed, looking at him over her shoulder “I mean, if you want me to watch...”

“Get some sleep, Ella” Gerard interrupted with a small chuckle.

Ariella offered him a tired smile before she turned back over, allowing a silence to fill the bedroom for a few minutes before Gerard gently leant over, kissing her temple softly. “I love you, Ella” he murmured “I love you so much” he added gently.

Ariella stirred a little at the feel of his lips against her skin before she mumbled a soft ‘love you too’, something which made Gerard’s smile widen.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Twisted;;Symphony, FootieJo and mslou1 for the comments :)