Take Me to the Races

A Night to Remember

I growl, shoving in my face into my pillow and pull the side over my ears trying to block out the noise. When it didn’t work, I roll out of bed and stomped my way to Archie’s door where the stupid singing was coming from. I slam my fist into the door to get them to quit it. I yelled, “Practice in the soundproof garage you ass hats.” I went back to my room and throw myself on the bed. I let out a groan of frustration when I realize I had too much rage flowing through my veins to go back to sleep.
I curse Kevin for putting on this stupid musical. Everyone has been singing lately whether they had the vocal skill to do so or not. I was happy that the play was tonight, then all the singing would stop.
I decide the next time I would hear singing would be at the play. I was going to ditch school and spend the day with Malachai. I got up to get ready for my day of slacking off. I change into a white shirt that bad girls club written on it with Ursula, Cruella De Ville, Maleficent, and the Evil Queen on it. I put on a pair of black leggings that had the poison apples from Snow White on the side. I brush my hair doing nothing else to it and basic make up like I did for a usual day of school. I don’t want to raise any suspicions; this was why I was also taking my school bag with me.
I slide on some black converse before walk out of the house, managing to avoid everyone. I pull my Marauders Map lanyard that had the truck keys attach to it out of my backpack and got into the truck. I began the drive to the beautiful cabin.
I grit my teeth as I drove over a large tree root making the truck rattle. “I think it safe to say that we both can’t wait to never drive through the woods again.” I reach up to rub the roof of the red hot mama.
I park in front of the cabin and went inside. I went in the kitchen to make a bowl of Funko Pennywise cereal. I grab a bottle of water and an orange. I put it all on a tray before carrying it up to the master bedroom. I was surprised to see him up and watching SpongeBob, drink the milk from a bowl he had in his hands.
“Morning babe,” I smile at him and put the tray on the nightstand by him.
“Morning love, I was just about to get another bowl.” He gave me a kiss on the cheek and switches his empty bowl for the full one.
I kick off my shoes and climb into the bed. “I decide to play hooky today.” I told him.
“Fuck yeah. If I had to spend another day by myself I would go crazy.” He gave me his mad grin. It made me want to dress him as the mad hatter for Halloween, but I know he would never go for that. He already bought a Michael Myers mask.
“Cricket and Sassy don’t keep you company?” I ask.
“We already made all the jingle jangle we could. So we kind have been doing our own thing. Sassy spend all day doing the school work you guys did the day before. Cricket plays video game, the damn plot kind that only has one player.” He grumbled. I nod, Sassy been saying that she wanted to catch up in school. Cricket loves her video games.
“What do you want to do today?” I ask.
“We could have another horror movie marathon.” He smirks.
My eyes flick over to the two bookshelves that were packed with horror movies. Leatherface and Myers masks were on top of it with Freddy Krueger’s glove. “Do we have to?” I pout. I enjoy watching the movie, but I got so paranoid after. For the rest of the week I’ll be jumpy and scream at nothing. Something that every Ghoulie thought was hilarious.
“How about we watch one that you already seen, that way you’ll know the scary parts?” He reason with me.
“Okay. I’ll pick the first movie.” I went over to the bookshelves.
“That means we’ll be watching Beetlejuice.” He sighs. It was my favorite movie of his, so we watch it about a hundred times.
“You know it, babe.” I throw him a wink over my shoulder and put the movie in. I grab the remote off the DVD player and crawl back into bed. He put the bowl on the side and pulls me into his arms.
“I hope you know we’re going to watch The Conjuring next.” He grabs the remote from me.
“No,” I push my face into his chest. That movie had some many pop ups it was impossible to remember them all.
“Don’t worry babe, I’ll protect you all night long.” He winks at me as he hit play. I left my head up to watch Barbara and Adam Maitland drive off the bridge into the lake.

