Status: in progress

Promises to Keep

family planning

"Oh my god, Tay!" Katie exclaimed happily.

"Girl, we're so happy for you!" Justin added with a wide grin. "How far along?"

"Only a month" Tayla confirmed, having just gotten back from the doctor. Tyler was set to come back from his road trip later in the evening, their plane having issues. Of course he was the first person she wanted to tell, but it was something she wanted to do in person. "I hope Tyler's not mad" she added softly.

"Mad? Why would he be mad?" Justin asked, curiously.

"Mad that I didn't tell him first" Tayla stated. "For one, and for two, that... you know, we're going to have a baby" the words still felt strange coming out of her mouth. "God, that sounds so weird... doesn't it?" she asked, letting out a small smile.

"I doubt he'll be mad about either of those things" Katie told Tayla calmly. "We won't say anything that we knew first, for one" Katie laughed, and Justin agreed. "And Tyler loves you. He won't be mad, it's not like you did it on purpose" she pointed out.

"Yeah, I guess..." Tayla trailed off. "It just happened I'm assuming because last month I was on antibiotics for my ear infection" she realized the error of her ways. "Dammit, it kind of is my fault"

"Okay, there's no such thing as 'fault' in this" Justin told Tayla sternly. "It takes two to tango"

"Exactly" Katie continued for him. "You just need to tell him ASAP. I know it's scary, but you have us, Jamie and of course, Tyler are all going to support you through all of this" she added, and Tayla sighed.

"I know you're right, I guess I just didn't think this would be the circumstances, you know?" Tayla explained. "I thought I'd be married before I had a kid"

"We all think a lot of things" Justin pointed out.

"We all have plans of what we want for the future, and then life happens." Katie shrugged. "It's no big deal. You've been through bumps in the road before, just consider this one of them. It'll be a struggle at first, but then I think you and Tyler both will realize the good in it"

"That's real deep" Justin commented, putting his hand on his heart.

"Oh, shut up" Katie shoved him lightly. "But for real, just talk to him when he comes home later- everything will be fine"

Tayla nodded, trying to gain confidence. She wasn't sure what made her so nervous, but until she told him, she knew the anxiety would rage through her.

"I can do this" she breathed, trying to instill confidence in herself.

**************************************

"This is a great dinner, Tay" Tyler complimented with a large smile. After being on the road, even for just a few days, coming home to Tayla's home cooking was always bliss. He had gotten home a lot later than he had wanted, and missed Tayla immensely.

"I try" Tayla smiled with a small shrug, a heavy confession weighing on her mind.

"Where's your wine? It's strange to see you without it" Tyler commented, noticing Tayla's lack of wine glass in front of her. Instead, she had water; something Tyler knew Tayla tried to avoid drinking if she had to.

"I- erm, I'm trying to cut back" Tayla said, wide eyed. She put down her fork and knife, and looked at Tyler with a serious look on her face. "Look, I need to talk to you about something" she finally just bit the bullet. She couldn't chicken out forever.

"Oh?" Tyler asked, putting down his fork as well. His heart began to beat at a rapid pace, he began to fear the worst. He knew Jamie was right when he said he needed to forgive himself for what he had done, but he had a hard time doing so. Was Tayla realizing the same?

"It's nothing bad- I mean, I guess it depends on your definition of bad" Tayla rambled, her nerves getting the better of her.

"Is everything okay?" Tyler asked, concerned.

"Yeah- I'm okay.. I mean I guess we are okay" she gestured to just herself.

"What do you...?" Tyler trailed off, not taking the hint.

"I'm pregnant" Tayla blurted out, not being able to stop herself. The room became eerily silent at the confession, neither of them saying anything. Tyler was just starring at Tayla, shell shocked.

"You're- you're what?" Tyler finally asked, his voice cracking. His eyes were still wide with surprise; it was the last thing that he had expected to hear come out of Tayla's mouth.

"Yeah... about a month" she whispered, not getting the reaction she had been hoping for. She wasn't sure what type of reaction she was going to get, but this wasn't it.

"I- I wow" Tyler breathed, still shocked. He couldn't believe it; he was going to be a father. He would be lying if he said he hadn't always thought about having kids with Tayla. He always imagined marrying her and starting a family; he just didn't think it would happen this soon.

"I hope you're not mad" Tayla cut into his thoughts.

"Mad? Why would I be mad?" Tyler asked, confused.

"You're just not saying anything, and I know we're young and I don't want to ruin anything for you-"

"Ruin? What have you ruined?" Tyler asked, with a wide grin. "We're going to be a family" he smiled widely. "I'm going to be a father"

"You're- you're excited?" Tayla asked, surprised.

"Yes! Why wouldn't I be!?" Tyler asked with a smile. "I've always wanted to start a family with you, Tay" Tyler confessed with a wide grin. Tayla felt her heart beat return to a normal pace.

"We're going to be a family" Tayla whispered with a smile.

"We are" Tyler smiled back, slinging his arm around her shoulder. "If it's a boy, he'll be the future star of the NHL" Tyler declared, and Tayla laughed.

"No doubts he will be" Tayla smiled. "But, I think it'll be a girl" Tayla told him with confidence.

"I bet it's going to be a boy" Tyler smirked.

"I guess we'll find out in three more months" Tayla smiled, putting her hand on her stomach. "It feels so surreal, you know?" Tayla continued. "I can't believe it" she added in a whisper.

"I couldn't be more excited" Tyler smiled, now having another thought. "Can I ask you something?"

"Sure" Tayla was still smiling.

"Will you move back in with me?" Tyler asked nervously. "I know it might be too soon, but I just want-"

"I thought you'd never ask" Tayla interrupted him, smiling and placing a kiss on his lips. "I love you, Ty" she whispered softly.

"I love you too" he replied, the two feeling happier than they ever had.