Take Me to the Races

The Noose Tightens

“This should not be mandatory,” Maverick growls. Technically for Tomoko, Trev, and I it wasn’t mandatory, but our history teacher was helping out with the event for our period.
“You’re telling me, it so damn hot in here.” I groan and fan myself. There was too much body heat in the school auditorium. It was making me feel like I was having hot flashes.
“Deodorant is a thing people! Your stink asses need it!” He yells out.
“Stop it you two.” Tomoko scolds us.
“You have to admit some people do need it.” Trev kept his hands over his mouth and nose.
I look up at the stage to see all the candidates for student body presidents and Mrs. Copper. “Hurry up and start already, so we can get this over with.” I grumbled.
As if she could hear me, Mrs. Cooper took her place at the podium. “Okay, now just a quick reminder, that this school hall is a PTA sponsored event. Oh, looks like we have our first question.”
Sweet Pea stood up and Fang took a seat on the top of his chair to show his support. “Yeah, no offense to the, uh, current administration, but it doesn't feel like anyone's looking out for the students who are being bus in from the Southside. Is that going to change?”
“Oh does someone need their hand held?” Maverick crackled making the tall serpent turn and glare at him.
“Absolutely, Sweet Pea, that's our priority. No one should feel marginalized or excluded here.” Jughead address him by name made me roll my eyes, like he wasn’t going to be playing favorites if he got elected.
“Jughead and I will be representing all students, North and Southside alike.” Betty backed up her boyfriend.
“Next question, yes, Midge?” Mrs. Cooper points to the cheerleader.
“My question is for Archie and Veronica. Rumor has it that your parents will soon be on opposite sides of the mayoral election, won't that negatively affect your working relationship?” She asks making Josie shot them a smug look.
“Archie and I adhere to the old maxim that politics are never discussed at the dinner or the cafeteria table.” Veronica said getting a laugh from the crowd.
“Veronica and I are on the same page about everything, including her family's plans for a prison on the Southside.” Archie let it be known that they weren’t on opposite sides.
“In the meantime, however we're committed to improving the quality of life at Riverdale High, which means more extracurricular.” Veronica steer the conversation away from her parents.
“Reggie and I agree. Except, add the fact that we can and will deliver results.” Josie cut her off.
“And we're chill, unlike these guys.” Reggie got a laugh from the crowd.
I stood up and made my way out in desperate need for some fresh air. “Abigail Andrews, what are you doing here? This isn’t your class.” Mrs. Cooper spotted me.
“I brought my class along since I’m helping out.” Mrs. Haggly explains my presences to Mrs. Cooper. “Where are you going Ms. Andrews?” She ask me.
“Just to get some fresh air, it’s stuffy in here.” I explain.
“You can go after you ask a question.” She told me.
“But, I’m not even in this grade.” I tug on the end of my long sleeve shirt, not being comfortable with all these upperclassmen eyes on me.
“As the moderator of this event, I will allow it.” Mrs. Cooper said in her normal arrogant fashion. Miss Haggly’s glares show that she didn’t appreciate the tone either.
“What’s your idea for the theme of the next dance?” I ask.
“That’s your question about a dance?” Mrs. Cooper raises an eyebrow.
“I’m asking a question to high school student body president candidates not the president of the United States.” I roll my eyes. “They organize school events like dances and spirit week. They don’t have any real power. So think about who throws the best parties.” I throw up a peace sign as I left the crowded room. I took a few dramatic deep breathes as I made my way to the student lounge having no intention of going back in that room.

I was in the kitchen making a big pot of gumbo with a pair of unwanted eyes watching me. “Can I help you with something?” I turn around to snap at the eldest person in the cabin with my hands on my hips.
“Just wondering how you can stand it.” Penny Peabody sneer as she eyes me in disgust like she did ever time she saw me.
“Stand what?” I grind my teeth.
“How can you stand playing housewife, especially when you were going to meeting and making big decisions? You were a boss, but now that daddy back you’re just a worker. How can you be happy going back to being a slave and a bed warmer?” She stares like I was the reason that women were being oppressed.
“I don’t like going to meetings. Women have freedom when they have a choice. I choose to stay out of the action, while you choose to be in the middle of it.” I roll my eyes. I pull the biscuits out of the oven when it dinged.
She let out a bitter chuckle. “That’s the problem with this town, the women don’t mind being worthless to let their men shine. Women like you who like being maids, cooks, and whores for men.”
“Did you call her a whore?” Malachai quickly came around the corner and push her up against the wall. He hovered over her threaten. His hands kept a tight grip on her arms keeping them at her side as he snarled in her face like a wild animal. “She’s a queen. No one force her to do anything. She’s not a whore, she’s a queen. She does whatever she wants, if that is cooking, cleaning, or fucking me that’s her business. As far as I’m concerned she’s the most important person here, because she makes the Ghoulie a family. Now, if you want to be hanging around here when you got no reason to be like you have been for the past few days you’ll respect the glue that is the Ghoulie Queen.” He hisses at her, getting sprays of saliva on her. Despite ending his speech, he didn’t move his intimidating stance. She was beginning to cry from how hard he was squeezing her arms. She should be thankful it’s wasn’t her throat.
“My king, will you get the bowls from the top shelf for me?” I ask. Even though he called me queen often, I rarely call him king. Babe, love, and daddy roll off my tongue naturally when I spoke to him. Calling him king was like my trump card. He could never deny me when I did. I didn’t like Penny, but she was still useful.
“Sure thing babe,” He snarls at her again before doing as I asked.
I gave him a kiss after he put the bowls on the counter. I pull away to stir the gumbo. I glare when I saw the middle age blonde was still up against the wall. She was breathing heavy with wide eyes. She was rubbing her upper arms that were already developing bruises. I roll my eyes. Jughead cut a piece of her skin off and she’s making like being push up against the wall was traumatic. “Can I help you with something?” I cock my head as I smirk at her.
She looks at Malachai over my shoulder, who no doubt was being menacing, before darting out of the room.
“My knight in leather,” I grab the collar of his leather jacket to pull him down for another kiss.