Archie was leading us into the garage, because he had a surprise for dad. “Don't you have a show to get ready for?” He asks him.
“Yeah I do, but this couldn't wait. I gave back the Firebird, Dad and I sold some of my music stuff so I could buy this off of Junkyard Steve.” Archie show him the covered car. Dad pull fabric off to see a broken down old fashion car. “It needs a lot of work Dad, but I'm up for it if you are.”
“You better get going, Arch. I don't want you to be late.” Dad had to clear his throat to stop himself from getting choked up. Archie smile at him as he walked out of the garage, happy that he was making things right with dad.
I turn back to my father and watch him go through a world wind of emotions. He looks up at me with regret on his face. “This is great, dad.” I patted his shoulder, not understanding why he was upset.
“No, it is. I’m happy that Archie is making an effort in our relationship. But, I can’t help feeling like I didn’t make an effort in ours. I never thought about doing anything with you. I used to daydream about a son, not a daughter, but that’s not an excuse. I’m sorry.” He let a tear drop as he stares at me.
“What are you talking about dad? We have a great relationship.” I shook my head.
“Yeah because of you, as a kid you use to drag me to every father daughter dance and make me play tea party with you. Now, you come down to the construction site to help with the office or to have lunch with me. I may so thankful for that.” He pulls me into a tight hug.
I hugged him back, not believe that I have made both of my parents cried. “Come on dad let’s get ready to see the future stars of Broadway.” I pull back laughing. He laughs along with me. We went back into the house to get ready. I throw on a pair of jeans and a blue v-neck. I walked down the stairs to see my dad in another flannel with a pair of black jeans. I chuckle wondering if he had another else in his closet. Mom was wearing a green dress.
“Come on, kid let’s go.” We got into dad’s pickup truck and rode to the school. We went into the auditorium and took a seat in the middle of the fifth row. I was sitting with my mom to my right and an empty seat to my left.
“Hey, is this seat taken?” Someone ask me.
I look up to tell them that it wasn’t, when I saw that it was Chic. “Hey, I haven’t seen you in a while?” I got up to give him a hug.
“I got my own place, it was nice getting to know my family but it was a lot of drama. I’m here for Betty.” He gave me a squeeze before letting me go. “You want to come with me to wish our sibling good luck?”
“I don’t think we allow backstage.” I shook my head.
“I’m pretty sure we can sneak backstage, I heard security sucks here.” He chuckles.
“Alright,” I turn to my parents. “Mom, Dad, I’m going to go with Chic backstage.” After they nod their head, we head to our destination. He was right, no one stop us or questioned what we were doing back here. We eventually found the room with Betty, Archie, Veronica and Chuck in it.
“Hey Betty.” Chic leans against the door frame.
“Hi Archie, Veronica, Chuck.” I pop up from behind Chic to wave to everyone else in the room. My brother eyes went wide in shock from seeing me with Betty’s weird brother.
“Chic, you made it.” She got up. She had a shocked look on her face; I couldn’t tell if she was happy or upset that he was there. Even though, from her statement she had to have invited him.
“Of course, I wouldn't miss this for the world.” He told her.
“Five minutes to places, people!” Kevin yells out to them from down the hall.
“You should get back to your seat, Chic. You're not really allowed to be backstage.” I narrow my eyes, the way she spoke to him was every confusing. It was like she was fearful but still being stern.
“No problem. Break a leg, sis.” He smiled at her. Internally I was shaking my head at him, did he really have to choose that expression.
“Good luck you guy. You all look adorable in your retro outfits.” I gave them two thumbs up before we went back to our seats.
I was surprised that I was actually enjoying the play. At the moment Mrs. Cooper’s character was singing/praying to god for forgiveness for how she abuses her daughter. “All right, Carrietta, it's time to come out of your closet.” She called out to Midge.
The backdrop went up to reveal the girl in a crucifix pose. Tears fill my eyes as I took in the blood cover cheerleader. She was being pinned to the wall with a scissor in each arm, a knife in her shoulder and two more knifes in each hip. In her own blood around her was written, "I Am Back From The Dead. All Those Who Escaped Me Before Will Die... B.H"
“Dad, we have to get you out of here.” I told him after reading the message.
“For God's sake, help her!” Cheryl screams. Everyone in the crowd started to scream. Mrs. Cooper turns around in confusion to let out a horror movie scream. Everyone began to rush out of here.
“Everyone get our legs up, you don’t have to get trampled in this stampede,” Dad orders. Mom, Chic and I did what we were told. I look around trying to spot a black hood, but identifying anyone was hard in this chaos.
I started to panic thinking about everyone I cared about in this room. “Breathe honey, breathe.” Mom rubs my back and whisper in my ear. “I’m going to get Archie and we’re getting the hell out of here.” She stood up and like a bad ass made her way through the crowd to get her son.
I couldn’t breathe normally even when we got home. In the middle of the night I sneak out needing to be in Malachai’s arm, knowing that I would feel safe there.