What She Found

Chapter 18

MONDAY, DECEMBER 17 - 6:00PM


Maya turned her head and whispered, "Do you see him yet?"

Static filled her ear. "Not yet," Reese answered. "Hayden said the photo she has of him was taken a few years ago, so he probably still looks the same. How do you feel? You look good."

Maya's eyes narrowed at the van across the parking lot, where she knew he was watching her. "Shut up," she murmured, as she fixed the tight dress he'd convinced her to wear. "What if he's not interested?"

"Then you'll still get to look nice, and you can get someone to buy you free drinks," Reese said with a chuckle.

"Right." Maya moved her hair over her ear, to hide the object nestled inside. "It's cold out here. Can I go inside yet?"

"Not until he shows, or you'll miss him."

"How do you even know he'll be here?"

"Hayden said he was like clockwork. He frequented this bar a lot growing up. Trust her."

"But she hasn't seen him in years, Reese. Things change."

"I trust her."

"Of course you do," Maya said quietly. "I know this isn't just any other case to you, that it's important, and I know why. I see the way you look at her."

"Don't do this now." Reese's tone was harsh. "Please."

Maya shook her head dismissively. "We need to catch him. Before he hurts anyone else. Did you talk to Hunter Copeland?"

"I called him this afternoon. He said he would come in tomorrow morning to help us out. He said he'll do anything to help Hayden."

"That's something you and him have in common," Maya muttered.

Reese sighed. "You're helping her, too, you know."

"I know," she replied. "So what happens if he's not the guy?"

"Then we keep looking, but I really think he is. The way Hayden described him, and the whole inheritance issue, it makes sense."

"Occam's razor," Reese whispered.

"The simplest explanation is usually the right one," Maya supplied for him. She stepped closer to the van.

There was a sudden noise in her ear. Reese. His words didn't make sense.

"Get back!"

She heard the car before she saw it; the headlights cut across her face, blinding her. Lifting her hand to shield her eyes, Maya's body froze. When the hood of the car hit her, she slammed into the windshield, then rolled off the vehicle onto the concrete.

Her whole body was hot, and it ached everywhere. Her chest burned. As she coughed, blood filled her mouth, and spilled onto her chin and dripped down her neck.

In the distance, she heard a voice screaming her name.