My mom and I were in the kitchen making breakfast for dinner, while Jughead and dad where in the dining room writing his speech.
“That is not how Archie likes his eggs.” I stop her before she could pour the scrambled egg mixture into the pan.
“Its scramble eggs, there only one way to do it.” She glares at me as she pours the plain eggs into the pan.
“Archie likes his scramble eggs with a splash of milk and a lot of cheese. Dad likes his with garlic powder and a pinch of red pepper flakes.” I inform her.
“When did this family get so complicated with their food?” She groan, frustrated with all the changes.
“Since, I start making them good food.” I smirk.
“Okay that’s it.” My mom slams the spatula down before turning to me. “I understand that you’re upset about me leaving, but I won’t let this disrespect go on any longer. Leaving was the hardest decision I ever had to make. But, if I stayed I would have grown bitter and the fighting with your father would have gotten worse. You and your brother don’t deserve to live in that kind of environment.” She looks at me with heartbreak written all over her face.
I realize I dehumanize her and made her out to be a villain. I let my pain blind me to the fact that she was hurting too. But, I was too stubborn to let it go. “You could have stayed in Riverdale.” I had to look at the floor not wanting to face her.
“I tried honey, I really did. But, at the time Riverdale was the perfect small town. There was no need for a lawyer here. Chicago had more opportunities for me.” Her voice cracked as she explains.
I look up to see her in tears, which made me cry to think that I been hurting her when all this time I assume she didn’t care about me. “I’m sorry for being so cruel for so long. I’m sorry for never seeing thing from your point of view.” I hug her. She was quick to give me a hug back.
“No, I’m sorry I should have visited and called more.” She hugs me tightly.
“You probably would have if I hadn’t been so hostile.” I hung my head in shame.
She pulls back and cups my face. “Hey, don’t blame yourself. You’re not the adult in this situation, I am. I should have made you have this talk a long time ago.” She wipes away my tears. I reach up to wipe hers away.
The smell of something burning pulls us out of our moment. “The eggs!” Mom grabs the pan off the stove and scrapes the burnt eggs into the trash can.
“We finish the speech…whoa did something burn?” Dad came in the kitchen with Archie and Jughead following him.
“The eggs,” Mom told him.
“Oh I like mine with...” Dad was going to tell her.
“With garlic powder and red pepper flakes, I know our daughter been telling me about the changes around here.” She gave me a smile which I return making the males in the room drop their jaws.
“Just a pinch of red pepper flakes or I’ll have heartburn all night.” Dad smiled at us getting along.
“I know how Archie likes his eggs, how do you like them Jugs?” She asks.
“With cinnamon and chocolate syrup,” I laugh.
“I tried your dessert eggs once and never again.” He rubs his stomach in memory of the pain.
“I gave you Pepto Bismol.” I shrug. I wanted to try making it and Jug never turn down food.
“The cheesy eggs Archie gets will be fine with me.” Jugs told my mom.
“Me too,” I nod my head. “I’ll set the table.” I grab the plates, napkins, and utensils.
“I’ll help.” Jughead grab the plates of sausage links, bacon, and hash browns. We took everything to the dining room table. For a while we work in silence, until Jughead started talking. “The Ghoulies are oddly quiet. No one has even seen them around the Southside.” He finishes setting his side of the table.
“They went into hiding. I only see them at school.” I shrug putting a fork and knife by each plate.
“Have you been visiting Malachai?” He asks very casual, making it even more suspicious.
“You know I have.” I roll my eyes. He saw me there when he was picking F.P. from prison.
“How is he doing?” He ignore my annoyed tone and continue to try and be nonchalant, but even an idiot could see he was digging for information.
“Prison has been great for him. It’s helping him see the error in his ways. He’s completely reformed. When he gets out, he’s going to disband the Ghoulies and go to college.” I shot him a fake smile, before going back into the kitchen to grab cups and jug of orange juice.
I brought it back into the dining room where Jughead was waiting for me. “I don’t want to be your enemy, Abby.” He grabs the orange juice from me to put it down on the table.
“You drew that line in the sand a while ago.” I put a cup by each plate. “Don’t pretend like you care to be friends. We were never really friends. I’m not stupid, you want information. Now I’m willing to be civil if you don’t bring gangs into this.” I sat down at the table.
He sat across from me. The rest of my family came in carrying everyone choice of eggs. Dad place mine in front of me while Archie put Jughead’s in front of him. We enjoy a nice dinner, managing to avoid the topics of politics and gangs.

I held the umbrella over my head as I stood with my mom and dad in front of the Mayor’s office. We were waiting for my brother, so that my dad could make his announcement.
“I think maybe we should just start.” Mom looks at her watch, knowing that the camera weren’t going to wait forever.
“Yeah, maybe you're right.” He nods with disappointment.
“I'm sorry, Fred.” She reaches out to rub his arm in comfort.
“It's okay. You know, he's busy. I get it. I'm glad both of you are here though.” He pretends to not be hurt by his son’s absence. He walked up to the podium with my mom and me following behind him.
“Good afternoon. My name is Fred Andrews. I stand before you today, a humble resident of this town - to announce my candidacy for Mayor.” He greets the crowd and gave them his news causing them to cheer. While he was delivering his speech perfectly, I couldn’t help but wonder what Mr. Lodge had Archie doing at this moment because that was the only person he would miss this for.