Status: In-Progress

Life Unexpected

Four.

Brian chapter 3

“What do you think Claire?” I looked up from my note pad at Brian’s dad.

“It sounds great pops.” I smiled. “These kids are going to love it.”

He chuckled as he ran his fingers over the strings of the guitar again. “Have you herd from Brian?”

I glanced at my cell phone ignoring the several missed calls. “No sir. I’m sure he’ll be here soon.”

I hadn’t really talked to Brian in the past week. Okay maybe I was avoiding him.
Ever since he kissed me I had distanced myself. I hadn’t hardly talked to anyone recently including Jay. I was mostly working from my apartment and if I had to ask about the school I’d go through Brians dad. It was proving to be difficult though. I know pops was getting tired of bouncing back and forth between Brian and I.

“Look Claire. I don’t know what happened between the both of you, but you guys need to move past it.” I watched as he set his guitar down. “You guys have been friends for far to long to let anything get in between you guys.”

“I know. I just feel like it might be a lot more complicated, with Michelle and stuff.” I sighed. I hated talking about all of this.

“Brian and Michelle have had problems for a long time. Whatever happens has been a long time coming.” He chuckled. “Besides I’m pretty sure he’s filed for divorce.”

“What?!” As if on que Brian walked into the studio. He looked exhausted, his hair a mess and bags under his eyes. He clearly hadn’t slept properly in a few days.

“Hey dad, Claire, didn’t know you’d be here.” He mumbled, setting his guitar case down.

“I was actually just going.” I stood up as I gathered my paperwork and laptop.

“Don’t be silly Claire.” Pops smiled. “We all know you guys need to talk.” It honestly felt like pops was giving us that whole lecture ‘figure your shit out and move on’. “I’ll see you at home son.” Pops patted Brian on the shoulder before leaving us.

I waited a few moments before I spoke. “I’ll go.” I sighed. It felt awkward between Brian and I, and I absolutely hated it.

“Don’t.” Brian finally spoke up. “We do need to talk. I know you’ve been avoiding me.” He ran a hand through his hair.

“You’re married Brian and you kissed me.” I sat my stuff back down as I finally looked up at him. “And Jay, god I can’t even talk to him without feeling guilty and we weren’t even really together!” I felt myself raising my voice. “Michelle has always had problems with me Brian. Because she has always thought we were sleeping together and fooling around and now she’s right and I hate it!” I was doing everything in my power not to cry. I finally met his eyes, he looked deep in thought.

“I filed for divorce the other day.” I hated how calm he seemed. “Claire, I’m not sorry I kissed you. Sure when we were younger I might have only looked at you as one of my best friends. But when you started helping me with all of this,” he motioned his arms around the studio. “It really dawned on me the feelings I’ve had for you. I’m almost certain I’m in love with you.”

When Brian finished talking I couldn’t find the right words to say. I had wanted Brian to say those things to me for what seemed like forever. But hearing him say them now made me feel sick.

Maybe it was the whole Michelle thing?

“I realize I might have just fucked everything up between us, but I couldn’t hold it in anymore.” I was frozen in my spot as Brian continued to talk. “But I know you love me too and have for a while.” I furrowed my eyebrows at his smirk.

“Excuse me?!” I finally found my voice as everything he said to me registered. “What makes you say that?”

“We all have seen how you look at me Claire and they way you’d do almost anything for me-“ I stopped him from talking.

“You know, I feel like we might have been getting somewhere with this talk, but you had to go and get all cocky.” I grabbed my things off the chair. “And clearly I thought I was in love with you, but now.” I looked up at him one last time. “I’m not so sure.”

Before Brian could speak I walked out of the studio. Once I climbed into my car I didn’t try and stop the tears anymore. How could he be so cocky in a moment like that. I shook my head as I whipped away the tears.
♠ ♠ ♠
A little short. But there’s more drama ahead.

Why do you think Brian was cocky in that moment?
How do you think you would have handled that situation?

Thank you to everyone who has commented, subscribed and recommended.

Xxpetaldreams